“Great family vacation”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Gaylord in Grapevine is a great place to take the kids. We had a nice, big room with a den and pull out couch. Two tv's so kids could watch what they wanted. The water park was a blast. Our room was an atrium room so it did get loud about 2am or whenever young people were coming in from the onsite disco, but other than that, we loved it. The fireworks were so fun. We ate at the nice steakhouse which was phenominal, with great service and good wine selection. The character breakfast with Shrek was a lot of fun. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms away from where guests will be coming in from partying in the wee hours of th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,187)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I think that I have finally realized what it is about this hotel. I tend to be here on business and it is not really geared to that purpose. Internet is an additional cost which I expect to be standard in business hotels. Parking is expensive for a hotel that is not in the downtown core and I do not expect to pay for parking. I have stayed at this hotel more than 5 times now and the first time when everything was new was likely the best stay. As a resort or vacation the attractions may be better suited but families may find it a tad expensive. I think that I may be a bit harsh on the review but if it is a business trip, a lot of the attractions are wasted or there is no time to enjoy them and you would likely enjoy this more for leisure than business.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cangolf
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have stayed here several times, but have never been able to go to the waterpark. I made reservations for the weekend after Labor Day. It is still very hot in Texas. When I made the reservation, I asked what time the waterpark was open. I was told the waterpark would be open until 10 PM. On Wednesday before our reservation on Saturday, I received a call saying the waterpark had closed for the season. Are you kidding me-it is still so hot in Texas? I told them that I was told it would be open, and they just said "sorry, it is closed." I asked if they would at least waive the $25 resort fee or waive the $20 parking fee and all they said was all they could do would let me cancel my reservation which was what we did. I will not go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelorfromtx
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at the Gaylord Texas for a Nerium International Fall Bash 2012~The Hotel was fabulous, friendly and most of all everyone we encountered was very helpful, with directions, special needs, conveniences, etc. If you like Texas style, this company has done it right. The place is a vacation itself. It made me feel at home, with all the luxuries you can imagine. I will be back and it won't be long. Thanks for a wonderful weekend and business adventure.

Room Tip: The atrium view is awe inspiring, especially the Alamo and the landscaping is very well done.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Our stay at Gaylord Texan was part vacation, part business. If you want to feel like a green house flower, then you would love this hotel. It is almost as large as some casinos in Vegas. The main focus of this hotel is really meetings and conferences which is done professionally and efficiently. As for children, there is an indoor pool, outdoor pool and an amazing water park but it had closed on Labor Day so my kids missed out and had to settle for the pool. If you want to leave this beautiful green house, there is a shuttle service that is $10 for family of four or $5 per person all day but during the week, the don't start until 3pm. The shuttle takes you to Old Town Grapevine, Mills Outlet Mall, Bass Pro Shop (amazing), other hotels and DFW airport. The hotel has car service but there is a fee. It cost us $10 each way for a drive to the outlet mall which is almost 3 miles away. We didn't mind walking but there are really no walking paths to the mall. Taxis charge about $12 for the same trip. So a suggestion for all those conference attendees is to rent a car to get around. Our beds were very hard and the price of food is as expensive as NY.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We went to the Gaylord Texan for a convention and to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Every thing was fabulous..the food at the different restaurants was absolutely wonderful. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The Gaylord is beautiful and well cared for, very clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: I can't imagine a "bad" room in the whole hotel. Our room was on the 8th floor and loo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Was there for a conference. Like the property in Orlando, this hotel is huge and fairly well laid out. Rooms were clean and regular sized. Some issues I had were related to costs and service. The bars were way understaffed and it was often quite difficult to get a drink. I found all of the restaurants and bars to be the same way. We had to ask maids to clean the room well into the afternoon. If you plan on driving here, be aware that valet parking is an obscene $27/ day. Self park is a bit less but not much. I ordered a margherita in the cantina which was weak and servered in a beer mug - price, $14 each! It is a nice place, but poorly run and overpriced. I wouldn't stay there if I was on vacation and not forced to because of business. I will say that the few staff we had contact with we're friendly.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ValuesGoodValue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#4 of 207 in Dallas

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!