“Great Conference Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Great Conference Hotel”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I just returned from a six-night stay - I was at a large conference so this was the chosen venue. I enjoyed my stay at the Gaylord Texan. We had both good and bad customer service. If you want to use a cart for something, they will make you take along a bellman. That's fine if you have good and friendly service, but the young man who helped me needs a lesson in customer service. He spent the entire LONG walk complaining that he was tired, he didn't have enough money to pay his rent, etc etc. I did tip him but i didn't want to do it. On our last evening we were told that the Concierge could print off our boarding passes. I needed help with my shuttle reservation so I went to the desk for both. The young lady at the desk did not want to help me. She pointed to the lobby and said I could print off my boarding pass at the kiosk. She did help me when I told her I was informed that she could. Then I told her I couldn't find my paperwork for the shuttle I had prepaid for and reserved. She wanted to know my reservation number. If I had had that, I wouldn't have needed her help! On the other hand, we asked on another evening for suggestions for places to have dinner. They not only gave us an excellent suggestion but called ahead and made our reservation. This conference is tightly scheduled with classes and meetings. We had time for lunch between classes. We had a reservation so we had plenty of time to eat. Instead, our lunch did not arrive until it was time to leave, and then it took even longer to get our bill. This was at the Cantina. We told our server we were in a hurry but he did not hear us or hurry in any way. The front desk was very accommodating, sending up a bottle of wine and two glasses for one of our members' birthday. their service was quick and friendly. During my stay it was very quiet and I had no trouble sleeping.. The bed was very comfortable. True, there were no comfortable chairs in my room but i did not have time to sit very long anyway. This is a pricy hotel and I was surprised at how many children there were. The setting is beautiful, with winding streams and live plants that are well taken care of. We loved the Italian restaurant but it is extremely expensive. There are several shops but they are also very pricy. There are always shuttles available to take people wherever they want to go, and there is a large mall and a Target a short distance away. the walls are thin and I was disappointed by being able to hear a conversation clearly next door one evening. That was the only instance during my stay however. The hotel itself is enormous and if you are there for a conference you will do A LOT of walking. But the meeting rooms are clean and well-appointed for whatever size group you have. You will have your choice of a room looking outside (which I chose) or one with a balcony that overlooks the interior. The balcony rooms are a little more expensive. They are much quieter than I expected. Overall, this is a beautiful but expensive resort hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Check in was great, but everything takes a turn for the worse when you walk away fom that counter! This hotel LACKS CUSTOMER SERVICE! Our first room had some sort of lizard in it, which was totally not the hotels fault! However when we called the " consider it done" and told them of the problem, they said they would and someone up. We waited 30 minute during this time the lizard ran under the tv, we calles this button back and reported it again. They said they would connect us to the front desk since we asked for another room, but no one would answer. We waited another 15 minutes for them to call us back. They agreed to change our room and send someone up with a new key. We waited 25 minutes on that. They came to the room , handed us the new key and left neer told us how to get to the new room or even the room number or what part of this large hotel it was in. When we finally got to the new room the door was already open, so I had to enter it unsure of their was someone else in here. After getting the lights on and check the closet bathroom ect. I realized they had down graded us to a much much smaller room!!! It is now midnight after dealing with all of this! I am very offended that they didn't apologize for the delay, and then punished us like it was our fault for having to move rooms by down grading us! Very disappointed by this so called "great" hotel!!!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter because if you have a problem they will downgrade you!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Disappointedbythem
GaylordTexanFeedback, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. We apologize for the incident that occurred with the lizard in your room, and for the difficulties that followed in moving rooms. This is not the type of experience we want any of our guests to have with us.

We take reviews like this very seriously at the Gaylord Texan. Please contact us, and we will be happy to discuss your stay with you directly.

Thank you.
Keller, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stay away from the Riverwalk Cafe. Way over priced for less than average Mexican food. The rooms are generic....nothing special. You have to take a shuttle to get to the water park. Long lines and not equipped to handle the crowds. Over $60 in taxes and fees for one room. $12 per day to self park. We won't spend the money coming back. Wolf Creek Lodge is a better choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LSR1
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience in Riverwalk Cantina, and with our rooms in general.

We would like the opportunity to discuss your comments from your stay. Please contact us, and we will be happy to review your experiences with you directly.

Thank you.
dallas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have actually visited this resort on multiple occasions and have yet to be disappointed. The grounds are beautiful and well-maintained. The rooms are comfortable and you will definitely be able to get a good night's sleep. This is truly a place for any type of travel. There are conference facilities, family activities, (ICE, movies by the pool in the summer), romantic scenery, etc. It would be great for a girl's night out because they have an awesome spa, restaurants, and a club on site. I have even seen a wedding there. It is definitely a must-see for travelers or locals who just want a weekend escape.

Room Tip: I prefer to have a room that has an inside-facing balcony. If you are looking for peace and quiet, t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I enjoyed my stay and felt like the rooms were clean and tidy. The fireworks are nice to watch from the rooms in the summer and winter offers awesome ice sculptures at ICE. Food is a bit pricey but a short drive takes you into town where there are several good mexican and Italian restrants.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family had the best 4th of July this year at Gaylord Texan. The Dreamwork package made the time even more fun and worth the money. It will be a tradition to come and stay every 4th of July. The water park was amazing so I will be booking a night before Summer is over with to have another get away with the kids.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Aldewey
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel has it all from Restaurants, shopping, spa to a lazy river and dancing. Inside the hotel has a beautiful atmosphre including a fountain that is nice to sit by while you enjoy your latte. There's a sports bar that includes pool and shuffle board and big screen tv's. Best of all is a nice steakhouse that also neighbors a wine bar with a nice wine selection. The hotel will also shuttle you to downtown Grapevine (for a fee) where you will find various boutiques, wine bars and the best pizza you will ever try at Farina's. La Buena Vida winery is a must as well as Esparza's if you like Mexican food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Hilton Anatole
Downtown Fort Worth
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
#6 of 113 in Fort Worth

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!