“Grand resort... not so grand details.”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Houston, Texas
“Grand resort... not so grand details.”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The Gaylord Texan is grand... but I must say it isn't "grand" on attention to detail. Here is what I loved and what I didn't love:

What I loved: Overall, the atrium will take your breath away. It is really amazing. The different themed restaurants provide a nice variety from which to choose. You can use the spa amenities as a hotel guest-- loved working out and then sitting in the lavender-infused steamroom and sauna. Really nice! The Glass Cactus is a beautiful venue-- very cool.

What I didn't love: Once you get beyond the grandness of the resort, there are many items that are left to be desired. Our cleaning service was so-so. We had dirty glasses (which had garbage in them to indicate we were finished) and dishes in our room for 2 days. I finally had to put them outside the room to get them taken away. The Keuring coffee machine is a nice touch-- but once we used the tea canisters, they replaced them with coffee. A really guest-focused hotel would know that if I drink tea, replace it with tea, not coffee. The beds are really hard and really uncomfortable. Additionally, our shower dribbled out water.

Overall, it was a nice place. However, I do not feel the value was worth the price.

Room Tip: The atrium rooms are really cool. The walls are super-thin, so if you are a light sleeper, ask them...
3 Thank atlabbyj
GaylordTexanFeedback, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experiences during your stay with us. While we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our Restaurants and Spa, we are sorry to hear about your experiences with the cleaning of your room. This is not the type of experience that we intend to provide for our guests.

Please feel free to contact us, and we will be happy to discuss the details of your stay directly with you.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We got the "Remembering Romance" package. It's a nice surprise when you get to your room and there is champaign and chocolates waiting for you. You also get free access to The Glass Cactus for dancing. There is a fun shuttle that will take you to the club, which is in a different building. That is excellent so you won't have a room next to a disco in the main hotel.

Spring for some flowers. The concierge will put you in touch with a local florist, Lilium, who will deliver a beautiful spray to your room before you get there.

The package includes breakfast certificates. Tell the clerk when you check in that you would like that applied to your room for room service. Then you can order breakfast in bed. They are fast and will have the meal there on a nice rolling table in less than 30 minutes. You can roll the table out to your balcony. Be sure and remind the front desk that you did this when you check out so they will not double charge you for the breakfast.

They only deliver USA Today to the rooms on weekdays. But if you like your paper in the morning, then all you have do is call the concierge and tell them whatever paper you would like and a Bell boy will deliver it to your door right away.

Be sure to make reservations at one of the restaurants in the hotel when you make your reservations for your room. Reservation slots fill up quickly. And if you wait till the day you arrive you may not be able to get a seating.

The restaurants are a little pricey, but the food and wine is great. The Sommelier at the Zeppole Italian restaurant make an excellent recommendation.

We loved every moment we were there and will definitely be back. The staff made it effortless.

Room Tip: Definitely talk to the staff for your room positioning, based on your needs. They are very helpful...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Cascavel, PR
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights while attending a conference. The restaurant and entertainment options are excellent, and the staff in all restaurants are amazing & very helpful.

The hotel itself is an attraction, with many activities and attractions. The room where I stayed is quite spacious and the service within the standards of a hotel of this category.

I stayed on the 8th floor and the atrium view from the room is amazing. The resort fee of $15 includes the internet access.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed here for my Franchisor's convention. I was amazed at the hotel complex. It was beautiful, well kept and clean. The room was very clean and spacious. I had a great veiw of the atrium. The service provided by the staff was top nitch. I would recommend this hotel to anyone headed to Dallas. The location was incredibly close to the DFW airport, but no airplane noise!

Reviewed March 1, 2012

They lady at the front desk was extremely rude! The room was dirty, food was poor quality! I felt disrespected by the staff! I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Ronchaney
GaylordTexanFeedback, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We take reviews like this very seriously, and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to hear the details of your stay. Please feel free to contact us, and we will be happy to discuss your experiences.

Thank you.
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of days before Christmas. The place is nothing short of fabulous. Of course it was decorated for Christmas but that just added to the magic of the place. The large common areas have the lush feel of a Hawaiian resort while maintaining Lone Star State style. The concierge was very helpful with making dinner reservations. The steakhouse is the epitome of what finer dining should be and they were not fussy about my jeans!!! There was a struggle getting my room key to consistenly work but the front desk fixed my key each time. My room looked down onto the center with an excellent view of pretty much the entire area. If you stay during the winter seeing the ice show is a must. The past two years have been Peanuts and Shrek themed and it does not disappoint. Really a superb stay and I look forward to taking my family there if nothing else than to see the ice show.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Caledon, Canada
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights with my husband while on a business and personal trip to Dallas. The resort charges a $15 resort fee which includes: 2 bottles of water ( 2 days our housekeeper didnt leave them so we had to ask both times), the daily newspaper ( in the rooms it states that if you do not want the paper you get a .75 / day credit.) upon check out, the front desk staff said it was not avaialble anymore. SO why does management have it in the rooms. We had a convention rate of $151 / day, and $15 for a daily resort fee, then $17 / day for parking. SO $183 / day later is a little over priced for the quality of the room unless you have lots of spare cash. I asked the front desk staff why the extra $15 resort fee, why not just include it in the price the of the room. They said they keep asking teh same questions to management. So management, I say, get rid of the extra fees & adjust the rates accordingly and stop with all the hidden fees & make your rates the rates. the food at the Cantina is amazing both lunch & dinner, so that made up for the costly extras. The staff in all restaurants are amazing & very helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor & found this floor to be too high to really enjoy the atrium view. Tr...
1 Thank Patti K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Hilton Anatole
Downtown Fort Worth
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
#5 of 113 in Fort Worth

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!