“Awesome place to spend your anniversary”

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Lubbock, Texas
“Awesome place to spend your anniversary”
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Gaylord for our first anniversary over Memorial Day weekend. Luckily, they opened the new waterpark the day before we arrived! The hotel was incredible. Our room was huge, and very clean. We had a double vanity, which was great! Be prepared to walk a lot - neither of us brought good walking shoes, so make sure you do. Make sure you're prepared to spend about twice as much as the actual cost of the rooms. Nothing is included in the cost, so you'll pay extra for dining (which was somewhat expensive, depending on the restaurant), spa services, parking, a $15/day resort fee, gratuities for bellhops and bus drivers, etc.
As for the restaurants, Texan Station, the sports bar, had pretty good food, only slightly overpriced. We did have very very slow service at this restaurant. The Riverwalk Cantina, the Mexican restaurant, was delicious and priced about what you'd find at any other restaurant. The Steakhouse was extremely overpriced. They had good food and service, but not worth the money. The Java place that's open 24 hours is great. Again, slightly overpriced, but they had good smoothies, sundaes, and breakfast food.
One surprising thing is that this enormous resort only had one small single hot tub! There is no hot tub at the waterpark, which was disappointing, and no hot tub at the indoor pool.
We would liked to have seen more activities. The days we stayed the Glass Cactus nightclub was not open, so we did not have any nightly entertainment. We were glad they opened the waterpark, otherwise we would have been bored after one day.
Service was great, people were very friendly, and overall we had an awesome vacation! We recommend it, and will likely go back, but be prepared for those extra costs.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner/oversized room! They're huge
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ally P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Take your friends and familes here. Hey pay one forward for my birthday, June 14th. This place was absolutely amazing and fun.

Frisco, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I don't understand all the bad reviews. I hear tons of people complaining about this place, but we had a great time and we got to experiecne the new small waterpark they just opened.
Customer service was great and all the staff was very friendly. We got upgraded to a deluxe suite and it was huge and had a great view from the balcony.
The small waterpark is great with a lazy river and a slide, but when it gets crowded as it did on Sunday it really is not worth fighting the crowd in the heat.
Go early and enjoy time with your family.
The only downside is this place is expensive. 15 resort fee daily, 20 to park daily, 75 for 2 people to eat. If you are from out of town take the shuttle to Grapevine Mills mall and eat chick fil a or some of the other restaurants. I have a 2 year old and we spent with food and everything 550 for one night.
So to keep everyone from being surprised please take this into consideration and I am sure you will find the staff and rooms very accomodating.

Room Tip: It costs 80 dollars to upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Spent two nights of a three-day weekend with my wife here. I have to say that during the vast majority of our stay the staff and management here were very customer-service oriented and made our stay an extremely pleasant and relaxing one. However, we sometimes have to focus on the exceptions. Now, I would have given a 5 star review of the staff, except for one noteworthy incideny. I did have one poor experience with a female (bleach-blonde) bartender at Silver Bar on a Sunday afternoon. Patiently waiting my turn at the bar to order my drink, she and her coworker made eye-contact with me several times, but did not say anything like "How can I help you?" once. After two minutes, another guest walked up to the bar and the female bartender instantly engaged him with an offer of a drink. At this I threw-up my hands and began to walk away. Instead of ignoring this lapse of customer service, the female bartender shouted at me, in front of all, "You should have told me what you wanted!". Wow. Very confrontational and unprofessional. Afterward, I did speak with two members of management who seemed to understand the problem and were very kind to me. This exception passed, again, the staff aside from the bartender were extremely professional and worthy of my continued business. Aside from coming back to the Silver Bar, I will be a Gaylord Texan customer again.

Room Tip: Look for the specials, sign-up for the emails.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed May 23, 2011

A huge hotel with an atrium lobby. Drawbacks include very slow service-takes an hour and a half to get your bags from your car to your room, and very thin room walls for such a highly priced hotel.

Room Tip: Take the interior not exterior rooms
2 Thank MikeBirmingham_AL
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you ever wondered what it would be like to live in a space station -- this is the hotel to visit. I spent a week there for a business convention and never stepped outside. On the flip side, I was able to walk the Texas- style, desert meets adobe type landscaping even in stormy weather. The hotel has a "get 'er done" line for unusual requests and they were amazingly prompt and courteous with mine. The food at the restaurants was quite good - but a bit expensive and there is no food store to buy less expensive snacks or drinks inside the hotel - so bring your own (I did and I was so glad). It is a great hotel for convention , but definitely a "no" for a romantic stay.

Allen, Texas
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I don't know where to begin. I have to preface this by saying our stay was covered so we did not pay a thing. Thank goodness for that as the total estimate for a two night stay was well over $700.

For starters, our room was supposed to be one of these luxurious two room suites. There was king bedroom and the "living room". I told the staff that particular room would not work for our family as it was my husband and I with our three kids--11, 12 and 14. They did not have another room so we had to literally "STUFF" the living space with two rollaway beds next to the pull out couch--all of which were uncomfortable for the kids. We could barely walk around! Our king bed was a hard as a rock and absolutely killed my back.

Our complimentary breakfast buffet for 5 of us would normally cost $80! The food was cold and the "waiter" (water pourer) was extremely rude.

The people staying in the hotel obviously had money and were very unfriendly. There was only a lap pool and while my kids were playing, people sitting in there (not even swimming) glared at us the whole time. My daughter walked to the pool in her swimsuit only to be gawked at.

Our experience at the Holiday Inn Express we stayed in prior to this (in Arkansas of all places) was by far more enjoyable!

Room Tip: No King Suite!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank kimad91906
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Hilton Anatole
Downtown Fort Worth
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
#5 of 113 in Fort Worth

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!