“Like being in a terrarium, but a good business stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center

Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
Atlanta,GA
“Like being in a terrarium, but a good business stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you ever wondered what it would be like to live in a space station -- this is the hotel to visit. I spent a week there for a business convention and never stepped outside. On the flip side, I was able to walk the Texas- style, desert meets adobe type landscaping even in stormy weather. The hotel has a "get 'er done" line for unusual requests and they were amazingly prompt and courteous with mine. The food at the restaurants was quite good - but a bit expensive and there is no food store to buy less expensive snacks or drinks inside the hotel - so bring your own (I did and I was so glad). It is a great hotel for convention , but definitely a "no" for a romantic stay.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Polish first
Allen, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I don't know where to begin. I have to preface this by saying our stay was covered so we did not pay a thing. Thank goodness for that as the total estimate for a two night stay was well over $700.

For starters, our room was supposed to be one of these luxurious two room suites. There was king bedroom and the "living room". I told the staff that particular room would not work for our family as it was my husband and I with our three kids--11, 12 and 14. They did not have another room so we had to literally "STUFF" the living space with two rollaway beds next to the pull out couch--all of which were uncomfortable for the kids. We could barely walk around! Our king bed was a hard as a rock and absolutely killed my back.

Our complimentary breakfast buffet for 5 of us would normally cost $80! The food was cold and the "waiter" (water pourer) was extremely rude.

The people staying in the hotel obviously had money and were very unfriendly. There was only a lap pool and while my kids were playing, people sitting in there (not even swimming) glared at us the whole time. My daughter walked to the pool in her swimsuit only to be gawked at.

Our experience at the Holiday Inn Express we stayed in prior to this (in Arkansas of all places) was by far more enjoyable!

Room Tip: No King Suite!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank kimad91906
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

What a great place to stay. Beautiful decor. Exceptional accomodations. Excellent food. Caring and friendly staff. What more could one want !!

Lincoln, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I felt very trapped in this gigantic soulless hotel. It's half an hour away from everything, and there's not much to do on site except eat. The restaurants are nice, but try getting a salad or piece of fruit to go. The jogging trails were closed for some reason during my visit. The fitness center was adequate, but small for the number of people using it. The shops are not very interesting, and there are only a few.

I encountered a problem here that I've never encountered before, and that was trouble with getting my room cleaned. Housekeeping was tapping on my door (even though I had the do not disturb sign up) at 7:30 am, and when I sent them away, I discovered that they would never come back - I'd be gone all day and come back to wet towels and an unmade bed. I wouldn't consider this "resort" level service at all.

There's free internet in the rooms which worked well, but none in the convention space.

It took my friend from Dallas 30 minutes and my friend from Fort Worth 1 hour to get to the hotel, but I'm glad they came and helped me escape a couple of times - I was extremely bored at this hotel.

• 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank cyasukot
, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service and experiences for our guests, and this not the type of experience that our guests have come to expect at the Gaylord Texan. This is something that we take very seriously. Please feel free to contact our hotel directly at VoiceOfTheCustomer@Gaylordhotels.com, and we will be happy to address your individual issues with you directly.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

As with many other Gaylords, the Gaylord Texan is another great resort hotel near DFW airport. The resort includes more than 10 restaurants and several bars including a very large impressive sports bar with large displays. I especially enjoyed the Old Hickory Steakhouse, although it was expensive. My room had a balcony overlooking the inside courtyard. Refrigerators, separate shower and sink rooms are also included. The walk around the premisis is quite nice although you need not leave the hotel. There is much to enjoy here for several days.

2 Thank Tony J
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

i guess all about Texas is overly done! too big too far the walks in the hotel area are for sport mode traveler .
they have ok service and not so great food.
however they had such a neat out door lobby area
you must visit with a guitar shape garden decor lovely~

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
, Manager at Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service, facilities and dining experiences for our guests at the Gaylord Texan. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally. Please feel free to contact our hotel directly at VoiceOfTheCustomer@Gaylordhotels.com, and we will be happy to address your individual issues with you directly.

Thank you.

Gaylord Hotels.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Hotel beautiful . Food is somewhat expensive. Nice for a convention. Excellent spa.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank harleyTMH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grapevine
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 200 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 stars 5,276 reviews

Been to Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!