“Not the worst option”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Cantina is one of the dining options at the Gaylord Texan and it is a reasonably good choice. The mexican style food is OK and it is probably the most reasonably priced of the hotel options.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Decent food in a relaxed setting. Not great, not terrible, decent service. Queso was tasty. Recommend the enchilladas.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed in the Gaylord Texan.

Breakfast was good and reasonable priced. Coming after 8.30 on sundays/holidays means standing in line, so get up early ;-))

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Delightful view and acceptable menu. Great place to close the sale. Wait staff was courteous, friendly, and very attentive.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

During the course of a week-long stay at the Gaylord Texan, I ate at the Riverside Cantina on three separate occasions. One of the problems with staying at the Gaylord is the lack of dining options on site. There are only four restaurants including the Riverside Cantina, the other three being Texas Station (sports bar), Zeppole Coastal Italian, and the Old Hickory steak house.

My first visit was for dinner. I was by myself this evening and looking for a quick meal. I was seated right away, no wait at all. There is a lot of space in the “outside” dining area (the Cantina is inside the Gaylord Texan, in the huge atrium, so it has sort of the feel of outdoor seating). The service was a little slow in my opinion. The menu had a nice variety of Tex-Mex meals; not the usual multi-page menu that is often found a typical Mexican place, but still a nice mix of dishes. This night I tried the steak fajitas. The steak was very good and tender, but there was no cheese in the side fixings and most of the grilled vegetables were onions (not a lot of peppers). Based on this visit, I probably would not have returned, except that there were limited choices at the Gaylord and I already had a breakfast meeting schedule for the Cantina in the morning.

The next day I met five colleagues for breakfast at the Cantina so that we could squeeze in an extra meeting. I arrived just a few minutes before 7:30; again no issues with seating. The service was a little better this morning but still not stellar. The breakfast fare was had some Tex-Mex flair, but there were also several more standard dishes as well. I opted for the pecan-cinnamon French toast. Now that was a great choice! Very tasty and quite filling.

My final visit was at the end of the week for a casual dinner with colleagues. There were five of us this time and we met at 7:00. Again no issues with being seated. The service was a little better this evening. I went with the steak burrito which was a great choice. It is a big meal with big flavor. I asked to have the meal to be made as spicy as possible, and while it had a bit of heat, it was not over the top.

Overall, it was an OK place to eat. I’ve eaten at much better Tex-Mex places, but I have also eaten at places that were much, much worse. The service was fair, the food was a little better than average but I think it was a bit overpriced due to being at the Gaylord.