“Excellent food and margaritas; beautiful setting”

Mi Dia From Scratch
Reserve with OpenTable
Mi Dia From Scratch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 251 Restaurants in Grapevine
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Capitol Street
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I take visitors AND locals here whenever we're looking for a great meal but we don't want to travel to downtown Dallas. Very close to DFW Airport. The outdoor patio setting is great, with torches and an outside bar. Tableside guacamole presentations are fun if you have enough people to enjoy the large serving. They serve a mix of Tex-Mex, Santa Fe and Mexican-style dishes.

1  Thank Rolodexia
Caitlin C, Social Media Manager at Mi Dia From Scratch, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Mi Dia! We're glad your consider us whenever you're looking a great meal in Grapevine!

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I went there on a Friday at about 4. at that time it had a few people in it.

we sat at the bar for about 1 1/2 hours. We had the happy hour margarita on the rocks, very good. we also had a lemon drop, and it was very good, still trying to match one I had in DC. the chips were great. The red and green salsa was fantastic. Just beware the red is between medium and hot. you can ask for the green stuff by itself. all fresh the queso was great, it did not taste like velvetta.

we went to an inside table about 5:30, and the Friday crowd started filtering in. the inside to me is compact, there is a booth area up front and tables in the rear. by the time we left around 7 it was packed inside.

we had the table side guac, and it was fantastic. If two people just beware there are three good size avocados used. so is almost a meal in itself. I wish they had black pepper fresh ground or in a bowl to add. the table pepper shakers do not put out a lot, plus I like the fresh ground stuff,

we had the combo make your own. had enchiladas, bean chalupa and a flauta.
all was fresh, cheese was great. I have had better flautas,
I was unable to order a fajita taco as part of the combo. I am not into hamburger tacos, and you can get them at taco bell.

overall service was fantastic, never had a problem, and plenty of help on Friday nights.

may come back and give the food another try, I normally judge a place on the beef fajitas.

will be back in the fall for some happy hour on the cool patio!!!!!

also want to try the three other restaurants in the location

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We loved this place, got out of the Gaylord Hotel and went into the town itself. This place was a treat and very popular. They had a wait list ... but it was fun to sit at the bar and wait. I had duck tacos that were so good. The flavor had this fantastic BBQ flavor that was exceptional. My friends also had wonderful food as well. The price was a very good value.

Caitlin C, Social Media Manager at Mi Dia From Scratch, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Mi Dia! We hope you'll stop by again the next time you're in Grapevine!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I am not even a huge Mexican food fan, my wife is, but this restaurant was outstanding. I had the duck tacos, as recommended by the waiter, and they were fabulous. all the tableside guacamole with bacon was very good. I've been to most of the Mexcian places between Grapevine and Southlake, and this I would put at the top of the list.

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Mi Dia! The duck tacos are a personal favorite of ours as well! Thank you for taking the time to review.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had heard great things about Mi Dia From Scratch from a business associate that moved to Grapevine, Texas from Ohio, so I had to see if it was as great as he said. My girlfriend and I stopped in on a Sunday afternoon. The restaurant is cutting edge beautiful and the hostess had a smile on her face as big as Texas. We were seated on the Patio which is a beautiful oasis that will transport your senses to a place in upscale Mexico. It took forever however to get a waiter to stop by our table, and forever to get our drinks. We sat tasting chips and an amazing salsa for about twenty minutes. Eventually we placed our drink order and enjoyed two very unique and amazingly tasty margaritas. Things had to get better right? It didn't. Quite some time later, when our margaritas had been empty for some time our waiter returned to take our lunch order. My girlfriend opted for the chicken fajitas and I ordered the cuitaloche relleno. It had been years since I had seen a cuitaloche relleno on a menu, and I hoped it would bring back fond memories of the one I had in Mexico City. Once again it took forever to get served. If you are looking for prompt service this is not the place to go. When our meals finally arrived, the plated entrees looked amazing. True culinary artistry. My girlfriends chicken fajitas were plump and juicy but void of taste. My cuitaloche relleno was horrid. It tasted like canned corn and cheese whiz inside a pobalno pepper. No spices, no distinct cuitaloche corn taste, just canned cheese, canned corn inside a relleno. I asked the waiter if he had ever tried the cuitaloche and he said no. I explained to him that both of our entrees were void of taste and a few minutes later the manager stopped by our table. The manager said he had tried the cuitaloche relleno and didn't like it because it tasted like dirt. Really? Is this the type of response you expect from a restaurant manager. The place was overflowing with people. Maybe they were drinking and not eating. After all, the margaritas were fantastic. The food, not so much. The moral to the story.....don't trust someone from up North who doesn't eat good mexican food to give you a referral to a great mexican restaurant in Texas. We won't be back......

3  Thank TXGarfield