“Great Stay, Friendly Staff, Close to DFW and Grapevine Mills”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Grapevine
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My six year son and I stayed here for one night on Sept 5. I got a great deal on priceline for the night. The night before our arrival I called the hotel and explained I needed an early check in because my son was having a medical procedure done and I needed to bathe him before his procedure. The desk clerk I spoke with was very nice and professional and said he would note the reservation. We arrived the next day at 1320 and our room was ready, Check in took less than five min and we were greeted at the door by the parking attendant and then greeted by the desk clerk. She was very pleasant and never treated me any different as a Priceline customer. Since it was our first time staying there, she explained the features of the hotel and we were on our way.

Our room was 710 and the room was very clean and had no particular odor The room was huge with plenty of space to spread out. Our room had 2 beds. Each room has a TV which my son loved. I didn't love the soft mattresses but that's a personal preference. The pillows were too thick and I woke up with neck pain and back pain. Everything was in working condition. No stains on the carpet or sofa, bathroom was immaculate as was the bedroom. My only complaint was the a/c. It never seem to cool off and I had it all the way down to 62. The living room area was cool but the bedroom was not. If you were sitting on the bed closest to the window, then you feel the air somewhat but not really. It was 105 in Grapevine on Wed. The air really needed to be working better. Fridge worked great and kept everything cold. Didn't use the microwave or coffee maker at all. No free wifi as others have mentioned but for one night it wasn't a deal breaker for me since I knew before hand I wasn't going to be in the room that much. There is a indoor pool but we couldn't use it this time since my son had his procedure done, but it looked nice and clean.

The breakfast was good; made to order omlettes, waffles, bacon and sausage. Good selection of fresh fruit, cereals, pasteries, eggs and potatoes. My complaint about the eggs and potatoes was that it was cold. Not even lukewarm. COLD. And a major health hazzard, especially eggs. I told a gentleman that was working in the area about the thee eggs. He went and checked but never removed the eggs. Maybe because it almost the end of breakfast?? I don't know.

About 5 min to Grapevine Mills and there is shuttle if you don't have a car. Lots of places to eat within 5-10 min drive. The construction at the north end of the airport is a major challenge right now so allow extra time to/from the airport.

Overall, a great stay with a professional staff. I would stay again for sure. Just fix the a/c issues and ensure hot food is hot and stays hot. Could use some updating but that won't stop me from staying again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We, my husband, my adult son and I spent the night at this Embassy. I truly like all the Embassy Suites that I have stayed at, but this one, and some of the others are due for some updates. The lobby was beautiful with waterfalls and Bass Pro kinds of decor. We arrived late, but got checked in quickly. The room was on the 12th, top, floor and was a bit different configuration than the "usual". The bedroom had a cathedral ceiling. The bathroom had a small tv on a bracket and both the living room and the bedroom had flatscreen tvs. There was the usual microwave and mini fridge. The room had an odor of mold and mildew. The room was clean. The beds were a bit softer than I prefer. I think new mattresses are in order. The lamp by the bed was in disrepair, but still worked. The lighted make up mirror in the bathroom was also broken off the support, but did still work as a lighted mirror. The breakfast was wonderful and a full choice of food, including a cook to order eggs and bacon and sausage. The workout area was large and had plenty of choices in machines. The pool was large and was a salt water pool, which I really enjoyed. The whirlpool hot tub in the pool area was hot and clean and we really enjoyed it. All in all it is a great place to stay and really close to DFW, which was why we chose it. With a few repairs and eliminating of the odors, it would again be a great hotel. The one large complaint that we had was there was no free wifi anywhere in the hotel. We did use the computers in the business center, but we needed to use our laptop, but that was a 10 dollar charge. The receptionist said that she would wave the fee, since we were just going to send an email with an attachment off my husband's computer, and we were checking out 10 minutes later, but although she activated it, when we got the bill, the charge was still there. So, that wasn't a very good plus. Most hotels that charge for wifi, usually have somewhere in the hotel where it is available free. Not so with this hotel.

Room Tip: The view from the 12th floor is fabulous.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I'm a Hilton Honors member so i tend to be pretty loyal to properties we've stayed at in the past. We've been coming to Embassy Suites Outdoor World since.....2006? It was still a freshly new hotel and although the prices may be steep at times its a hotel my father fell in love with. One of the best Embassy Suites we've stayed at, and we've stayed at many from San Diego, to Colorado Springs and to New Orleans French Quarter.
But with time, things begin to show their age and this is where quality and control come into play. This was the first time we experience problems at this hotel and it pains me to point them out but just maybe if management reads these as others do then maybe they'll get their act together.

There has never been a problem with the staff. Friendly and top notch attitude as always. But the up keep due to the Hotels age came into the question. When we arrived we had just came in from Mobile, AL.......so we were pretty tired. Bellhop boy took our luggage up to the second floor, struck conversation with us, made us feel right at home, offered to get us ice and welcomed us in a good way. When we started to plan where to eat my 12 year old sister looked up and found a lizard, pink one LOL, on the ceiling. We could of smashed it but we didn't want to make a lot of noise since the hotel was full of paper that day and it was already 10pm at night. So we call the front desk and they sent someone promptly. the gentleman they set tried to remove the lizard but some how it got away and slipped under the bed. No big deal to me or my father but when you're traveling with 3 women, it is a big deal. So they switched our rooms.

Again no fault of the staff, Another problem arose when my father ordered a movie in the bedroom and i ordered a different one in the living room. Keep in mind i called the front desk if it was possible to watch 2 different movies at the same time and they said absolutely. And these movies are NOT cheap. Each movie was $20 dollars a pop! With taxes it was a bit over 40 bucks for 2 movies. Well when my movie began, if you must know i wanted to watch the Avengers, the service main frame froze up as it began to start the movie. So i called the front desk and the gentleman walked me through on how to try and cancel and reboot the system. We tried for 30 minutes and no dice. I've worked as a hotel sales rep and i know how guest can lose their patience and as a guest i try to remember its not the staffs fault because some do care and go out of the way. This gentleman was no exception, he was patient and helpful even though we couldn't resolve it. What did happen was that by the time it unfroze, in real time the movie was playing even though i saw a frozen picture. So the film went on 30 minutes through, and because its an action movie, off the bat you're missing good stuff, thats the comic geek in me talking. I tried againt the second night we were there after we got in from sight seeing around Dallas and again same problem. I ended up watching where ever the movie left off which was 45 mins into the film. I wasn't changed for it though so i can't complain really.

Now about quality and control, this is a first for this hotel. Everytime we go out and return later, housekeeping usually cleans up, makes the beds, takes out the used towels and leaves fresh ones. NONE of this was done except that they left fresh towels. That was all that was done, and I know the property loves to showcase their awards down in the lobby by the gift shop and I do know this is a 4/5 star rated hotel even as the Bellhop gloated about it. Our beds were not done, and the used towels were still there. We stayed at a cost of $189 dollars a night, which is towards the highend and this was on a week day not a weekend. We usually stay here because of the Bass Pro Shop that is next door and the steak/brewery restaurant which is also next door. Love them both, otherwise this would be a regular Embassy Suites hotel out of the 6 or 8 Embassy Suites that are located in Dallas alone. And we always make it a tradition to visit Dallas not only becaues my sister is attending TWU but because of the Texas State Fair in September and October.

They built a beautiful and great hotel, but the up keep makes you think that the glory days are over and decline of it is showing if this is how they tend to the upkeep and maintain quality and control.

Room Tip: great customer service, if you have any special needs, talk directly to the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

SNE544

I want to thank you for taking the time to recount your experience while a guest in our hotel. I am glad to know that you are generally pleased with our service and product and I apologize for the shortcomings with regards to cleanliness. We take great pride in knowing that the vast majority of our guests leave us completely satisfied and I regret that we did not deliver on our promise to you. Please know that we take this kind of feedback well and we will use it to improve in the future. Knowing that we have work to do, our hard working and award winning associates will rise to the challenge and ensure that each and every guest experience is better than the last. In addition, I think you will find that over the next several months we will begin a renewal process in the hotel. Please look for those changes on your next stay with us. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Todd Raburn

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My initial reaction to the hotel as we drove up was very positive. The exterior landscaping and interior lobby and reception area are very well-kept and bright. A bonus for some may be the Bass Pro store attached directly to the hotel.

When I walked into the room I was shocked by its sheer size. Since I was travelling alone, it seemed enormous. The front area consisted of a television, couch, chair, dining/office table and kitchenette. The bedroom had a television, desk, and two side tables next to the king size bed.
The bed was a tad soft for me (but I prefer the firmest mattress made by man), and included five nice pillows. The couch was comfortable, but looked a little worn. The carpet and bathroom was impeccably clean.

My first night there I ordered room service from the Sportsman’s Club. My order included cheese soup, and the turkey club with fries. All was excellent, and I found myself wishing I had not made plans for dinner the next night just so I could order it again. The waiter was very friendly, and the tray was in my room approximately 20 minutes after I ordered. You can barely get that kind of service in a restaurant. However, this was after I had checked out the Manager’s reception in the lobby. While there was plenty of alcohol and soda to be had, the snacks were pathetic. Sad looking melon and pineapple (which looked like they came from the morning breakfast), and ice buckets full of something like Chex party mix and Goldfish constituted the evening snack.

On the other hand, the breakfast was excellent. It included oatmeal, cereals, donuts, toast, breakfast potatoes, biscuits, gravy, eggs, bananas, and (unfortunately for the Manager’s reception) melon and pineapple. I believe I also saw chefs making omelets to order.
On the positive side, I found the shuttle drivers friendly enough. Some reviews stated that they took their time picking up from the airport, so I was not surprised by my 10-15 minute wait; however, they were picking up and dropping off several people even after my pick up so it made complete sense. The hotel also provides a shuttle to the Grapevine Mills mall.

A few things soured the stay. When I got to my room, I remembered I had wanted a late check-out, so I called and was told this was not a problem – having an honors card, I was not surprised. On the day of check-out, I was eating breakfast with a friend who had tried to get a late check-out and was told “no, there are too many of you.” When I returned to my room, I called and found that my late check-out had been cancelled. I’m sorry, but a hotel that has at least 360 rooms, and cannot accommodate approximately 50 people plus vendors with an extra hour has a problem – especially considering it was 6 p.m. when they came to clean my room the day before. That was the second disappointment of my stay.

Last, when I was checking out the person at the desk told me I would not be receiving points for my stay because the rate of the room was too low. I am in the process of checking this out with the honors card. Since 90% of my hotel stays have been associated with conferences, which tend to have lower rates, this makes no sense. I will update when I have news on this front.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MarvinMeister

Marvin Meister

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Although much of your commentary was positive, I regret that you were not completely satisfied. We are pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations in our spacious two room suites and that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and a great meal from Sportsman’s. I will certainly work with our Chef to ensure the quality of our evening reception food is perfect each and every night. As far as your points for your stay are concerned, all I can say is that you were misinformed by our associate. I am sure that you have found this to be true if you investigated this as you mention in your review. However, if you would be gracious to enough to allow us to solve that for you we would be happy to do so. Simply contact me at the hotel and I will personally see to it that you receive the Hilton Honors points that are due to you.

I hope that you will allow us to regain your trust by staying with us again.

Todd Raburn

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a standard Embassy Suites, large suites, good location, average breakfast, and unhappy staff.
I even saw a shuttle driver screaming rudely at clients because he was not going to the airport, he was going to the mall, I stood there and wasn't sure if it was a joke or true.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Sue L, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry we let the ball drop. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Very unhappy employees.. and not willing to serve.
Food was ok for breakfast but during afternoon meals was horrible.
Asked for pillows due to my daughter allergies(they were made with feathers) so we call front desk and the only thing we got were excusses, the next morning, we were informed that they had plenty of no feather pillows !!!!
Front desk employees need more training.

THIS IS NOT A FAMILY HOTEL, JUST FOR BUSINESS. I WILL NOT GO BACK TO THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here before and after a vacation and used their park and fly. It is a very well decorated hotel attached to Bass Pro and located close to Grapevine Mills Mall. The park and fly went real smooth. Walls in this hotel are really thin, we could hear everyone talking in the room next to us. We also thought the breakfast buffet could be arranged a little better. You have to stand in the same line as the omelette station to get bacon and sausage. We didn't notice until we got to our table and who wanted to go stand back in line to get meat? All in all we enjoyed our stay, these are just some things that could be improved.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sue L, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas DFW Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites Outdoor World for your travelling needs. We really appreciate your suggestions and will share these with the team to make us better. We look forward seeing you again in the near future.