“Overpriced and mediocre...not a winning combination”
Review of Farinas

Farinas
Ranked #16 of 245 Restaurants in Grapevine
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I went there with a large group of friends so we took over the patio area. Nice enough out there, but I'm glad it wasn't hot outside yet because the tiny fans they have don't seem like they would do much good in the usual Texas heat. Also, very strangely and poorly designed, they led us to the patio through what looked like part of the restaurant's kitchen. Not a great way to start out, in my opinion. After some glasses of wine (not Texas wines as they're not that great) we finally settled into dinner. I ordered the Baked White Fish and my husband ordered the lasagna. He got the soup that came with the meal, and I the salad. The soup (potato sausage something or another) was served in a tiny cup and according to him was lackluster. My salad was a standard dinner salad and totally forgettable. His lunch-sized lasagna was completely overpriced ($16!!) and too salty for both of us. Again, lackluster. The flavor just wasn't there, unless you consider salty an achievable flavor. My fish (also overpriced at $18) was served with sides of overcooked, yet tough asparagus and penne pasta with pesto (say that 5 times fast) and a heaping helping of...you guessed it: Salt. I had to send it back. I got a new one that was now a dried up piece of semi-salty fish and pasta with too much pesto, plus the tough, yet soggy asparagus. I'm no expert on how to make pesto but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have that much parmesan. I didn't have the energy to send it back again so I picked at some of it and munched on some garlic bread. I ordered the Chocolate Kahlua Cake for dessert because that's the one they make in-house and I wanted to give it a try (hello....chocolate and Kahlua!). It was ok, but nothing that made me hear angels sing or glory at the idea of it costing only $5. Plus the glop of aerosol whipped cream heaped on the side of it didn't inspire me, or any angels.

We actually had a restaurant.com coupon for $25 and this meal still took us for $70. Ok, so half of that was wine....

So we had overpriced, mediocre food, with pretty good service considering the size of our group. Overall I recommend you don't waste your money here.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stopped in for lunch because we had seen some yummy dishes being eaten outside at their Bistro tables. Menu is great, the Choose 3 for $, gives you a perfect blend of protein, veggies and a side. The wine list is pretty extensive for such a small place, and the staff is GREAT! The shops on either side are a fun distraction before or after lunch. We had a group of 7 and they accomodated us easily without feeling like we had to drag tables & chairs around!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I met my brother and sister-in-law here for dinner when I was in Dallas on business recently. They had eaten here several times and said it would be a great place to enjoy the nice afternoon on their back patio. This was true. As we entered, a group of 5 guitar players were churning out some nice acoustic music in what looked like a neigborhood jam session ... nice. We proceeded to the back patio, which was small, but the day was too nice to stay inside. As mentioned earlier, the bar has wine only, which I was okay with this day, but wouldn't always want a wine only option. The menu is somewhat limited. Usually, there are too many options at an Italian restaurant, but, not so here. I had the baked white fish. The fish was good, but nothing special. My brother had the Chicken Marsala, which was better than the white fish, but average for marsala. My sis-n-law had the filet, which was pretty good. The sides where just okay.
Bottom line is this is a nice cozy little place to dine in or outside, but the food is nothing extraordinary ... not bad, just nothing special.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our three tries at Farinas were progressively disappointing...noisy, mediocre food, and over priced.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good little place in the middle of old downtown Grapevine. Happy Hour serves up $5 glasses of wine and 1/2 price pizzas. Great thin crust pizzas - try the spaghetti pizza with meatballs. Fun to dine/drink on the sidewalk and people watch or try the patio out back. Staff is very attentive. WARNING: wine only - no beer or liquor.