“Ripoff!”

Grapevine Vintage Railroad
Ranked #14 of 65 things to do in Grapevine
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grapevine Vintage Railroad travels along the historic Cotton Belt Route between Grapevine and the Fort Worth Stockyards. The Railroad is serviced by two vintage locomotives which include "Puffy" the 1896 Steam locomotive and oldest continously operating steam engine in the South, and a 1953 GP-7 diesel locomotive. Passengers enjoy riding in authentic 1920s and 1930s Victorian - style coaches as they take a step back in time and experience train travel as it was in the glory days of the expanding West. Pull into the Fort Worth Stockyards Station and you'll be right in the middle of the Stockyards National Historic District where the Old West comes alive. Have fun at this outstanding retail and entertainment district.
Reviewed May 24, 2014

If you want to look at the rear of industrial buildings, the rear of apartment buildings, piles of concrete, dirty water in drainage ditches and dirty underpasses take this trip. Such a total ripoff. They should be ashamed of themselves to call this a scenic trip.

5  Thank newnormal2005
GrapevineCVBRep, Public Relations Manager at Grapevine Vintage Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your experience on the Grapevine Vintage Railroad (GVRR) was not as expected. Because the majority of the scenery and landscapes seen on the excursions are not in Grapevine city limits, their maintenance is out of our control. The GVRR is not considered a scenic excursion; therefore, it is not marketed as such.
We do hope that you will visit us again and perhaps ride one of the Family Fun Trains or one of the special event trains we offer throughout the year. These excursions take a different route from the Stockyard excursions. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other questions.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Evening business group ride, serving box dinners and wine tastings. Ugly terrain. Loud jazz musicians. Terribly non-conducive to talking and entertaining clients and prospects.
Some sort of historic sharing would have been nice.

GrapevineCVBRep, Public Relations Manager at Grapevine Vintage Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your experience on the Grapevine Vintage Railroad (GVRR) was not as expected. Much of the scenery and landscapes seen on the excursions are not in Grapevine city limits; however, we are continuing to develop communication with surrounding communities to get these cleaned up. The Jazz Wine Trains are a jazz and wine event; therefore, the experience focuses on these elements. If made aware, the train or festival staff is happy to ask the musicians to lower the volume of their playing. Again, thank you for your feedback. We will make note of these comments and will work to enhance the experience for future events.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We started out boarding the train at 12:30 03/23/14 and arrived back at the depot at 7:30pm. Too many long delays! on the way to the Stockyards 1 1/2 hour one stop, 2nd stop 1hour, Listen,for delays this lengthy there needs to be some form of entertainment tv, movie or how about some history on the city we have stopped in? We only had 40 mins in the stockyards, just time enough to eat and hurry back to the train to board. Ten mins later, we have stopped again, 50 mins!! Not even a complimentary snack or water? Please rethink your strategy. Find out about the schedule for traffic on the tracks and work your schedule around this! EXHAUSTED and wished I had driven to the stockyards...Quicker! You could also consider at least 50% off on your next trip to get us to come back....guess what? I'm not!

2  Thank Disapp0inted12345678
GrapevineCVBRep, Public Relations Manager at Grapevine Vintage Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize that your experience on the Grapevine Vintage Railroad (GVRR) was not as expected.
On Sunday, March 23, there were extensive delays across the North Texas rail system due to railway construction which the GVRR was not made aware of. Because the GVRR is an attraction train, we must give the right-away to cargo trains; therefore, delays can occur.The US Federal Railroad Association sets and regulates the scheudle for all rail systems, including the GVRR. We do abide by this scedule and do our best to work around it. Because of this schedule, we can not adjust the departure time from the Stockyards.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I write this review, seated (and stopped) on the return leg of the Sunday voyage to the stockyard. It took 2 hours & 45 minutes to make it there. Scheduled for 1 hour. The return trip has lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes so far, and we've traveled less than 10 miles from the stockyard. The scenery is, to be honest - depressing. I've had a view of some trash and run down housing for the last 45 minutes. The problem is the recreational trains must yield right-of-way to the freight trains. I certainly understand this, but we had no idea this kind of calamate was possible. The stockyards are touristy, and with the quick turn around (due to late arrival) we didn't see much of it. This trip is frankly miserable. I'm sure had it gone as scheduled it would have been fun, though a bit long for my 3 year old. The problem is it's a serious risk it could consume your entire day, and the staff mentioned "it's been getting worse" so I would think the risk not worth it at this point. A gentleman went to complain to the staff, and certainly he was fired up (6 hours on a train will do that to you) but the staff said basically "not our fault" - while technically true this is not the best response in that situation....tends to raise the tension more. Then they argued with him, which only made things worse as he was just frustrated (as was everyone). Thankfully he turned and walked away before things escalated, with the staff member (coach 209, maroon uniform, caucasian, brown hair) yelling after him as he walked away "I've been doing this for years, I know what I'm doing!" I hope the Thomas event goes better than this...they've put a lot of effort into advertising it. Personally I feel like our family lost most of a day of vacation, and I wouldn't recommend this excursion. It could have been fun, but if things don't work out you are a hostage (not like you can hop off the train) and the mood gets sour quick!

2  Thank RoamingHog
GrapevineCVBRep, Public Relations Manager at Grapevine Vintage Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

On Sunday, March 23, there were extensive delays across the North Texas rail system due to railway construction which the GVRR was not made aware of. Because the GVRR is an attraction train, we must give the right-away to freight trains; therefore, delays can occur. Much of the scenery and landscapes seen on the excursion are out of Grapevine city limits; however, we are working with surrounding communities to get these cleaned up.
Unfortunately, issues like this are not something we can control; however, we are working to implement procedures that would make riders more comfortable during these delays. We are very much looking forward to Day Out With Thomas! This excursion should not encounter delays. It, like our other special event trains, takes a shorter route than the Stockyards excursion; therefore, they do not encounter as much rail traffic. Thank you again for your feedback. We will address these issues promptly. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any other questions.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Absolutely DID NOT enjoy this. I read alot of good reviews before I made a reservation for me and my girlfriend for the trip on 3/15/14. The webpage said it takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes to get to Fort Worth from Grapevine, which it did. It did make few stops on its way but i could live with it. HOWEVER, on the way back from Fort Worth to Grapevine, we were stopped for ONE HOUR AND THIRTY MINUTES!! WITHOUT ANY KIND OF REASONABLE EXPLANATION OR APOLOGY! I mean if I were the one running the train, I would at least try to treat the customer the best way I can by offering some kind of snacks or drinks during those hours when the train was not even moving but guess what?? NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I'm definitely thinking about calling them and see what kind of compensation I can get out of this MADNESS since I had to sit around and do NOTHING for one hour and 30 minutes.

1  Thank Hojin G
GrapevineCVBRep, Public Relations Manager at Grapevine Vintage Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize that your experience on the Grapevine Vintage Railroad was not as expected. On Saturday, March 15, during the return of the GVRR into Grapevine, there was a communication failure between Union Pacific dispatch and all trains in the area; therefore, the GVRR, along with all other trains in the area had to stop. Union Pacific dispatch acts much like an air traffic controller does for planes. Without it, trains do not know what else could be on the tracks. Unfortunately, issues like this are not something we can control; however, we are working to implement procedures that would make riders more comfortable during these delays. We do hope that you will visit us again and perhaps ride one of the Saturday "Fun Trains" or one of the special event trains we have throughout the year. These excursions take a different route from the Stockyard excursions and tend to encounter less rail traffic. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other questions.