Grapevine Vintage Railroad
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Not so interesting

Very small parking lot. Finding a parking is very hard. Train ride was boring. They have popcorn... read more

Reviewed July 18, 2018
Bhawna P
Great Experience

Reviewed May 27, 2018
brianavann
Spring, Texas
via mobile

All reviews fort worth cattle drive steam locomotive stock yards train moves air conditioned car first class car train car hour ride hot chocolate is slow pace trees lining snacks and drinks fun trip the polar express shops and restaurants main street
Reviewed October 4, 2018

Travelled on the Grapevine to Fort Worth Stockyards on a wet Saturday. The journey was amazing and you really caught the atmosphere in the 2nd class open carriage. Friends travelling 1st class said they missed this in the closed carriage.

Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

So many things to warn others about! 1) they casually mention the train might be late and there are no refunds. That is not true. The employee on the train actually told me that its ALWAYS late and he keeps telling management that he is stuck dealing with upset customers but they don't care. There is one departure time to the Stockyards and one return time. The train moves like pond water and stops a lot due to the construction that's been ongoing for years apparently. 2) it's not scenic. You drive by neighborhoods and also tent cities with homeless. 3) there is no room. I am 5'9" and had to sit crooked because my legs wouldn't fit. This was such a miserable time. When we finally got to the Stockyards a flood came off the train and everyone got reservations to eat. By the time we got seated our 45 minutes until departure was over so we had to leave to get back on the train. What a waste of money! We even had the upgraded seats!

5  Thank Harley B
Reviewed July 18, 2018

Very small parking lot.
Finding a parking is very hard.
Train ride was boring.
They have popcorn and drink inside train.my kids enjoy that .

1  Thank Bhawna P
Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

The train ride was ok, but the loud blaring music and Toilet Paper Olympics ruined what could have been a peaceful ride. Yes, I said Toilet Paper Olympics.

1  Thank Joseph B
Reviewed June 3, 2018

We've ridden historic trains all across the US and overseas. I wish this was pulled by steam, but it wasn't... oh well. The views were actually very reasonable as the train traveled from Grapevine to Fort Worth, at times the trees lining the track were so dense you couldn't tell that the train was actually traveling mostly through surburbia. The air conditioned First Class car was worth the extra cost on a day with the "real feel" over 100 degrees. The sheriff and saloon lady hosts on the train made the trip extra special for the younger folks. Because the train does travel actual main line tracks, the schedule might get delayed as other trains get priority. We returned to Grapevine about 45 minutes later than scheduled. I wish it wasn't so hot in Fort Worth so we could have explored the stockyard area more. Close parking in Grapevine can be challenging.

2  Thank RickH26757
Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

Thomas the Train was hosted at Grapevine Railroad the weekend we visited. Parking was a bit difficult, so plan ahead and give yourself extra time to explore around since there are tons of shops and restaurants. The historical movies and background was neat enough to hold my toddlers attention. Riding the train of course was the best part!!

1  Thank brianavann
Reviewed May 8, 2018

I was REALLY wanting to love this experience, but.... We did the short trip and left the train yard looking at construction. Then we had a none to pleasant view of a mobile home park. The train moves SLOWLY (I guess so they can say it lasts for an hour?). There is a small segment of open field and a tree lined section, but that's all the scenery you get.
The train itself is exceptionally nice. Too bad the city hasn't set aside a more scenic area for it to travel through as this is supposed to be a big feature. I worry that it's popularity is suffering due to things that are out of the business's control.
Also, parking was a bit tricky... There were very few spots left when we arrived. Maybe there's more parking in another area??

4  Thank 401mirandab
Reviewed April 27, 2018 via mobile

I see a lot of people complaining about this railroad, and it saddens me as I am a big train fanatic. But there are positives to this railroad, and here's what they are.

The Day Out with Thomas is a great event to visit this railroad for, as well as other special events. If you want an exciting day, events like this are the best time to go. The Thomas event has multiple things to enjoy, like a magic show and a clown. And the kids get to interact with workers on the train and cheer on Thomas, even doing subtle little dances (this bugged me personally, but I understand it was for the kids so I didn't mind too much).

Other events include the Holiday trains and wine trains. Great opportunity to get boozed up, am I right?

The old buildings add a nice touch, and the coaches are from the 1920s, giving the vintage feel.

1  Thank thetrainking
Reviewed March 25, 2018

I’ve lived in Texas for 5 years now, but I had never done any of the train rides. While having my sister visiting from out of town, I decided to do the ride from grapevine to the stockyards (she has a 10 and an 11 year old kid) mostly for the kids.... big mistake. The train goes very slow and there’s nothing to look at during the ride; all the views are of people’s backyards and construction sites. Not once we saw a field or cattle, or anything remotely resembling a relaxing view. The kids wouldn’t stop complaining about how boring it was, since there was nothing to look at... at points I considered jumping off the train in order to run away from the whole situation but the side of the tracks was so full of trash and some of the neighborhoods so shady I convinced myself to stay till the end. The whole ride took 2 (painful) hours and after that I decided that paying an Uber for a faster more comfortable ride was absolutely worth it. The whole ride was so unremarkable not a single picture was taken

2  Thank guzvalex
Reviewed December 23, 2017

Very disappointed with train ride.Very boring and not much entertainment from staff during train ride.Went 20 minutes in one direction and then backwards 20 minutes for return to train station.Scenery consisted of warehouses and dead brush on route.Trip is over-priced and was not worth the trip to GRAPEVINE.Children were not excited about train experience.