WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center

Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Grapevine
new york city
“Slightly below (Hilton) average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

I frequently stay at Hilton’s and consider them a dependable mid-tier chain. The DFW is slightly below (Hilton) average. The room design was a little strange. With the bathroom door open you could not access the closet. The bathroom was really small (this is Texas everything is supposed to be big!), you needed to push the shower curtain into the bath tub or else snuggle against it when using the toilet. Our first floor room had stains on the curtains and the carpets. Much worse, the outdoor pool and indoor hot tub were pretty dirty. The outdoor pool water was grey and full of debris (leaves and the occasional frog). The indoor hot tub water was opaque and kind of gross. I spotted cockroaches at the indoor pool which is right across from the restaurant. The tennis courts looked well kept and the food quality, beds, linens and employee hospitality were fine. The very personable guy who makes omelets at the $18 per person breakfast buffet had several dollar bills in the center of his work area in an apparent hint for a tip - real classy and likely in violation of health codes. We went horseback riding at the Austin Ranch which is connected to the Hilton. At $40 per person per hour it’s expensive family entertainment. The guide (a cute German girl - Yavol Baby!) and horses were fine but the trail is sub-par. You ride over a heavily used dirt road and on pavement. Its not a back to nature experience since you frequently see and hear traffic and the whole property is underneath an approach route for aircraft heading to and from DFW (so its noisy). Even my horse addicted Niece didn’t want a second ride. I have family in the area and visit once a year but I don’t think we’ll go back to this Hilton.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank redfarb
MStillwell, Manager at Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Thank you for letting us know of your recent stay. We take great pride in our service and quality levels and I am disappointed that your stay was below average.

In regards to the drapes we are in the process of replacing all of our sheers and drapes so on your next visit this will be remedied. In the near term we have sent them out for cleaning. We have met with the housekeeping team and informed them to be more cognizant going forward.

During the summer our outdoor pool by the lake is heavily used and due to the overhang of large trees we have to sweep it several times a day. As a result of your shared comments we have added an additional cleaning to our schedule in an effort to provide better coverage.
We have also added seals around the bottom of the door frame on the indoor pool to help alleviate any migration of insects into this area. We spray the entire hotel 4 times a year; our next spraying is set for the first week in October which will eliminate this issue.

Finally, the imprudent attempt at solicitation by the buffet attendant is unacceptable and I assure this has been addressed. We do not condone this in any way and our Food and Beverage Manager will monitor going forward.

Again, I am truly sorry about the issues you encountered. We were voted “Best of the Best in Overall Service” for airport hotels within Hilton for 2008 and 2009. We can and will do better. If you would like to contact me further to discuss my direct line is 817-410-6956.

Kevin Buck, Assistant General Manager and Director of Room Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Finnish first
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

Stayed here while attending a conference at the Gaylord Texan. This was an excellent alternative to the hotel-on-steroids-Gaylord. Front desk staff is exceptionally attentive. Restaurants are not overpriced for truly good food. Rooms are nicely appointed with a large business area and recliner. Bathroom is a bit small. Bed very comfortable. Executive Lounge was nice with good food and service. Free shuttle to and from the airport is a real plus. Additionally, they will provide shuttle service to area destinations for a nominal fee. Did not use the tennis courts of heath club facilities. Would certainly stay here on future visits.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank SpartyIndianapolis
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

Great hotel located in Grapevine TX. Free shuttle service available to/from DFW airport, and free shuttle also available to outlet mall nearby. Service was very friendly all throughout the hotel, and room was very comfortable. Internet available for a small fee (~$10 a day), and small business center in lobby has free internet service available.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

After a friendly welcome by phone we had an easy and quick pick-up from the airport. After our arrival our luggage was taken for and brought to our room. There is a huge luxurious lobby and forthcoming staff checked us in.

We were upgraded to an executive room, due to my Diamond HHonors status. The room is of a medium size with a good quality King bed, a leather easy chair with side table and a working desk with chair. There was a good coffee machine and two complimentary bottles of water. The bathroom had only a shower. Everything was clean. The curtains could darken the room adequate and it was quiet, so we had a good night sleep.

In the evening we were surprised by the excellent snacks in the executive lounge, much better than the snacks in many other Hilton lounges in the US. There were shrimps, delicious chicken kebabs, springrolls, etc. as well a variety of cheeses and cakes. All the items were presented on a professional and creative way. There was a friendly employee to make drinks and have a chat with the guests.

In the weekend the lounge was closed, so for our departure day, a Saturday, we were given vouchers for the full buffet in the restaurant. This buffet was also outstanding and much better than in many other Hiltons in the US and comparable with breakfast buffets in Europe and Asia. (We find the US Hiltons breakfast buffets in common less than those in European or Asian Hiltons.) There was a rich variety in fruits (among all kinds of fresh berries!!!) and many other things. A pleasant cook, Joseph, made all types of eggs and there is a huge selection in omelet fillings.

Behind the hotel is a beautiful green area to make a nice stroll. There is a ranch and it possible to do horse riding. In all we had a very pleasant stay in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BA-traveler
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed here for a conference, and it worked for that function. I'm usually more of a boutique hotel person, and I'm not overly fond of homogenized, corporate hotels. However, the staff was very helpful, the room clean and comfortable and the hotel worked as it should have.

I would recommend people to bring snacks, as it's a fairly isolated hotel and the restaurant and room service is expensive, as is the custom at a place like this. You're not going to be able to sneak out for a cheap bite easily if you don't have a car.

However, they do have a convenient airport van, which is nice.

I attended a function at the nearby Austin Ranch, which took the "Texas" thing right over the top. I'm a Texan and Texas kitsch both amuses and frustrates. However, it was certainly not as homogenized as the rest of the hotel so that was nice.

Bottom line, it's a conference hotel. It does what it is supposed to do. But the staff is really hard working and lovely. Just beware of 50-something, drunk business types getting down to Lady Gaga in the hotel bar. That can be a little off putting.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

I've actually stayed at plenty hotels in my life from the lower end Ramada Inn to the high end Gaylord Texan. The Hilton DFW Lakes was not up to the Hilton standards. I only booked the room after I saw the decent reviews on trip advisor and since the other nearby hotels were fully booked, I thought I would give it try. We went here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and when we checked in/out the staff was not friendly. We went to our room and it looked nice but the walls were so thin we could hear everything the people next door said. The bed was so soft, I believe from being old because beds are usually firm, my husband's back hurt in the morning. The refrigerator smelled so bad everytime we opened it and we only had drinks in there! It was awful. One of our "new" bathroom towels had a yellow stain on it, the shower was dirty and to top it all off I made some coffee in our room and one of the sirrers had already been used and placed back to look new. I know nothing is perfect but I don't want people to waste their money on this hotel like we did. I've stayed at the Hilton plenty of times but I won't ever go back to this one. If I would have known I would have stayed somewhere else. The only upside, if there is one, is that it's close to plenty of dining, the mall and airport.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank txbabe2010
MStillwell, Manager at Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center, responded to this review, May 26, 2010
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I apologize your stay did not go as planned. Your comments are of great concern as we take great pride in our service and cleanliness and I assure you your comments are not taken lightly. I would love to discuss at your convenience. Please contact me at 817-410-6956.

Again, thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

Kevin Buck, AGM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice and each time they tried to charge an extra cost or stay.
The first time I had a room charge for having a pet in the room; I do not own a pet and did not have pet in the room. The most recent was a extra night room charge. I informed the front desk I would be checking out a day early and was informed that this would be okay and I would not be charged for the third night stay. Two days latter a get a bill charging me for the third night stay. The manager did not have any kinds words and informed me I did not clear the early check out with his staff. Check your bill and get a written copy of what ever the front desk tells you.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay. I would like to discuss at your convenience to get a better understanding of our communication, or in this case the lack thereof. Please contact me at your convenience. My number is 817-410-6956.

Kevin Buck, AGM