“Great Little Park”

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Little Park”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Mission Tejas State Park - the staff were outstanding, the trails easy to follow and well maintained, and the history in the park is amazing! We even tried Geocaching for the first time, using a ranger supplied (free) hand-held GPS unit. Walking a short part of the El Camino Real trail, the same one that Davy Crockett and others traveled, was inspiring.

Some campsite notes: as stated elsewhere the spots are not very level so make sure you have enough leveling blocks or whatever you use. I used all three sets of my blocks, where in other campgrounds the most I've had to use are about one and half of the set of blocks. The water can be a little far also - I could have parked better if I had a longer hose. I've since added a 2nd 25' hose for situations like this. However, even with these "drawbacks" we loved the park and highly recommend it.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank David C

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great park!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Just came back. Camped in an RV. Great park, well maintained, clean bathroom/ showers, very informative, nice, hard working rangers. Nice camping sites. One can learn a lot about TX history there.

Visited March 2014
6 Thank Dixie_cl
Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Nice hiking trails and some interesting history”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I visited in early August primarily to do some hiking. Not only did I find the hiking trails very enjoyable, but I was treated to some interesting history as well.

The park itself is set amongst tall pine trees along the northern end of the Davy Crockett National Forest. It was extremely quiet when I visited near noon on a Sunday, possibly due to the high temperature that day. I was there for about three hours, and never saw another soul other than the ranger at the front gate. The ranger gave me the map of the park which can also be obtained online. She also gave me a map of their new hiking trails which is NOT online yet. I didn't get to the new section, but enjoyed hiking the winding, hilly trails through the woods despite the heat. Most of it was well shaded, and I had plenty of water. I found the pond to be murky looking and likely low due to the drought. At times the trails are a little overgrown and have some downed trees, just remember the color code for the trail you are on and look for the paint markers on the trees to guide your way. These markers were really helpful. I think my favorite areas were the Lightening, Steep Steps, and Olen Matchett trails because of the ruggedness of them.

The first historical feature I came across was the remnants of the fire tower, along with written facts about it. I then walked the trail up to the restored Rice Family Log Home, which was also a place people used to lodge when traveling the El Camino Real from San Antonio to Nacogdoches. Lastly, I hiked the Karl Lovett Trail down to the commemorative mission. It is a replica of the San Francisco de Los Tejas mission church, which was the first mission in Texas.

The restrooms at the parking area were in great shape and very clean. Also located by the parking area are some nice picnic tables and a lovely children's playground.

Also for anyone interested in history, the Caddo Mounds State Historic Site is less than ten minutes away on Hwy 21. Although the museum is closed for renovations until late 2014, the mound site and grounds are open.

I'll return to this peaceful park to hike some of the trails I didn't get around to on this visit.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank j'smomTexas
Austin, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“July at Mission Tejas State Park”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Beautiful, quiet, GREEN!!!
A truly peaceful getaway with pleasantly situated campsites. Clean facilities. Some interesting historic structures. Nice, varied trails.
Outstanding rangers and park personnel - very helpful and knowledgeable.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank t4689
Plano, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Very beautiful State Park in the East Texas forrest”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a small state park in the Davy Crockett National Forrest that just peaceful and beautiful!! They have 15 campsites that are all great. There are several excellent hiking trails that we enjoyed. There is not television or cell service, just peace and quiet!

Visited May 2013