“mediocre property with exceptional staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Grand Prairie
great falls, va
“mediocre property with exceptional staff”
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Yes it's past it's prime. Yes there are newer fancier options there. But they pick you up at the airport when they tell you, in a van with chilled water and snacks. Ricky the driver will give you a great narrative. They have popcorn out in the lobby. They take you to a restaurant if you like. The breakfast is out, the coffee is hot, and the staff really tries hard. Shameeka will smile behind the desk and help with anything you need. On an overnight connection through Dallas I could not have asked for more. This effort deserves a renovated property.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
fort worth
Reviewed February 1, 2009

It was a pleasure staying here. The team at the hotel was VERY friendly, and showed great customer service. I am a service trainer for a large car manufacturer, and I had the opportunity to witness the staff interact with the managers. It was very productive and as an outsider, you can tell that there was great respect for everyone which filtered to the hotel guest. This is a property that I will be using as best demonstrated practice for seminars to come. Thank you for the award winning service, and I will be returning!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Length of my trip
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Stayed here with large group. We were all disappointed. Breakfast was fine and typical but rooms are very dated and hotel is old and aging. Many in our group had problems with air conditioning working properly and lights in rooms. We asked to change rooms because we were near elevator (even though we asked not to be) and the noise was so loud we could not sleep. When we moved to another floor we were still near elevator and had to move a 3rd time! I did leave a small item in one of the rooms which was not there when we went back to check for it but two weeks later in showed up in the mail from the hotel (we(we filled out a lost item form) so that was nice and unexpected.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Aging hotel
  • Stayed March 2008
Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2007

It's nice to know that there is great customer service out there in the travel industry. We stayed at this Hampton Inn back in July and my husband and I found the staff to be very attentive and caring on our stay. The hotel was very clean and the breakfast was great too! Thanks...

• Liked — Customer Service, Cleanliness and Great Breakfast
  • Disliked — No opinion
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Maryland
Reviewed June 26, 2007

I stayed here a few months back, and was dissapointed by the hotel. When I found out I was going back on business again, I booked another property. But my supervisor only stays at Hamptons, and he requested we all stay at the same property. So I changed my reservation, crossed my fingers and hopped for the best.

Guess what - It was EVEN WORSE this time. The rooms are just filthy. Not because the housecleaning staff doesnt do its best, but because the hotel needs serious renovations. Carpet is stained and worn. Paint in the bathrooms is peeling. Rust stains in the shower. Lighting in the rooms is dingy (actually, bright lights would probably show the flaws evern more).

Many Hampton's send me follow-up e-mails asking what I thought of my stay. I've never received one from this property, and understand why.

Front desk staff go through the motions asking if everything is ok, but they really don't want to hear the complaints. When I have offered my thoughts, they just look down and pretend to be busy. Maybe they've heard it all to often?

Do NOT stay at this property if you can avoid it.

• Disliked — The hotel is worn out. DIrty, rusty, and needs renovations
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Statmans
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Hampton going down, every time I go to Hampton Inn find them a little less good than the last.

In this case, the hotel is not as clean as Hampton standards (this is my first time in this property)

The room: the toilet barely works, it has to be flushed twiced all the time; the sink is connected backwards, hot water is in the right; one of the towels was ripped in three areas.

Breakfast on May 15 was awful, the worst scrambled eggs I've eaten and no bread variety as I have seen in other Hamptons before. Definitely breakfast is not an option here.

Foyer, between both sliding doors has been dirty for two days (I am still a guest while writing this), carpets in hallways are not as clean as Hampton Inn standards say.

Anyway, not what I expected; I remember my first Hamton (Houston Galleria) 10 years ago, it was an excellent place for business travel; seems that not anymore.

• Liked — pillows
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaragono
Rochester, NY
Reviewed February 12, 2007

The hotel appeared dated. Staff was very friendly. Their business center was being renovated but the front desk let me use their computer to print my boarding pass. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The hotel has wireless connectivity but lacks electrical outlets for the laptop. Other little annoyances such as a leaking toilet, unplugged clock, low water pressure for the shower and the noise of closing doors made this stay average. The breakfast was average (stale bagels but great coffee). The only restaurant within walking distance appeared to be an Ihop.The rate was very appealing and it is not too far from the airport.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business