“Below Standard”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Grand Prairie
Nashville, Tennessee
“Below Standard”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Diamond status therefore I stay at a fair amount of Hilton properties. This is at least a few notches below HI standard. I knew what I was getting into when I drove up and the big hotel sign had some lights out. It was downhill from there. More on par with a Super 8.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lubbock, United States
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Older property near our daughter and family, easily accessed on SH360. Staff uniformly pleasant and helpful, but there were several age related problems with bath and equipment, readily addressed by staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Texarkana, TX
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Unbelievable check-out experience at this Hampton Inn.

I had to check-out at 4:30 AM to catch a 6:30 AM flight at DFW. I arrived at the desk - no one to be seen. I spoke up; "Helllooo!". Nothing. I looked for a door to access the office behind the desk - no luck as it was locked.

Here I was, ready to go, short on time and needing to verify check-out. No one to help

The decision was made, I would telephone the very Hampton I was standing in, from in front of the desk. My hope was that someone would answer. It worked! A young lady answered by saying "I'll be out in a second." and then promptly hung up. And then, viola! The door behind the desk opened and there she was, ready to assist.

Interestingly Monica had created a cozy sleep room out of the back office. She left the door open just long enough for me to see her very nice digs. A stack of duvets served as a bed on the floor of the office. Quaint really. And also reflective of terribly sloppy management. I needed service and the on-duty clerk was sleeping the night away on the office floor. Who is running this place and checking on the staff?

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Khalid Y, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear John M,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback of your recent experience with us. I'm so sorry to hear about your incident. We always try to do whatever we can to make sure that our guests feel cared for, valued, and respected, and I apologize that we fell short of our normally standards. I have passed your comments along to our front desk staff to ensure that this does not happen again. Thank you again for your comments as they will help us to better our property for the future. We hope you'll give us another chance the next time you're in town!

Best regards,
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I first stayed at a Hampton Inn somewhere in the south in the late 1980s. This property was built at that same time - not too much has been done to it since.

This property is located adjacent to a busy highway and is convenient to DFW. Entering the property the first thing the guest sees is the pool!? Kind of reminded me of a roadside motel my parents took me to in the 1970s, but I digress. The exterior is clean, but dated. This is obviously a first or second generation Hampton.

The lobby area is small and has not received the updates that most Hamptons have experienced. My check-in was a challenge as another guest had already signed for the room to which I was assigned. A young man (name unknown - no nametag) worked with Claudia to assure me that all was well - I would not walk in on another guest. I was patient and polite throughout the experience. So, here is a customer service "save" thought: Why not reprint the document first so that the customer doesn't see the error to begin with? Interesting, huh? Better that than to invest time to try to explain and scribble out the error. It looked unprepared and unprofessional and I expect better when I am investing my business dollars in an overnight stay.

At check-in I informed the clerk that I would need an airport shuttle. However, this was not possible as the shuttle doesn't start running until 6:00 AM. My flight departed at 6:40 AM. The clerk cheerfully offered to reserve a cab - for a $40 fare plus tip. For that, I should have stayed at the Hilton down the street - same money and an around the clock shuttle. Interestingly, the hotel website makes no mention of limitations on shuttle service. That is unacceptable and should be corrected so that consumers can make an informed choice of properties.

Elevator cabs in the property were interesting as they had three full walls of mirrors - one simply doesn't see that much, and we all know why. ;) Elevator service was prompt and cabs were found to be clean.

Interior hallways were found to be clean and well lit. Access to the room via key card worked as advertised.

The sleeping room and bath were clean, bedding and bath amenities were typical for the chain. Furniture was found to be unattractive and inconsistent with the brand. Frankly, it looked cheap for a mid-priced property. All electrical devices worked as advertised, adequate electrical outlets were available and internet speeds were adequate.

Check-out was a brief affair - it had to be as my cab was waiting with the meter running.

I travel extensively and Hampton Inns tend to be a property of choice for me. This facility simply doesn't measure up to the brand and thus, is damaging for the brand for it to fly the flag. If given the opportunity to visit there in the future, I would pass it by in favor of another property. I suggest that you do the same.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, United States
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Of the hotels nearby, I probably could have stayed at the Super 8 and saved some money. I stayed because it was a Hilton property, but it needs a modernization update. Turned on the heating system and it set off the smoke detector in my room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

United States
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I did not choose this property my frugal coworker did. I now wish I had pushed a little harder for a better property. This Hampton is in desperate need of updating. Furnishings are worn and outdated and the ac/heat is annoyingly loud. The bathroom is clean but very tiny. The outlets are virtually non-existent ( a couple under desk and in bathroom) not at all good for business travelers. You will hear slamming doors all night and you will hear your neighbors conversations. Elevators are slow and free breakfast isn't very appealing. The front desk staff is for the most part pretty helpful and friendly, it's the one thing that saves this Hampton from falling into the poor category. I will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kempner, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The price for this hotel is well worth it. The staff is super friendly and helpful along with the hotel being EXTREMELY clean. They have a workout facility with modern machines, a big TV that can be on while you're doing your cardio workout. The gym was extremely clean as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

La Quinta Inn & Suites Dallas Grand Prairie South
Blue Cypress Hotel
Blue Cypress Hotel
#15 of 62 in Arlington

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson? Share your experiences!