“Plenty of food at reasonable pricing”

Ton's Mongolian Grill BBQ
Ranked #40 of 222 Restaurants in Grand Prairie
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Ton's is a mongolian buffet where they prepare the food at central location while you watch them. The food quality and variety was acceptable as was the bill which was under twenty dollars for two of us including soft drinks.

The ambience itself was very basic and spartan with people just sitting and eating on bench tables. If you're hungry you won't be when you leave.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Positives: cold fresh protieins and veggies, many different sauces, inexpensive
Negatives: greasy dust seen over grill area, lights, etc.

When done "right", Mongolian grills are one of my favorite types of restaurants. First, they specialize in a cuisine not seen on every street corner. In addition, they allow "audience participation" during the meal preparation process.

From our one visit, it seems Ton's is a middle-of-the-road establishment. It has some good qualities and some areas for improvement.

Overall, the restaurant has a confused "American oriental" ambience. I wonder if the space was formerly occupied by a different type of eatery. Most walls are the shade of pale green once used in schools and public bulidings. Much of the trim is dark red.

The grill area, located prominently near the front entrance, is aqua and orange, trimmed with neon lights. Wainscoating around the buffet counter is a "field of stars" wallpaper reminiscent of an American flag.

Although a band of neon light encircles the dining room, that area is somewhat dark. Funishings are worn but serviceable. Some spaces, particularly the hallway leading to the bathroom and the bathrooms themselves, could use another coat of paint.

Ton's offers a fairly extensive variety of ingredients. This is one area in which they excel. Proteins range from chicken and tofu to crab. Oriental vegetables include traditional favorites like snow peas and water chestnuts to classics like carrots and green beans, and a great many things in-between.

Their sauce counter contains at least a dozen, maybe more, flavored oils and seasonings. (I didn't count the exact number.) Charts attempt to clarify which seasonings go best with certain items but we found them confusing. We managed to turn out a good product but could probably do better with experience. Several visits could be required to find combinations you like best.

It's always fun to see your meal prepared on the flat griddle at places like this. Cooks at Ton's certainly deserve contributions to the tip jar.

While waiting for our meals to be completed, I noticed an abundance of greasy dust above the grilling area. The neon lights were coated in the stuff; in fact, the grill canopy needed a general cleaning.

A "catchall" gutter surrounded the griddle surface. It contained more waste and debris than I've ever seen at a Mongolian grill.

While eating we saw another alarming event. Fuorescent lights over the proteins were not functioning when we arrived. The lights were of the "stick" variety. A couple of workers replaced them while we ate...but failed to cover the food. We'd seen a certain amount of dust on those fixtures while selecting ingredients. I'm sure some of that ended up in the meat.

Incidentally, the new lights didn't work either, so they returned the originals to the fixture!

When customers select ingredients, wait for them to be cooked, and carry the finished product to their own table, servers don't have much left to do! However, our waitress was diligent to keep drinks refilled and bring rice as we required.

Unlike most modern restaurants, customers at Ton's still "pay at the counter" as they leave. The wait provided an opportunity to look at the framed but faded newspaper articles dating back 10 years and more. Although they may have a great heritage, it's time to update the lobby with more relevant items in better condition.

The food here IS good but the "dining experience" leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps Ton's should increase their prices a bit and use the proceeds to clean and update the faciity.

They also need do some serious scrubbing. As a frequent visitor to the area, I have reservations about returning unless the grill is cleaned and workers take precautions when working around ingredients.

1  Thank The_Real_Birdcatcher
Reviewed June 25, 2012

They have a great selection of meats and veggies to choose from. The price can't be beat. Make sure to request rice and eggs be added to your meal when you give your bowls to the cooks. And the review concerning always tasting the same - no. You sauce it the way you want it and every time can be different.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

My traveling companion was familiar with Ton's Mongolian so he showed me the ropes. It was so good, we ate here twice in 1 week. It is all you can eat for $10! You fill two bowls, 1 with raw meat/seafood and the other with every imaginable raw vegetable you want. You can pick from a variety of sauces as well or no sauce (Garlic, Soy, so many I can't remember). Then it is cooked over an open grill and presented piping hot on a plate to you, sesame seeds optional. Rice is on the table and your choice of drink.
I wish we had a place like this in Rochester

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Ton's was my first experience with a Mongolian-style buffet when a co-worker took me here 8 years ago. I got my wife and kids hooked on the place too, so anytime we're in the area, we try to stop in. I've taken a few friends here in the past as well and they've all loved it. The employees are always very friendly and there are familiar faces that I've seen on nearly every single one of my visits. My only complaint is that Ton's is over 2 hours away from my home.