“Nice people, but much better discount hotel choices in DFW area”

Super 8 Grand Prairie North
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Grand Prairie
USA
“Nice people, but much better discount hotel choices in DFW area”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

This hotel needs major work, on rooms, plumbing, and security. We stayed for 2 nights to attend the 2010 Armed Forces Bowl football game at SMU, and hit the Christmas holiday rides at Six Flags, and had to immediately change rooms per a poor toilet - and the second room's wasn't much better; also heard someone's vehicle window being smashed at 3 in the morning, and a number of arguing and drunken guests in the halls, rooms, and parking lot. The staff was alert and courteous, but obviously aware of these issues - something the chain (and local police) needs to address, most likely. Access to I-30 was easy, Six Flags about 10 minutes west, Dallas 15 minutes east, and there are fast food outlets within a few minutes drive - would NOT suggest walking this area, at any hour, from multiple observations. For something comparable in price and a much better overall facility, check out the Super 8 off I-20 near Rt 360 (we've been there too, and written a separate review). Hopefully this and other comments will lead to some prompt improvements, as this is otherwise an ideal location for Arlington activities and DFW stays, and should be an asset for Super 8, which we generally like and use regularly for cheap travel nights.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We were coming to Grand Prairie to see a concert at the Nokia theater, so I chose this hotel because it was nearby. I guess for the price it was exactly what it was worth. We got 2 nonsmoking rooms, but one definitely smelled strongly of smoke. The continental breakfast was small- danishes and breads. It was just down the street from the theater though, so that made it easy for us. Plus the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum was right down the block, too, and the kids enjoyed that very much. The hotel has free delivery from a local Italian restaurant with decent prices, and the food was good. There was nothing spectacular about this facility, but it was a good price and convenient for our purpose.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Arkansas
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I stayed at this hotel a few years back, and would have to agree with some of the reviews below in regards to the quality. However, recently I stayed at this hotel again, and it is definitely a vast improvement. The rooms have since been updated, and the 2 rooms I had for my group were spotless. Staff was friendly, and breakfast was exactly in line with what I have come to know from Super 8. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
hong kong
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I need a room in the mid-way of my long drive to Carlsbad. Off from the highway, I found this hotel from my GPS. My previous experience with Super8 has been good so Super8 is my first choice. Unfortunately, when I asked for a room, the lady was very rude and said the rate is $79. I said Super8 seldom charged so high and was told that the regualr rate is $64 and now the motel is nearly full so they have to raise the price. I was shocked by such a reply and requested to have the regular rate. The answer was no so I left feeling really annoyed. I ended up to have a very good room for just $42 tax included in Motel 6 - just their next door! I wished I could find a channel to complain to Super 8 about their rudeness and unreasonable policy.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
florida
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We asked for a non smoking room, it wasn't. The rooms carpet is stained. It stinks so bad of smoke that it gives you a headache. The filter on the a/c unit was so dirty that my husband put it in the bathtub and cleaned it. That helped a little with the overall smell of the room. We have to small dogs and we were told that this is what is available. I found a roach crawling overhead of the rack where you hang your clothes. It is a filthy room. Don't waster your time or money on this motel.

• Liked — cheap, you get what you pay for
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis
Reviewed April 24, 2006

This hotel has seen better days but wasn't as bad as I expected. Breakfast in the morning was cereal and milk and bread items. Lots of kids running around. Seemed like a very slow day at the hotel since I was able to get another room when I discovered the television in my room wasn't clear.

I attended a concert so stayed at the hotel for only one night.

Very close to Nokia Theatre.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Quality Inn & Suites
#9 of 22 in Grand Prairie
Hyatt Place Dallas/North Arlington/Grand Prairie
Wingate by Wyndham Arlington

Been to Super 8 Grand Prairie North? Share your experiences!