“Most fun under $200 the grandkids have ever had”

Dinosaur Trail Cabins and Cottages
Dinosaur Trail Cabins and Cottages
Ranked #13 of 18 Granbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We booked the Jurassic cabin as a spur-of-the-moment thing for ourselves and 3 young granddaughters. The entire stay was a delightful surprise. There is a trail right outside the back door of this cabin, with cheesy giant "dinosaurs" around every bend! The girls LOVED it. There was a little plaque with info about each dinosaur, which was actually educational and enjoyable at the same time. The breakfast was a little too "grown up" for the taste of my girls. My husband and I loved it, but it would have been a good idea to add some cereal or something kid-friendly. The breakfast casserole they had was delicious, mind you, but our girls, and the child of another couple in another cabin, didn't touch it. The owner was very nice, and everything else was perfect. We will be back!

Room Tip: The Jurassic cabin is the only one big enough for a family to be comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mombatDallas

Reviewed January 13, 2011

So there's not an incredible amount of information out there for this B&B, and frankly I knew I was taking a chance in planning our family trip here. But, I have a three year old son who likes dinosaurs, so why not?

Let me say right away that this is no Great Wolf Lodge or Hyatt on the Plaza. While all of the accomodations were clean and spacious to be sure, the amenities from the TV (only VHS!) to the croquet set were older units. The dinos along the trail were perfect for my three year old, but might disinterest some more inquisitive 9 or 10 year olds more quickly (we did the trail 7 or 8 times though, and probably more if it had been warmer!). Yet, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, as the age and simplicity of the items on hand brought their own quaintness to the environment, and really put the focus back to spending quality family time more so than anything. My wife and I were really able to relax and immediately feel at home in the Jurassic Cabin - not really something you feel in a sterile hotel room.

Most of all, Gary and Karylene are excellent hosts, and sharing breakfasts with them truly rounded out the experience for my family. They know about kids!! Had a high chair and a guardrail for the bed all ready to go for us! They are really sweet people that you just wish you could spend all day talking to.

All in all, if your family is especially picky or particular about top-of-the-line amenities or luxury in general, I would say this is not the place for you. But, if your family can enjoy a board game together, or a game of horseshoes on a well used set, or even watching Jurassic Park together on a 27" TV after admiring the models in Dinosaur World, I would say that Dinosaur Trail would appeal to you. We certainly are laid back and had an awesome time!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank crosseyed_matt
Reviewed July 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Dinosaur Trail over the 4th of July weekend. We drove four hours to get there, and even though I received a speeding ticket near Waco that glitch didn't diminish from the wonderful time! We stayed three nights, and the first night (Thursday, July 3rd) we were the only guests. This meant that we had wonderful personal service from our hosts. The homemade cookies and fruit were yummy and most welcome (I'll admit, we didn't eat a lot of fruit, and the cookies didn't last long).

We had excellent breakfasts that really started our day in the Granbury area. We stayed in the Cowboy cabin, which was stocked with Western movies, done up in a western motif, and even had a picture of The Duke on the nightstand. I even read The Working Cowboys Manual while I was there (while I haved lived in Texas for over 30 years, I was born in New York). The cabin was memorable and we loved it. We even watched Red River! We'd like to come back and try the Jurassic cabin next time. We hiked the dinosaur trail several times and enjoyed the beauty of the area.

Not even 100 degree temperatures could take away from the wonderful time we had! We had a fun and event-filled weekend that we didn't want to end.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank HoustonMBA
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We had a great stay in this cabin. Our family has a hard time finding a place to stay with six children. This was an ideal place for us. Our children loved the playground and 1/4 mile walk through Dino Trail. What a great opportunity for our children to learn about God's creatures while spending family time together. The cabin was full of amenities for everyone; from reading books to watching movies, playing cards to whirlpool baths, building puzzles to dancing with Dad to the oldies on there beautiful record player. The owners did a great job making us feel at home and providing extra treats for our family (cakes, cookies, sodas, and breakfast). This is an excellent cabin for a large family and close enough to visit Fossil Rim and Dinosaur State Park. What a great weekend to end the summer! Thanks.
The Buhler Family
Fort Worth, Texas

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas
Reviewed May 3, 2005

This was a very unique b&b in a very unique town. Granbury is a great historic town with a lot of personality. Dinosaur Trails and its unique personality fits right in. Great location on the lake with fabulous 'dinosaur' walking trails - very educational. Oh the snacks were to die for! The bed was soooo cozy! The 'Pink Rose' cottage divine!

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed February 26, 2005

The cowboy cabin was awesome, got a great nights sleep, liked the fact that they had a VCR on the TV. Granbury is a cool town with an old time square and lots of cool stuff at the stores. The trail at the b & b was nice. Good food too. The lake is close too (about 100 yards or less) and can be seen from the trail.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ventura, California
Reviewed January 5, 2004

I can't begin to tell you how much my husband, my grandchildren and myself enjoyed our stay at the Dinosaur Trail B&B. The owners were so thoughtful and helpful an their place is clean, unique, comfortable, and lots of fun. They thought of everything to make our visit great. It was so nice to find a place we can enjoy and that not only accepts kids but is fun and educational for them too! Granbury is a wonderful town and we can't wait to return. Thank you for the tip on the cabins, we couldn't have found a better place to stay. Pam White

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member