“Awesome getaway, step back in time”

Nutt House Historic Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Granbury
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After seeing some of the other reviews here, I was determined to add my 2 cents after staying there this weekend. My girlfriend and I decided to take a quick getaway and this place was perfect. We wanted to stay on the square to fully experience Grandbury, and this was the perfect place to do it. I had no problem with reservations, other than I never did receive an email confirmation after booking - but I called and confirmed. We were warmly greeted by Melinda when we got there, and had no problems at check in. This place has soooo much history and character to it, you can't help but like it if you're into that. You walk through the store to get to the staircase, which creaks at every step as you walk to the rooms upstairs. Lots of dark woods throughout. Common area upstairs offers a nice view of the courthouse and surrounding square. The room itself was incredible - the doors have to be the original ones, and there are old time windows above them you can open. Bathroom was clean and spacious, and we felt like we had stepped back in time when we entered the room. Old time historic pictures of people are throughout the rooms and upstairs (kinda creepy; reminded us of the movie "The Others", but we loved it - even named some of the people in them...lol). Air conditioning was a little loud at times, but a welcome relief to the outside Texas heat. We got vouchers to use across the square for breakfast, and the food was great and very inexpensive. I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a "step back in time" experience, some local history, extremely comfortable and clean accommodations, and some small town Texas hospitality.

Room Tip: General David and Sudie Nutt Suite is a good one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Layne L

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our family checked in and checked right out haunted creepy noises very old school only 5 rooms Internet does not work at the rooms. The owner is very helpful but they go home at night and leave you alone in this creepy place even of you are the only guest.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank FluffyKiko
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Easy to find, self check in after hours... Room and bathroom was super and loved the history of the place. Who wouldn't want to stay in the NUTT house!!

One big problem was road traffic noise that woke my husband up around 6 AM. Not what you want during a restful getaway. If we go again, we will choose the inside room away from street.

We DID have a giant mix up with the breakfast which was supposed to be provided. We got a "voucher" from a restaurant around the corner for our meal when we checked in the night before. My husband went the next morning, ordered our meal and presented the voucher. They had never heard of it so there was a time of debate about that. They ended up "capping" our meal and husband had to pay the rest. I would certainly double check the breakfast situation before you go.

We were there Thanksgiving week and the courthouse square was beautifully decorated. I understand if we had stayed one more day, we could have seen the Christmas parade! Grandbury is a great little getaway!

When we got back after Thanksgiving break, it was fun to say "I went to the Nutt House!"

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper... ask for the room away from the street.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank txfrmgrl
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My wife and I had taken off for the weekend to go stay at the Granbury Square Flat. The Nutt House Hotel, North Texas Classic Reservations, and Melinda behind the front desk were all responsible for the reservation. I called as we were leaving our home to confirm our reservation because I have had bad experiences with hotels before. Melinda said "she was ready for us". Once we arrived she gave us our key and directed us where to go. We walked down to where we were staying to realize the door was double locked and they didn't have another key. They sent us; not went for us, not went with us, but sent us around back with some other lady at another store to try the back door. There, we found that someone was already staying there. So, we went back to Melinda. All she did was complained about the owners of the place and said it was all their fault. We got our money back and stayed the night at The Hilton on the water. They had great customer service. The Nutt House Hotel provided horrible customer service, a horrible overall experience, and I will never return...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank jcckoder
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I had never heard anything about the Nutt Hotel. We went because we read the reviews here and by pictures seen on the Nutt House Web Site. If you are a high maintance traveler this place is not for you! We met the booking agent upon arrival..She gave us the key to the room, the code to the door, and the vouchers for breakfast at the diner across the street and she left. We had the whole 2 story historical hotel all to our self. She instructed us on everything from the European plumbing (it takes a while for the water to get hot in the bathroom but once it does it is super hot and that is great for relaxing in the large bath...with bubble bath of course!), where to find extra blankets incase we got cold, and how to find the sodas and water which you pay the honor system and the free ice cream! Once you are left alone it is like you stepped into a Victorian day hotel! Beautiful antiques, comfy beds, and your totally alone.

Now at about 3am we were awaken to a kitten crying at our door. We did not get up and assumed that they had a cat who wanted into our room. My husband feel right to sleep but as I was trying to fall asleep I heard 2 low voices talking and keys rattling.(I assumed that she was leading a late arrival to their room and I soon feel asleep never to be awaken again. The next day we got up had our wonderful breakfast across the street and when we returned we saw the booking agent and I asked if the hotel had a cat. She replied "No" Why? We told her the story! There have been many ghostly reports at the hotel. She had stated that they just had some ghost hunters there doing a pre investigation and since they had left allot of activity had happen. We were there on Monday and she stated that they would be back for a full investigation with a large team on Thursday! We wanted to stay to be there! We loved it and we are planning to go back! So if you’re not scared and you like ghostly adventures it’s a bonus! We just can't say enough about the whole experience. It was wonderful, relaxing but yet exciting!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cullumclan
Reviewed April 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon in 2001. Stayed in the same room on our anniversary last two nights. I don't know what some of these people who gave bad reviews are all about, my guess is silver spoon types. The rooms are clean, comfortable and decorated very creatively with period antiques. The rooms are spacious with 15 foot ceilings. From the very first night, I knew the place ran on the honor system. On our honeymoon we were told to leave money in an envelope, pick a room/key and have a good night. Some people have a hard time wrapping their mind around this for some reason. Also, if the only reason your staying in a 100 year old plus building is for the complimentary breakfast, then you are the kind that determine a gift by the wrapping paper. The noise that someone else complained about is because it is on the square. I mean literally on the square. The walls are about a foot and a half of hand cut stone, not magic sound proof pixie dust. The woman who owns it is handicapped but very sweet and trusts everybody. She goes home at night, end of story. If you can't take care of yourself in an extremely beautiful, old, historic hotel, then you should either travel with mum and dad, or stay at a Holiday Inn. We absolutely loved it. On Thursday night we were the only ones in the hotel. It was AWESOME. We had the run of the place, but we too are honest, so we didn't smoke or take anything away but memories. If you don't sweat the small stuff, and just love a beautiful historic place to stat that's right on the square, then this place is for you.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank shotsky1069
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Stayed here for our 12th anniversary. So much nicer than cookie cutter accomodations. No ghosts...but comfortable bed, wonderfully natural light rooms with lots of windows covered with plantation shutters, & recently remodeled luxurious large bathroom. Quiet and romantic room at the rear of the bulding. Would not recommend for physically disabled though I have knee problems (but knew it going in) and rooms accessed by long flight of stairs. Was slow going but not impossible. WORTH THE CLIMB!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple