“LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!”
Review of Wildcatter Ranch

Wildcatter Ranch
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Graham
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Need a resting retreat and are a nature lover, this is the place for you. Our family was in need of some quality time and this was it. Just sitting on the porch in the rocking chairs and talking to each other. Sometimes you need to shut off the electronics and listen. Beautiful nature everywhere and top of the line cabin and all the comforts of home. Excellent food and enjoyed the horseback riding experience. Saw armadillos, road runners, longhorns, lots of nature to take in. Highly recommend !!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Roughly two hours west of DFW this is a great place to escape for a few nights. What really sets it apart is the staff. Daniel, Jeremy, and Clint were incredibly friendly and accommodating. We booked one of their packages and stayed in a cabin. The room exceeded expectations in quality, and the views are great. There are multiple guided outdoor activities to book, and free equipment and hiking trails also. The restaurant service does not match the ranch staff, however the food, free breakfast, and dinner were wonderful. The weekend lunch menu is somewhat limited but still good. WiFi and cable are included if you get tired of the outdoors (or bad weather). Graham itself offers very little to do, so plan to hang around the ranch or run down to Possum Kingdom lake. We will definitely return some day!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the ranch it was more than we could have hoped for. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the ranch dogs Hoss and Ranger instantly put a smile on our faces. We were there with our two boys ages 13 and 12. This was THEIR kind of holiday. We enjoyed horseback riding with ranch hands Clint and Jeremy, who were two of the most polite young gentlemen around. We had the privilege of spending a full day with Jay as he took us on a jeep ride around the ranch. We fed the longhorns which was a tried and true Texas experience, and we had a go at archery as well. But hands down the highlight for the boys was the skeet shooting/clay shooting. Jay was not only knowledgeable but he was also so very patient, polite and kind . We could not have asked for a better guy to spend the day with. The dinners were spectacular and the all included breakfast made a good start to each day. We stayed in a cabin and it was absolutely perfect. It was large, clean, and rustic in its decor....perfect for the ranch. The sunsets were beautiful out on the back deck of the cabin. The stars at night did a fine job showcasing the big Texas sky. Our only regret is that we did not stay longer. We look forward to another trip to Texas and the Wildcatter Ranch.

Room Tip: I recommend the cabins for sure. Ask for a cabin with a west patio if you enjoy a lovely sunset.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dexcade123
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here for a few days during a cold March, but that didn't stop us having fun here. The staff made us very welcome, as was Hass the local dog who was chilling out in the sun. Our cabin was fantastic with great views over the wild west. We did wrap up and watched the sun go down from our rocking chairs and our complementary bottle of wine. The hot tub has amazing views too, and a great way to relax after a long drive to the ranch.

Each morning we went to feed the long horns, they are very friendly towards humans and aren't as intimidating as they look when you have their food. Jay, the cowboy, made us feel like one of the gang and was always making sure we were enjoying our stay.
Clint (another cowboy) took us on our horse ride and told us all about the history of the area, from the Native American Indians to when the white man came, to the oil boom, at first glance you could thing nothing has ever happened here, but this is far from the truth.

There is also a basketball court which you can bring your own ball or rent from the front desk for no charge, also a volleyball court, outdoor fitness course and hammocks. So lots to do after your activities.

However, the best highlight for me was the steaks in the restaurant, I can't recommend it enough.

All in all, a great few days away.

Room Tip: Go in a warmer time of year
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

With our special needs kids at camp for Spring Break, my wife and I wanted to spend some time with our typical 16 year old daughter. Wildcatter was a great selection. West of Dallas/Ft. Worth, it offers the best 90 minute horseback trail ride I've ever been on, as well as reasonably priced archery and skeet shooting. We stayed in one of the cabins, which has a nice gas fireplace, which was plenty big for the three of us. Infinity pool was too cold to swim but the hot tub was heated and a nice break. Great staff brought on board for Spring Break. Free breakfast was good and filling and dinners at the steakhouse were excellent. Went into town one night to catch a movie at the old-style National Theater and ate at a great restaurant on the town square. Only negative is they claim spa activities, but not really. They have a massage therapist who will come out when scheduled.

Room Tip: Cabins with fireplace are great. Can't comment on rooms in the hotel but I'm sure they'...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank clayontheroad
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was the second time I visited the Wildcatter for a business meal. It offers good meals, good scenery, and a great atmosphere. Our first visit was a little better. I couldn't tell if they'd had a management change or if it was an "off" night. The hotel looks nice and we wished we'd stayed there... Maybe next time!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank W5PFG
Reviewed January 5, 2013

It's a great opportunity to share the review of our stay - just one weekend apart from visitors that reported a lower rating of the experience - for the sake of comparison. My husband scheduled our stay at the Wildcatter ranch for our second wedding anniversary. We stayed the weekend of December 21-23 of 2012. When we arrived, we were greeted by a warm and efficient staff. We easily checked in and fell in love with our room which was on the end of one of the cabins - the bed was comfortable and HUGE - the fireplace was wonderfully romantic and the view was beautiful - I can only imagine what it would be like in the spring or fall - and we plan to see for ourselves!

We readied ourselves for our dinner reservation and were seated very soon. There were other famlies waiting to be seated, at the bar, or dining when we arrived. It had the feel of the holiday season. Our wait person Alex was top notch. He took great care to make sure we enjoyed our dining experience and had a special personal touch in getting to know us and helping us feel welcome. Dinner of course was excellent. I only wish I had saved room for dessert.

The next morning we went to feed the longhorns on the ranch. As opposed to another reviewer, we were relieved and excited to not have too many people there to contend with for reservations and activities - it gave us a chance to get to know the staff and ask all sorts of questions about the ranch and it's history which I assure you is more rich than most would imagine. Many of the staff possesses specialized expertise on a number of topics of interest related to the workings of a ranch, the history of the area, sport shooting and horsemanship, etc... - I prefer that kind of individual attention of such a personable staff rather than the socializing and shmoozing that the previous reviewer was apparently seeking from the experience.

We had a fantastic trail ride from Clint - he emphasized safety and was careful to address questions before or during the ride. By our mistake, we had not given ourself time (or transportation) to get to the skeet shooting after our ride - Clint very quickly helped us to get where we needed to go for our next activity. That is just one example of the personal touch we recieved during our stay.

Though I had never shot a rifle, Jay helped reassure me and gave safe and competent instruction. I did not imagine I would hit anything but he very patiently observed how I was standing and shooting in order to give me some ideas of how to correct my aim. I hit quite a few of the skeet to my surprise! We were able to ask questions and learn more about shooting and safety. Both Jay and Clint were knowledgeable and helpful.

I haven't even touched on the fascinating history in this review...I won't spoil it for you. But as a real lover of history, tradition, legacy, and lifelong learning - the Wildcatter ranch offerred an experience with a personal touch that is unmatched by any other of my or my husbands world travels.

We decided to make the ranch a part of our family tradition for many years to come.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DrCMK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graham
Best Western Plus Graham Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Graham
The Cliffs Resort
The Cliffs Resort
#1 of 1 in Graford
No photo provided
Revel Manor
#2 of 3 in Graham

Been to Wildcatter Ranch? Share your experiences!