“Not Sure How They Charge So Much For A Room”
Review of The Cliffs Resort

and 1 more site!
The Cliffs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Graford
Reviewed May 2, 2009

We (early 30s couple) stayed for one night on the romance package and even with a discount I have no clue how they charge so much for a low end Marriott type room. Everything about this place is over-rated and not worth it. We had a Lake view room, according to everyone I asked it was the best room they offer and wasn't worth the price.

Maybe we are snobby but I dont think so. If you charge over $250 a night and title it a 'resort' you expect some level of comfort and service which the 'Cliffs Resort' doesnt meet. A couple of examples, the 'art work' they have on the walls is actually rugs from Target wjhich we have in our garage. We called at 6:00 PM to get towels because our room didnt have any on the towel rack and they said room keeping is gone so you need to go to the front desk to get them, etc...

I have golfed there and its a great course but everything else is overpriced, outdated and not worth half of what they ask per night. I wish I could report different but you should know what you are signing up for.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Cliffs Resort

Reviewed March 27, 2009

I loved my stay! My sister and I went at the end of August to miss the summer rush and it was wonderful. Our room was spacious and clean with a patio overlooking the lake. The food was phenomenal! We both had relaxing massages in the spa and I enjoyed the work out room. My favorite was being able to run on a treadmill first thing in the morning while watching the sunrise over the lake and humming birds fly by the window. Gorgeous scenary and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We returned from an overnight stay at The Cliffs Resort a couple of weeks ago. This was an absolutely amazing experience. I had scouted the place out a few weeks before, as I was looking for someplace to propose to my girlfriend. I spoke with the restaurant manager and general manager to set up a private dinner at an area behind the restaurant. We had a dedicated server who was wonderful (Megan, if I remember correctly) and saw to our every need. Luckily, the weather held up for us so the entire evening couldn't have been more perfect. The food was wonderful, the service was impeccable and the chef even came outside to make sure that we loved everything. How many places can you go and get this kind of attention?

We checked into a beautiful room, overlooking the lake and had a very comfortable stay that night. Next morning, we had a great breakfast and went to the spa for a couple's massage...WOW! The staff was wonderful everywhere we went. From check-in to the restaurant, the spa and the front desk again at check-out. We were both just blown away.

My girlfriend is now my fiancee, by the way. We are talking to the sales department about holding our wedding there later this year. We are also going to try and get there in the summer when we can have time to golf and go out on the lake.

If you are looking for a romantic getaway...this is the place. I've stayed at several hotels and resorts over the last decade and it just doesn't get any better than The Cliffs.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at The Cliffs Resort as part of a package that I recieved for touring property with them. It was absolutely amazing and had a breathtaking view of the lake! The staff was very knowledgable and helpful. Particularly a Mr. Harper ,which I believe is the General Manager? He was very courteous. We ended up purchasing property with them because we were so impressed with the hotel and the layout of the resort. Now we come up every weekend with friends so they can experience the resort and potentially purchase for themselves!! I highly recommend staying at The Cliffs Resort whether for business, pleasure or a family vacation!

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The Cliffs "Resort" and I do use quotations marks because it's quite a stretch to call this place a resort, was barely more than a 2 star motel or church camp. When we first checked in we were given our keys and were quite shocked at the plain, stripped down room. Quilts, cheesey furniture, nothing special at all. More like a low end chain motel than a resort. When I asked the front desk if all of their rooms looked like that, they showed me the "suite", which wasn't a suite, but just a little nicer room. This of course would cost me an additional $70.00 per night, but considering my wife and kids, I instantly upgraded. I don't mind carrying my bags, but why would you make your entrance to one of your buildings with stairs when almost everyone has rolling luggage? Either way, no elevator in the building either so be ready to carry your bags up a flight of stairs. As for kids, don't take them to this place. Nothing to do other than go out on the lake, which we did, and play golf. The service was fine, however there is nothing to eat other than at the restaruant. And when they are closed you are out of luck. Whataburger is down the road about 3 or 4 miles, but it closes early on Tuesday and Wednesday. Granted, some of this is our fault for not checking further into this, but sorry, I'm thinking that this is a resort and from where I've stayed most resorts have food, activities, a staff, even a pool that you don't have to drive to. Yes the pool is there, but it's not by the inn, you can walk, but with 3 kids, footballs, towels, floats etc... you better drive to the pool. Deer and wildlife are everywhere and it is beautiful, unfortunately, the cliffs didn't do anything to make that happen, it was already there. One more thing, we did get sick while there, which probably skews our perspective somewhat and it's not their fault, however unless you carry your own otc pharmacy, be prepared to drive a little bit to find a place that can help you out.

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank gopherboyDallas
Reviewed June 12, 2008

This is the review that I sent the company regarding the service we received this past weekend.. While the golf course is amazing I agree with others that the pool is too cold, there is nothing for a non golfer to do. We were also disappointed that the condo didn't have anything but a mini fridge and a microwave. Cups and glasses were supplied but no plates or silverware. If I'm going to drive that far out of town for a weekend get away with the sweetheart and his son we'll go back to White Bluff in Whitney. They treat their guests MUCH BETTER!!! In their condo we had an actual kitchen so that we could cook in if we wanted to or we could go to the restaurant. I would highly recommend their condos on the driving range!!!

On Friday evening June 6th we arrived at the Chaparral restaurant for our 9 pm reservation.

We had made reservations earlier that day and when my boyfriend (and a property owner at White Bluffs) Dave asked them if that would be a problem he was assured that it would be fine.

When we arrived for dinner the telephone was ringing off the wall, and there wasn’t anyone at the podium to help us. Several of the waitresses looked our direction and did nothing…they just kept walking.

We waited....and the phone kept ringing.

I went to the ladies room while Dave kept waiting. When I came back no one had acknowledged us yet. Dave (still waiting to be acknowledged) went to the bar and ordered us a couple of drinks. At that point we seated ourselves at a table outside.

More wait staff walked by, looked our direction and didn't acknowledge us. We waited……..

After several more minutes of waiting I went to see if I could find a manager. I stopped 3 waitresses. The first two blew me off and kept walking. The third one actually stopped moving and I asked to speak to the manager. She paused long enough to tell me that the manager had gone home for the night. When I told her that we had been waiting...at this point over 15 minutes to be seated or even waited on she made it clear that she was too busy to wait on us.

FINALLY Tommy the bartender came over to see what was going on. I told him that we had a reservation for 9 pm and that we were STILL WAITING.

He told the waitress that he would wait on us. A few minutes after the bartender waited on us there was a table of 7 golfers that were seated near us.

I found it interesting that THEY didn’t have to wait to be acknowledged, THEY didn’t have to wait to get menus, THEY didn’t have to wait for anything. They had waitresses all over them. One waitress was taking their order and another one was standing there holding the menus. Before we left I asked for a business card for the manager. I had to ask several times but Tommy did finally provide me with one before we left.

The next day, after a full round of golf, we went to have dinner. We didn’t make a reservation this time because, well frankly, it just didn’t seem to matter to your staff if you had one or not. When we arrived the Manager was standing at the front. It was 6 or 6:30 at this point. We TRIED to talk to him about the previous night’s nightmare dining experience, he cut us off and told us in his most arrogant haughty manner “my bartender told me he took care of you, you didn’t have to wait that long”. Ok, fine. We see now where the staff is getting their attitude issues. We inquired what the wait would be for dinner, He informed us that they only seat 25 people at a time and he didn’t have anything open until after 9 pm. We told him fine. We don’t need to have the buffet. (In all honesty I’ve seen better buffets ESPECIALLY for that price) We asked if we could just sit in the bar and get something light to eat there or something to go. He informed us that the kitchen wouldn’t be available for anything but the buffet that night. Needless to say, I was shocked. Here we are in the middle of nowhere, this is the ONLY restaurant for MILES and we are being told BY THE RESTAURANT MANAGER that he can’t serve us when there are 4 waitresses standing around and a good third of the place was empty…inside and out! I’m sorry but just WHERE is the customer service at this place? Everything at the resort is great EXCEPT for your bar and grill. The whole food & beverage aspect of the facility is poorly managed and your staff has an attitude that is completely unacceptable! Any worthwhile manager would have made SOME attempt to make things right for the ---- poor service we received on Friday night. It’s not like we had a party of 8 there were only 3 of us…and one was a kid. I am just baffled that for such a high end resort that you would tolerate that kind of behavior from your staff.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank Sharpiegirl
Reviewed May 15, 2008

The view was beautiful!!!!! Everything you would expect and more. Great only if you are there for golf, spa and view. Nothing out there, but that is why my husband and I went. Balcony with lakeside view amazing! Loud AC when it pops on, bring a fan or noise machine, no problem for us since we did. Restaurant was okay, but the view was amazing. A bit pricey for the avg. Would recommend for a nice getaway!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank justhavinfun08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graford
Wildcatter Ranch
Best Western Club House Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Graham
Best Western Plus Graham Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mineral Wells

Been to The Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!