“What a Gem!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Gonzales B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“What a Gem!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Spent two months in the Hill Country, and my spur of the moment trip to Gonzales was a highlight, thanks in part to my stay here. Michelle is a sweetheart. I have stayed at several B&B's from the east to the west coast, and this was by far the most elegant. I felt like I was Royalty! Both by the furnishings and the hospitality. Excellent breakfast, loved the Quiche! From sipping wine on the Veranda to the chandelier in the bathroom, it was quite an experience, one I hope to repeat. Michelle even made a reservation for me to take a driving tour with a local history buff. Thanks so much Paul! Oh, did I mention, this cost less than the local motels??

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TucsonDesertwillow
mlondon278, Innkeeper at Belle Oaks Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We're so glad you found us and were able to spend some time with us during your getaway! It was a pleasure, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Michelle London
Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
phelan
Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you like old fashion Texas hospitality, then you will live Belle Oaks Inn. What a wonderful place to stay in. Great food and helpful Innkeeper (Michelle). We would stay here again. The room we stayed in was clean and beautiful. The grounds where perfect. We also had a great tour of Gonzales arranged by Michelle. I would recommend it. Thank you Michelle for an excellent breakfast and all the help (places to eat and the tour).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
mlondon278, Manager at Belle Oaks Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you again! Paul's tour is a definite must, and we're glad you had the opportunity to take advantage of his vast knowledge of the area. Come back and see us again soon! -- Michelle London, Innkeeper
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Owner Richard and Innkeeper Michelle provide an outstanding B&B experience. The decor inside the mansion is nonpareil. Every attention to detail is paid in every room, from the exquisite china, silver & crystal in the opulent dining room to the authentic period antiques and accessories in the bedrooms. Stay in the Riata room if your husband does not like frilly stuff! The grounds are so beautiful--we didn't realize they had a pool for guests in the back until we arrived. Richard is extremely knowledgeable of local history and put us on to a private (and free) guided tour of the history from local volunteer Paul. We were on a Texas Independence History Tour, so this was an unexpected delight! We've spent time in many small Texas towns and B&Bs, and Gonzalez and the Belle Oaks is our new hands-down favorite! More and better preserved historic homes than McKinney or Jefferson.

Room Tip: Riata Room is very masculine and perfect for a B&B-phobe.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mlondon278, Innkeeper at Belle Oaks Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you again soon. Paul's tour is definitely a must if you are interested in Texas history!

Michelle London
Innkeeper
Belle Oaks Inn
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Fabulous B&B. Real luxury. Great rooms and maximum amenities. Lovely grounds with pool and fountains and delicious breakfast. Connection to a local tour guide if you like history and historic homes. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Jana5banana
Thank you so much for allowing us to be your hosts during your visit to Gonzales. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My feedback is somewhat overdue: I'm writing this comment a year after I stayed at Belle Oaks Inn. I was looking on TripAdvisor for information about bed and breakfast properties in another city, was reminded of my enjoyable stay in Gonzales, and I decided to go ahead and submit this now.

In a nutshell: I thoroughly enjoyed my 2011 stay at Belle Oaks Inn. I stayed only one night -- not planned in advance -- during a drive back to Houston.

I called the inn late on a weekday afternoon, and Michelle was very helpful in telling me about the available room in the Carriage House and reserving it for me for that night. On my way to the inn, I drove around the courthouse square and was pleased to see a new restaurant/bar (Running M Bar & Grill) had opened in the old hardware store spot next to the Lynn Theater. Gonzales is a city I've known my entire life, thanks to a couple of generations of family members who used to live there; I always like returning and seeing that new businesses have opened.

Anyway, when I checked in at Belle Oaks Inn, both Michelle and her husband Mark were there to greet me. Before heading to my room, I asked Michelle if she'd tried the new restaurant. She said she hadn't, but would soon. A couple of hours later, much to my surprise I ran into Michelle and Mark at Running M. I was by myself, and they invited me to join them at their table. I appreciated their hospitality and enjoyed visiting with them.

I really can't think of anything that I would have preferred to have been different about my Belle Oaks stay. From the quality of the room, including choice and upkeep of furnishings, and overall look and maintenance of the property; to availability of wifi service; the bountiful, well-presented breakfast served the next morning; and the unexpected (and very tasty) cookie left for me that night on the nightstand -- I give all high marks. I noticed one minor item that could've used a little attention, but did not affect my stay: while the Carriage House shower was running, some water still flowed out of the tub faucet below it. (It was a greater amount of water than I usually see flowing from tub faucets while showering, so it seemed like it could be wasting a bit of water. I'm all for efficiency!) Given the attention to detail regarding everything at Belle Oaks, the shower/tub faucet probably was tweaked shortly after I left!

Special tips: If you're a fan of quiche, be sure to try the quiche served at breakfast, if it's available while you're there. And if you have time and the weather's good, stroll around the grounds and/or sit on the porch.

Actually, there IS one thing about my stay that I would have preferred to have been different: I wish my schedule would've allowed me to stay longer!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Molly B
Hempstead, Texas
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Have to park on street. Front door very hard to unlock. Room was filled, no surface area to put anything. Toilet ran all night. Bathroom needed updating. Burned out lights. Old thin towels. Poor lighting. Had to leave window open for air. Tall ceilings with dusty curtains. If you have allergies, beware. Bed was comfy, but not sure if anything gets cleaned except the sheets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank VTheWhite
hillecw, Owner at Belle Oaks Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
The guest stayed in January 2012 and did not write the review until November. Meeting our guests expectations is very important to us so we looked into the matter further. It has become clear that the negative review is in response to us not extending her a special cut rate deal she was trying to negotiate by implying affiliation with a group who has people stay in town on a regular basis. With regards to the condition of the room, the bathroom had been recently renovated with new fixtures and high end wallpaper. There is a separate table specifically for guests belongings. We pride ourselves on top of the line Ralph Lauren towels which are updated frequently. The room has four lamps which provide ample lighting and the bathroom has recessed lights. Bulbs are checked daily. Rooms are thoroughly cleaned after every guest. I can't apologize for tall ceilings or on street parking. These are very typical of historic properties in residential neighborhoods. We regret we were not infomed about other complanints and given the opportunity to correct them. We are taking the underlying purpose of the review into consideration and will stake our reputation on the other 21 very positive reviews posted on Trip Advisor and literally hundreds of pages of glowing accolades in our guest books. 110% satisfaction is our goal!
Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Belle Oaks Inn was my first Bed & Breakfast experience. Boy, did I pick the perfect place for my first one! You almost feel like you are living back in 1912 when you first drive up to the house & walk through the doors. I didn't know where to look first. Everywhere I looked was something beautiful & interesting. We were greeted by Michelle and she took us on a mini tour of the house first, before taking us to our room. We stayed in the Riata room. It was just beautiful. Everything was in there we could possibly have needed. If I had to name one thing I would change, it would be to have a queen mattress instead of a full tester, as they call it. It was still comfortable though. The outside grounds were just as beautiful...quiet & peaceful. The pecan orange bread Michelle made for breakfast one morning was out of this world! It just melted in your mouth! I would love to go back for another stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple