“Transported in Time”

Ranked #1 of 4 Gonzales B&B and Inns
Larchmont, New York
“Transported in Time”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I went Gonzales, Texas to explore the town where my great ancestors settled in the 1850. I chose Belle Oaks Inn because I didn't want to go for a sterile hard bed and foam pillow at the local cheap chain hotel. Boy, was I glad I did. When you walk in you are overwhelmed by the decor: lots of antlers, taxidermy, silver, crystal punch bowls, gorgeous dark woods and rugs on top of rugs. Let's just if you're not into living like a cattle baron from the 1850s, this isn't for you! But if you want to try that it is almost a movie set. The restoration of this huge pillared plantation house is pristine and beautiful and makes you feel like you are living the life it was built for. (I wish I had brought my hoop skirt!) Sometimes these cluttered environments can have a musty odor (I have a problem with musty smells) but there is not a smell about the place. The beds are four postered and so comfortable I slept way beyond my alarm. And the home-made breakfast pastries are dangerous for your diet (they even leave a freshly baked cookie by your bed at night!). I especially loved waking up to the sound of a local rooster and feeling like I lived in Gonzales afterall. Cozy, comfortable and way OTT (over the top).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I had just ridden 65 miles on my bicycle that day. After a few days camping in the State Parks, which are nice in their own right, I was ready for a soft bed and hot shower. The best luck I had that day was finding out that all the motels in town were full. That stroke of luck led me to Belle Oaks, a Gonzales gem I wouldn't have found otherwise. Quite literally, THE nicest place I've ever stayed. A historic mansion, with beautifully maintained lawns and gardens surrounding the property. Each room has its own unique details, yet the whole house has a seemless feel. Oh my goodness. Is that a chewy oatmeal cookie for me to enjoy? What haven't they thought of? A very luxurious and relaxing atmosphere. I only wish I'd been able to stay longer. I fell very much in love with Belle Oaks. The price was extremely reasonable given that I would have paid slightly more to stay at one of the town's chain motels. And they were able to accommodate me at the last minute which I greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Riata room and loved it!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2010

The moment you drive into the circular drive you know you are in for a wonderful stay & adventure. The beautiful old Southern Mansion & the manicured lawns welcome you. As you walk up the steps of the circular porch you have the feel of stepping back in time to the gracious Southern hospitality & beauty. You are greeted by Richard Tiller who welcomes you into the home & he offers you a refreshing drink and gives you a tour of the home, gardens & pool. After showing you to your suite he offers advice for your stay in Gonzales & surrounding areas.

The owners of Belle Oaks Inn are Richard Tiller & Clinton Hille and they make your visit all you want it to be (letting you decide your pace & the amount of time you want to adventure). They are charming host with an abundance of knowledge & history of the area. They make you feel at home, comfortable & at ease. A true Southern experience with all of the grandeur of Texas hospitality.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank casshaeck
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2010

There was nothing we could have wished for that wasn't incredible and beyond our expectations!! It was simply extraordinary! And the hosts, Richard and Clint , were the most warm and gracious and accommodating hosts I've ever encountered, in homes of friends or in B & B's. We honestly felt like we had visited family members!! Simply AWESOME!! THUMBS UP!! On a scale of 1 - 10 - they get at least an 11 PLUS! We are planning another trip back.. and taking more friends. One of the most relaxing and enjoyable weekend getaway experiences of my life!! Over the top wonderful!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank asiansue
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Richard and Clint were wonderful hosts! We stayed in the Carriage House which is just a few steps from the main house. The room was lovely! It was a fantastic way to spend the New Year!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EJnAustin
Reviewed August 15, 2008

The hosts were more than accomodating and the breakfasts were fabulous! The pool was a great place to get away from the heat and relax a bit.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank dwoo11
Reviewed August 14, 2008

A beautiful property, where you can relax and be pampered. Add to it the fun, knowledgable and outgoing personalities of the hosts, you're in for a real treat. I've gone to the Belle Oaks for the last 4 years, making sure it's part of my summer plans for a weekend retreat.

• Liked — the hosts
  • Disliked — I had to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ScouterAustin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gonzales
The Dilworth Inn & Suites
Best Western Regency Inn & Suites
Black Gold Inn
Black Gold Inn
#1 of 5 in Yoakum

Been to Belle Oaks Inn? Share your experiences!