“Long Weekend!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rough Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Rose
Rough Creek Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Glen Rose
“Long Weekend!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

Our trip to Rough Creek Lodge was over the Memorial Day weekend. My husband and myself have enjoyed going to Rough Creek for a few years now. The food is fantastic. You must try the grilled Texas quail…unbelievable! The breakfast the next morning was also amazing.

Rough Creek has added many, many different amenities for their guests to enjoy. The only problem with all the activities and things to do, there is obviously not an adequate staff to have every activity operational. I believe that we paid a $30.00 per person resort fee that was a part of our package and we were continuously told by a lady in the Beretta Room that the activities that we were wanting to do were not available. It almost seems that the schedule they offer keeps the “complementary” activities (it is not “complementary”, you have to pay the resort fee) at the most inconvenient times in regards to their check-in and check-out policy.

The quality of the staff at Rough Creek has diminished since our first stay around the entire property. The one exception to this was the young man at the front desk named Scott. His appearance is impeccable, perfectly pressed from head to toe. He has been at the front desk for several years now and he knows how to take care of guests. As I mentioned, we were at Rough Creek over the Memorial Day weekend and the hotel, as expected, was extremely busy. When ever we would pass by his desk, he would always greet us with a smile and say hello. When he was taking care of us, it seemed like we were the only people staying in the hotel. He has made every stay memorable, from complementary upgrades to having flowers ordered and delivered to the room that my husband requested as a surprise, to fixing our personal computer in our room at 11pm!. It is highly advised to seek out Scott while staying at Rough Creek. He will truly make your stay a memorable one.

We enjoy Rough Creek very much. We will be back as I heard they are offering summer specials.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank dbtx54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

I was a guest of a couple who were getting married at Rough Creek. The bride and groom picked up the costs of our rooms which I understand were about $350 per night. This area is the northern edge of the Texas hill country and is about a 2 hour drive southwest from Dallas. The staff was very helpful and professional.

When you turn off the road and onto the property you can't see the lodge and drive several miles south alongside pastures with long horn cattle and buffalo. The lodge was reportedly built in the late 1990's and construction is attractive and my room was well furnished and very clean. However, the view from my room was of a pile of construction debris, beyond which was the lake, and I wondered why a hotel with such a high price would allow debris to be piled up outside my room. The wedding group met for lunch alongside the adult pool, which is adjacent to the spa. This was good construction planning. The children's pool, trampoline and zip line setup are at the other end of the lodge. Other available activities are riding four wheelers ($100/hour), horseback riding ($80/hour) and shooting clay pigeons. I'm not sure what the later costs but a number of the wedding guests enjoyed it. For horseback riding you must drive to a stable about 5 miles away. Considering the prices of the rooms that surprised me.

After the outside wedding we went into the lodge to tables with our names on them for dinner. Evidently the lodge does not have a private dining room for these types of things so we were just some of the diners. There was a special menu for the wedding guests and the choices for appetizers, salads and entrees were good. I had foie grae, field greens salad with sliced strawberries and candied pecans, and skipped the dinner entree. After dinner the wedding cake was served on the stone terrace overlooking the lake and there was a band playing country western music for dancing.

I had a 30 minute massage at the spa for $60. There are some issues with this part of the hotel - the floor in the women's locker room and showering section was slick when wet, and even worse when wearing the pedicure type foot coverings provided to me. [LIABILITY ISSUE!] Also, I had to ask for a gentle facial cleanser to use in the shower as there weren't any on the counter. The counter did have other important items like spray antiperspirant and brushes and combs soaking in bactracide antiseptic. There are two sitting areas for relaxing before or after treatments, but half empty, used glasses sat for hours in those rooms when the staff could easily have swept through each every 15 minutes to pick them up and take them away. In addition, there were no ottomans in the larger of the lounging rooms. Some faux distressed leather ottomans would make the rooms more inviting. One plus was the selection of magazines - Fortune, the Robb Report, etc. As a business woman I get annoyed when areas for women are stocked with magazines like Good Housekeeping and People rather than business publications. A NY Times newspaper would be a great addition.

Given how extremely hot summers are in Texas, the gift shop could probably do a decent number of sales of sleeveless polo style shirts, v-neck t shirts. A Lodge emblem rain slicker might also sell well.

The room rates seem high given that this property is located in the country where there are few other things to do and that the most popular activities have significant prices. The food was good and buffet breakfast is included in the room price.

If the room rates weren't so high I'd have rated it "above average."

• Liked — courtesy of the staff and the cleanliness and furnishings of my room
  • Disliked — construction debris, cost of activities like spa treatments & horseback riding, spa lounge area
  • Stayed May 2008
2 Thank LouiesMom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2008

My husband and I are from Dallas and we wanted to get away for a long weekend for our Anniversary. For what it cost us we could have spent a couple of hundred more and gone to a 5 star all inclusive resort in Mexico. At the RCL the food was fabulous, but the cost of the room and what activities included is a joke. The RCL is not worth your money…go for dinner, but stay somewhere else.

• Liked — Out in the middle of no where
  • Disliked — Cost of the room per night per guest
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DFWtraveler247
burleson,tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

I am from the DFW area (Dallas Fort Worth). My anniversary was the 18th, done all the places in our area..wanted to try something new. SO>>>>> I've heard about Rough Creek, decided to give it a whirl. Here's my experience.
On the phone with the Lodge, I was told that dinner was $75 per person ++ a 20% automatic gratuity, ok..no prob. This is a 3 course meal, appetizer...main course...and dessert. The menu for those who stay at the hotel is the same as for those who come just to eat. A king room suite was $269 per person, plus your typical taxes and resort fee...this included dinner and breakfast. I'm familiar with the Glen Rose area and if you are not, be sure you definately read the directions at their website, if I had not..I think I would have turned around and went home at least 3 times. Glen Rose is famous for Dinosaur Park, Fossil Rim wildlife park...and OH YEAH!!!>..a nuclear power plant that is fully operational... Driving West on Hwy 67 from Dallas through the town of Glen Rose you will see a stellar golf course on the right then on through town you must go about another 10 miles ... here's your catch, look for a mini rest stop on the right..then begin to slow down..because the sign is not that big (on the right) with arrow pointing left...and when I say pointing left...I mean TURN NOW!!!! at the top of a small bluff... it is a farm to market road...so not that well noticeable... and you have ZERO warning..except for the sign.... after turning left..you will go about 4 miles..thru sagebrush, cactus, and prairie...until you come to a HUGE entrance on the right that marks the gate to Rough Creek Ranch. After turning right.... <~here's where the fun begins....you have just over a mile of ultra....and i mean ULTRA narrow road that leads up to the lodge. You will go thru at least 3 low water spots...so if it's pouring down rain...don't even think about passing. Once you've made it to the lodge.... it's very rustic..very quiet...and almost anti-climactic. We went in...registered... and went to our rooms... great rustic view...did I mention it was quiet? ....Well....anyway...we dressed for dinner... <~this is NOT necessary...I was WAY WAY out of place with a sport coat. Jeans and shirt would have done. The food was impeccable. Very unique combination of items on the menu. We started off with a nice bottle of cabernet..they have a fair selection of wines. We opted for the Trefethen...can't hardly go wrong with any of Janet Trefethens wines.I opted for the foie gras with potato ravioli....was cooked to perfection. Wife had a salad that was roasted. Had sun dried tomatoes, parmesan, and I believe pine nuts.... she said that it was the best salad of her life. Main course, she opted for the filet...I decided on the 18oz bone in prime ribeye <~20% surcharge for this steak... the meat was more tender than I would have expected. BUT>..they use mesquite wood..and the mesquite flavor nearly overpowered the steak. Dessert was simple ..yet elegant. Wife opted for the nanner pudding <~Elvis thing...anyway..it was served in a phillo dough that was lined with bananas..then the pudding was on top....and it was served similar to a creme brulee... I opted for the chocolate dessert.... which had a chocolate covered pecan, choco strawberry, and choco cake with icecream... Choco lovers dream dessert. Topped it off with a sniffer of 150 grand marnier.... my nite was complete. We walked around...expecting a rattlesnake to jump out of the bushes at any moment ...OHHH...did I mention it was REAL quiet there? Anyway... beyond the lights from the lodge...it is PITCH BLACK after you wander more than 50 yards from the lodge. Sorry..but we didn't stay for the breakfast..but heard it was typical Texas fair.... eggs..taters... swine.... and firepit coffee. We live just south of Ft Worth..and it took me nearly an hour to drive home. From the Airport...I would expect at least 1 1/2 hour drive...IF you knew where you were going... closer to 2 hours I would expect. Glad we went there..was a "new" experience for us both... might just take some friends... take a leisurely drive there and have dinner one nite.

• Liked — It's in the BOONIES!
  • Disliked — It's in the BOONIES!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dougkojak
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2007

Look, if you are looking for a supposedly" Top Five" or "best Place" as advertised, don't come.

The Grounds are fine don't get me wrong there, but the staff is terrible, the prices are outrageous, and its food is good but not 5 Star!

Getting Reservations, the wedding coordinator learned from our first conversation with her that we were staying 2 nights, She gets us ONE! The week before wedding we have to scratch out one more night of a packed house. They have a staff wedding planner! I wouldn't be surprised if they insist on the couple using her.

Our first day my wife arrives, they take her bag, she gets our room etc. She meets with WEDDING PARTY has a chat, goes to room to get dressed for rehearsal dinner with more than two hours.

Her bag was not there when she got to her her room and called the Front Desk. They did not know where it was! Ok so they go try to find it and say Manager will call her RIGHT back. Thirty minutes later still no call, Wife calls them...same story..will call right back...Wife asks for room service to bring a corkscrew for the gift wine from the couple while waiting. Fifteen minutes later no cork screw She calls again...same story..starts calling me starting to get anxious about getting ready for wedding rehearsal..needs shower, its humid, she's sweaty...you can imagine Texas in July!

I get second and third calls, now I am really wondering how big this place is that they can't get the service. (It was only about two hundred if that)

Wife gets bag 13 minutes before the event starts. It takes 5 minutes atleast to get over to chapel. That leaves her 7 minutes to...forget the shower, make up, hair, etc. put clothes on. Oh as a consolation though they did bring the much needed cork screw. She couldn't open it though, no time!

I asked the Manager when I got to the event later to comp the room for us. I explained to him at the RITZ in MIami had done so for having a mistake in reservation which they fixed even so.

No, he lied and said he got it to her hours ago...he hand delivered it even...I had the full attention of the whole staff and guests around by then and decided to take it up at the end of the stay..(no dice.)

The wife settled down everything went alright. The staff were top to bottom not resort quality. They were the local high school kids on summer break. The pool at resorts I have seen have been a few steps above the local neighborhood pool. The boat motor I tried to use didn't work when I went fishing and a few other things I am sure I left out, but that was the majority of the episode. That was enough though I think.

Final episode of service mastery was when, as I mentioned earlier, tried to get compensated on the back side of the stay. We got eye rolls, arguement, nasty tones, etc and finally one hundred dollars off the stay! Our 20% tip was $200 +! This was given only only the authorization of the WEDDING PLANNER! What a place, if the management gives that responsibility to the wedding planner, not front desk staff!

I just cannot believe it, and will be writing bad reviews on every chance I get.

• Liked — beautiful setting, room,
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank Cazadoresfour
fort worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

We stayed at Rough Creek this past weekend. It was great, the food and atmosphere were perfect. Service was good/excellent except for a few misses ( They forgot that we ordered Bailey's with our coffee). The hostness couldn't answer some of the basic questions (is there a restroom at the pool, hoW much is breakfast) Overall, a great place to go to relax and have some fun. We will return.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Rockwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

Food was excellent, accomodations lovely. Staff not consistent with pricing information. Pricey for what you get. Great for the man who loves to hunt and wife who wants nice accomodations and spa treatments. Resort is out in the middle of country, with many other attractions nearby.
Dallas

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — Additional add on pricing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
La Quinta Inn & Suites Glen Rose
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#7 of 8 in Glen Rose

Been to Rough Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!