“Overpriced, poor hunting, everything has a fee”
Review of Rough Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Rose
Rough Creek Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Glen Rose
Dallas
“Overpriced, poor hunting, everything has a fee”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Significantly overpriced for the value, terrible hunting. Booked a father, son, grandfather weekend for some hog/varmint hunting. Was told one hunt price for up to three people, turns out it was a per person price. Staff also failed to inform us at check in that there is a 21% gratuity added to everything – and believe me, nothing is missed. Ended up double tipping all weekend and did not find out until bill was provided. When I told the desk clerk this was news to me, she told me somewhat haughtily that I should have checked the activities list I was provided at check in – it was made clear on that sheet. For the record, 1 - she never mentioned that I should review it at check in – I have an excellent memory, 2- I was already fully booked for the weekend and was not looking for other activities so did not naturally look for the page and 3- the information about the gratuities was on a piece of paper thrown in a brown bag with a plastic water bottle and a small bag of skittles – not the sort of place I tend to check for vital information about the cost of my stay. This bag sat untouched on a counter in our room for the duration of our stay. I hope the maid enjoyed the skittles, I certainly did not enjoy several hundred dollars worth of “service charges” added onto my bill.
Hog hunting was terrible. Guide first night told us one good spot but he lost out to another guide - made us feel great. Sat in one place for 2 hours. Guide not inclined to try anything else and packed it in. Second night, staff moved up our hunt and we had to miss our dinner reservation - once again for nothing. Second guide tried very hard for us but found absolutely nothing. If you want to hunt hogs, suggest you go somewhere you might find some. To add insult to injury, after getting back late from the hunt and missing dinner, was given the privilege of paying $40 (complete with 21% “service charge” of course) for three turkey sandwiches – amazing. Dinner cost is included as part of the room charge for those who are unaware – this made it particularly irritating
At check out, when I had issues with the bill – both the cost of the hunt and the several hundred dollars’ worth of “service charges”, with a manager present who feigned interest, I was sent back to the gun room to talk the staff there and then had to come back to check out. There is a significant lack of leadership and management oversight at this facility. It appears they are very much geared to corporate groups and regular people like us are around to fill in the cracks. To highlight this, we had a couple timing requests for meals to accommodate very fully priced trap, rifle range or hunting activities and the restaurant scheduler was completely put out because she had corporate groups who obviously were top of mind compared to our measly party of three.
To be fair, we found the staff very courteous and the guides very respectful and helpful, even if challenged in the hunting abilities category. It looks like the GM will send some sort of high level note in response to all less than glowing reviews – there is really nothing that can be said about the facts of our stay – they are what they are and I hope others either avoid our mistakes or have a different experience. Would I take my wife away here for an overpriced weekend with very limited activities, I guess. Will I ever set foot on this property if I want to hunt, not in a million years.

Room Tip: Do not get anything with a room above you. Very poor sound insulation from people walking on wooden...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
23 Thank Kevin O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Midlothian, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We love to run over to Rough Creek for a quick getaway! My kids love the pool and slide, and we love how beautiful and relaxing it is...the food is unbelievable! I love how water is readily available all over the resort so I don't have to pack it up for my kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Rough Creek Lodge has seen better days. We have come there for 8 years and will not be back. The food is not as good as it used to be and the menu has not moved much over the years -- standard fare "jazzed up" to be more than it is. Also, the hunting is a rip off. We saw no turkeys nor did the other hunting groups going out. The person in charge of promoting and booking hunts is very disorganized and will charge a different amount than booked. Rooms and restaurant have not been updated over the years and things are just not as clean and neat as they once were. The staff is good but the service level does not fit the high $$$ price level.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank daneintx
Paul B, General Manager at Rough Creek Lodge, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest of Rough Creek Lodge,

RCL Management would like to respond to the recent comments on tripadvior.com We always welcome guest feedback regarding our services offered but would like to address a few topics.

Our hunting is an activity that thousands of people come to enjoy each year. Many of our guests are just like you and return year after year for deer, upland bird, duck, hog, turkey and varmint hunts. Each hunt is guided by our professionally trained hunting guides who are there to provide you with a safe 5-star experience. I apologize that a loyal guest such as yourself did not receive that one of a kind experience we strive to provide.

I also apologize for our rooms and service not meeting your standard. We know that when a guest chooses to come to Rough Creek Lodge that they are looking to receive excellent service and amenities. We hope that this one stay does not discourage you from returning and we hope to see you again soon!

Paul B.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed so many aspects of our stay.Many of us are absolute novices in the ways of hunting and fishing, etc., and I so much appreciate the gentle and hospitable way the staff showed all of us this kind of recreation. The activities offered are a perfect mix for children and adults -- but the tomahawk and archery were the clear favorite.

Everyone involved with the restaurant was spectacular. But every single staff member I encountered was well-mannered and professional.

I have travelled all over the world and the food at Rough Creek is absolutely as delicious in its unique way as anything I have eaten in Florence or Paris-- in particular the quail was juicy and tender and meaty, the seafood tostada fresh and tangy with tomatillo, the bruléed vanilla pudding in phyllo --unbelievable, the duck breast incredibly moist, the foie gras perfectly cooked, and of course the biscuits and gravy at breakfast were a highlight. And my nephew could not stop putting the fresh whipped cream on everything!

Our cabin was very comfortable, and exactly as promised on the website, temperature controlled and quiet, with very comfortable mattresses.

We left before the very busy weekend other reviewers are commenting about, and it could be that the resources were stretched for them. But that happens even at Disney.

Would I recommend the resort -- absolutely --
the signature quality of the experience -- hospitality

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I were here for the weekend and felt as though we are in the wrong place! The reviews were outstanding?? We believe RCL is an upscale Hunter's lodge; a place where hunters come and their wives tag along. PROS- The staff is very friendly, food is good. CONS - there is nothing to do!! And the activities they do offer arent worth the money! We did enjoy the simple things; bike riding, kite flying, s'mores, walking/biking - but those things are almost free at home!! We expect much more for the $1,800 weekend! We stayed in a cabin. The beds are SO soft, our backs were so sore the next day. The pools are freezing, the fun activities (ATVing, paintball, etc.) cost more money! It's just too expensive for what you get!!

Also, I, along with many other parents, didn't like how the staff put out baby ducks and chicks with no supervision. All day long, these poor babies are being held, dropped and thrown around by children. Pre-teen boys were being cruel; mishandling them and even putting them on their head allowing them to fall 4'. Young children were dropping them, and a couple baby ducks almost got stepped on b/c of a sibling fight!! I realize this is a hunting lodge and animals worth is probably not respected here, however, to some people it's plain irresponsible and mean!

• Stayed March 2013
11 Thank Texas1975
Dear Guest of Rough Creek Lodge,

We greatly appreciate you being our guest and thank you for the about feedback about your recent stay. RCL Management would like to respond to the recent comments on tripadvior.com. We always welcome guest feedback regarding our services offered, but would like to address a few topics.

Rough Creek Lodge is a hunting lodge that follows all rules and regulations of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. We take great pride in the services, amenities, activities, guest rooms, cabins, guest houses, and 5-star fine dining that we offer. Our goal as a lodge is to offer each guest a unique experience—one that will allow them to escape from their daily routines.

The ducklings are an amenity that we like to provide for the families to enjoy during the Easter holiday, and I can assure that all animals found at Rough Creek Lodge are well cared for with food, water, shelter and vet care. Most of our guests come from an urban environment that does not allow a child to be able to hold a duckling in their hands with their parents by their side to enjoy this unique experience. There is nothing greater than being able to see a child’s eyes gleam with excitement as they share this moment with their mom and dad.

A lot of our amenities are designed for individuals, couples, families, or large groups to step away from the ordinary and explore the great outdoors. Yes, you can bike ride in the city—but not like you can at Rough Creek Lodge! You can also fish on our 80 acre Mallard Lake, zip down our 675ft zip line, bounce on our bungee trampoline, enjoy an evening hayride, master your tomahawk throwing skills, launch rockets into the sky, relax in one of our 2 hot tubs, float around our lazy river and many more amenities! We also offer other activities for the more adventures type like hunting, paintball, horseback riding, mule ATM rentals, sporting clays, spotlight wildlife tour, teambuilding GPS, plus many more.

Our guest come here for the luxurious rooms and guest houses, 5-star fine dining, and many amenities, but even more than that they come here to be pampered by receiving top-notch service and VIP treatment. This is a place where people come to create long lasting memories—to grow as a family and for companies to become better teams and leaders.

Thank you again for choosing to stay at Rough Creek Lodge and we thank you for your feedback. I am, however, sorry that we did not meet some of your expectations. We are a company seeking to improve so that we are continually meeting the needs and expectations of our guest. We wish you the best in all of your traveling adventures!

Paul B.
Southlake, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It was my son's 13th birthday and he wanted to go hunting, where do you go hunting in Dallas.......Rough Creek Lodge. First of all, it's way out there isn't it? I was a little frazzled that we wouldn't make our dinner reservation time. However the staff was very friendly and met us outside to help us take things in quickly, I did notice that there wasn't staff outside at all times in the valet area? Checking in was easy, however, sometimes it was not as quick as you would like to ask the front desk something or to purchase something from the gift shop b/c there was a line and not two separate people there to help. Also not everyone we talked to on the phone was knowledgeable about your establishment and policies and procedures for everything that you could do at the ranch. Maybe a mandatory in-service should be provided beforehand, since you are only as good as who is answering your phone and the front desk.

When we were booking things it got a little crazy, I think you should be able to book everything with one person that way one hand knows what the other hand is doing. We were traveling with another family and wanted to book things together but have a separate tab right? Well it got a little complicated, when I called two days before our arrival, they only had 3 people on the Upland Hunt when we should've had 5, the lady I talked to was rude b/c it was after 5 and she wanted to leave, but I can't call during 9-5 hours since I'm at work. You should have someone able to book things after 5PM.

The rooms I think could have been a little bit more upscale for the price, but then again the cost of food was also included so I get it, however, it reminded me of Great Wolf Lodge where you are really paying for the amenities you get with the Lodge and not the room. : ) I was a little perturbed that you had to make reservations at lunch and dinner if you didn't want to have to wait for a table, I was thinking that you just needed more tables, but I think Saturday night was the only time I ever saw the restaurant completely full? Maybe make a separate dining hall for people who want to dine with their children and then keep the nice one for people who want to dine as adults.

The food was outstanding, in fact, I finally started ordering two appetizers and a dessert by Sunday Night. I didn't like the 3 night stay minimum, was that just for Spring Break? Both our husbands had to leave on Sunday so we stayed but it wasn't much fun without the whole family there. I think cocktail service could have been faster, when we would order a cocktail it would take forever is what it seemed. The waitstaff were attentive and very nice. They had a great selection of cocktails and wine, we didn't use room service while we were there so I can't comment on that. The welcome package was a very nice touch, loved the gingerbread cookie.

Our first day we got up early and the boys went on an Upland Hunt, they enjoyed themselves, got to bring some birds home and the staff went above and beyond to make it a fun day for the kids. The boys signed a waiver for them and the kids before the hunt. We met up again for lunch and then decided to enjoy all the amenities that you have to offer. We started at the rock wall, where we had to sign another waiver? Can I just say that waivers for everything you could possibly do at the Ranch should be signed when you check in and then maybe get an armband of some kind so the staff knows you are legit, they tried to get us to sign again at the archery and tomahawks. I understand safety and protocol, but it was very redundant. The rock wall goes slow there were 3 pulleys but only one guy manning the wall during Spring Break?? Really, at high volume time and on weekends you should have 3 people getting people up and down this thing so everyone can enjoy, our family of 6 took up the wall for almost 2 hours, several people came and wanted to participate but couldn't b/c there was only one rope. The kids loved the bungee trampoline but sadly the zipline was closed during our whole stay b/c of rain and wind. Also the Lazy River was closed b/c it was cold, however, at your price range the pool next to the spa or at least a hot tub should be heated for guests who want to do that or if you want to take your kid.

After Rock Climbing which was awesome and scary with that much wind, we headed over to the archery and tomahawks. There were lines for the tomahawks already so we did archery right quick, each of us took one turn with 4 arrows, 3 people went twice when they didn't hit anything and then we moved on so other people could have a turn, other people were not so nice. There were four tomahawk stations, two of which were taken up almost the whole time by the same group of guys who ended up betting. One of the staff had enough audacity to ask our group if we would let people who were waiting to throw tomahawks work into our line when these guys had been there the whole hour throwing without letting anyone else in line. I told your staff that maybe they should go tell the frat boys to move along, he said, "Well they are betting on it now", like that's supposed to make me understand that they need more time. Seriously, there are children waiting to throw a tomahawk and these frat boys with their beer and loud demeanor are hogging half the stations. Tell the staff to keep the lines moving so everyone gets to take a turn, that's their job. We each threw once set of tomahawks, then we let some people work in, and then the people who missed took one more turn and then we left.

Onto the petting zoo, it didn't take very long but the animals were cute and the baby goat made our day, he was hilarious. I've got great video of him just pouncing all over the pen. It was time for the train ride, we had 3 older boys so they rode it once around the helipad, almost as a joke and then we promptly made them get off to give the room to little kids who would actually enjoy it and not make fun of it, so thanks, we have embarrassing footage of them now to use in the future. Next was the hayride, we got on, and I saw deer corn, yay we get to feed deer!! Well it turns out that a lot of people wanted to get on the same hayride, we actually had one of your staff ask us if we would get off so other families could get on that had dinner reservations (we couldn't b/c we had to shower and change before our dinner reservations and then wouldn't have time for a hayride and then our husbands were leaving the next day so we had to do it then), he seemed perturbed, so I assessed the situation and told everyone to scoot in, we made plenty of room for everyone and we went on a hayride where we didn't feed any deer, but had a great time anyway.

Kids Club and eating was a problem for us, and it was our fault, we thought we knew what we were doing, however, we sent our kids to the club the second night to have dinner and play, we didn't realize dinner for the kids was in a separate place. We didn't find out until 9PM that they had not eaten, our reservations were for 6:30PM. We felt so bad, the staff went and got them and got them something to eat, but I guess I wish someone would have explained it better when we checked in, I think maybe that is how you feed the kids during the summer?

The second day we got up and rode ATV's, it was fun and the guide was fabulous, his ATV malfunctioned though, someone had to ride out another ATV to him so we could get back home, we were all two to a seat so we couldn't take him in. We also went Skeet shooting with him which was a lot of fun, took a long time with 6 of us though, but that's just the way it is.

On another note, our kids loved the see saws and the tree swings around the neighborhood, even the big kids. We as adults enjoyed the horseshoes and washers, we didn't try frisbee golf as it was so windy and we couldn't enjoy the back patio b/c of that, but I'm sure it's normally lovely. Also the boys weren't able to fish b/c of the wind but none of that is your fault. Also playing with the bunnies at the Baretta room was fun and the cute puppies they would put out for you to play with in the afternoon were a nice treat.

When it is cold outside like it was when we were there I would suggest that you serve hot cocoa with the cookies in the afternoon, the lemonade was good but not really the right temperature for the weather. I like that you can rent movies for the room.

I don't know if our stay was worth what we spent, however, I think if my son got to go deer hunting it would've been or if we were there during the summer when everything is open and it's not cold.

OMG, I almost forgot, we went to Fossil Rim as girls while the boys went Upland hunting, well I thought there would be a gas station in-between the two places (there wasn't), I came back to the Ranch on fumes, it was nice that you guys had gas we could purchase, they took my car, put in gas and brought it back to me. Very Nice.

1 Thank aynos76
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We truly enjoyed Rough Creek Lodge during Spring Break. We wanted to try something new
and looked at the website online. Everything looked great, but it was even better in person. It was pricey but when you look at what you get, and the options of activites that are bundled in your package, including fabulous food in the dining room. We felt we it was money well spent. We rented a cabin and loved everything about it. It had everything we needed and its the luxury way to go camping! Our kids loved the all the outdoor activites, and the food was amazing.... The staff was very service oriented, and was kind to find an item we had left and mail it back to us.

We climbed "Gun Mountain", hit the golf range, checked out game room and so much more. Our kids fav was breakfast buffet "vanilla bean pancakes!" Also, the petting zoo was the bomb... We will return for another "Great Escape!" Did I mention it is only an hour and half from Dallas! Thank you RCL staff!!!

Room Tip: We loved the Arrowhead cabin. They are spaced apart and 1/2 mile from the Lodge. Its quiet and pe...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Rose
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#7 of 8 in Glen Rose
Hilton Garden Inn Granbury

Been to Rough Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!