“Absolutely in love with this B&B”
Review of Country Woods Inn

Country Woods Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Glen Rose B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I can't say enough good things about the CWI, My whole family loved it..The animals were so sweet. Helen was such a wonderful person and the whole staff was so great! I could go on and on. The cabin was breath taking, the river was so lovely. every thing about this place made me feel alive! I really can't wait to come back again! My friends from California are even flying in again next year because they loved it so much! Thank you Helen. This trip was perfect!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We spent a couple of nights at Country Woods Inn during the week and were extremely surprised at the experience and fun involved! We had two small kids that absolutely loved being able to just run around and interact with the animals whenever they wanted. We hiked the trial, played in the river and just had a blast. Cooked out at night and had a campfire. What more could a family trip ask for. The actual accomodations were wonderful and very unique. Attention to detail was great. My husband and look forward to coming back on own to relax!

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Brought 4 kids (5 - 13 years old) to the Santa Fe rail car. We were a little leery of how we would occupy our time, as well as how we'd 'fit' into the accomodations. Going mostly off of TripAdvisor ratings, we booked on faith. The website, as noted in other reviews, does this place little justice. From the moment we pulled in, the kids were in heaven. Friendly barnyard animals greet you near the entrance, fully stocked spors equipment lockers promise to fill activity needs, and tether ball takes you back to the early eighties. The rail car's AC didn't work when we arrived, but one call to Helen and it was very quickly remedied.

The proximity to the river, the hiking trails, the square, fishing, the dinosaur sites, etc. are perfect. But we somehow spent more time playing checkers and tether ball, and swimming in the river than anything. We were a little disappointed that the rail car location doesn't allow camp fires or grilling, but we understood the need for fire safety that close to the woods. If that's a major consideration for you, then book a cabin closer to the barn. The very positive upside to the rail car is being all alone - so that can be looked at either way.

In sum, we were never even close to bored (except that perfect 'relaxed, swinging in a hammock under the trees' type of boredom), and the kids can't wait for our return trip.

One request to Helen: For our next visit - note that we're already planning it :-) - we'd love to have firewood and some roasting sticks for hot dogs and marshmallows near the campfire circles.

Room Tip: Call Helen for advice on which cabin/house to book. She's very honest and wants to make your tri...
1  Thank Sean C
Reviewed April 10, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay! My kids were excited to stay in a converted rail road car. There were old toys in the front. My youngest LOVED the old tricycle. We hiked the trails, found a hidden path to the river. Splashed and played there for hours. Fed the animals at the petting pens. Breakfast is served in an old barn! My kids loved eating and watching the animals. The kids enjoyed roasting marshmallows and hot dogs over a campfire. They had tons of fun, not even counting all the tours and day trips we did all around the area. We will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: We loved the Railroad car! It is away from everything, very quiet and peaceful.
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Rarely do you book a property sight unseen and without a personal recommendation and have that property not only meet but exceed your expectations. My family was in need of a place to celebrate my father's 80th birthday. We have a large family and needed to accomodate that group. This property was exactly that! We had the Main House which is well equipped and situated beautifully on the property backing up to the Paluxy River. As it was we had beautiful weather but had it rained the Main House could have easily accomodated our group indoors. The outdoor patio spaces and gazebo were wonderful. CWI had something for everyone in our group, ages 3-93. Beading and coloring pages for the kids at the barn, basketball, toddler play area, petting zoo and most importantly room to roam. The twentysomethings in our group were able to cross the river on a Saturday night and enjoy a little small town atmosphere while the "old" folks stayed behind talking about the good old days in the gazebo. Helen was a wonderful hostess and has really taken the time and made the effort to make this an amazing family getaway. She has literally opened her home to you and it was a treat to actually meet the girls whose pictures appeared on the walls in our home for the weekend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had a great time at the Country Woods Inn. My 2 year old son loved running about and interacting with the farm animals. Prairie Wing south was lovely and cozy and had the living room was just big enough for my son to play whilst my 7 month could practise crawling on the floor. Such attention to detail, picnic hamper, bird spotting guide, star gazers guide even a hair dryer! Felt really homely. great location with easy access to tourist haunts but the truth is with little ones you can have a lovely day just staying put. Plenty of space for the kids to run about and play. we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Went to Country Woods Inn to escape the craziness that is my life in Dallas.
My two dachshunds and I went for three nights and it was so peaceful and relaxing. Since i was staying during the week, I had the entire inn to myself and it was such a relaxing and peacful few days. Plan to bring my family sometime and I also plan another solo visit to relax and meditate.
Thanks Helen for a glorious place.
Bevdea