“WOW!”

Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Glen Rose
More attraction details
Owner description: Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is where Africa comes to Texas. Our 1,800-acre preserve holds a 9.5 mile scenic drive where you can interact with over 1,100 rare and endangered animals roaming free in their herds. Stay in your car, reserve your spot on a guided tour, or even spend a night at our Safari Camp or Lodge to see over 50 different species of wild animals including cheetahs, wolves, giraffes, rhinos and more. The delicious food at The Overlook Cafe is paired with an incredible view overlooking the park and our gift shop offers souvenirs to take home to family and friends. While Fossil Rim is sure to provide a unique experience and exciting adventure, we are dedicated to the conservation of species on the brink of extinction. Fossil Rim conducts scientific research, trains professionals, responsibly manages our natural resources and is committed to public education. We are a not-for-profit breeding center dedicated to the recovery of species in the wild and we invite you to join us in our efforts. Grab your camera and head this way for the scenic wildlife drive you won't forget. Located in Glen Rose, Texas, we are just 52 miles SW of Fort Worth and well worth a visit for people of all ages!
Dallas, TX
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“WOW!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Fossil Rim! I was amazed at how nice it was - even after reading all the positive reviews. It was a slow ride through awesome scenery. When we were almost done with the drive, my grandaughter said that she wanted to do it all again. We all hated for it to end. The gift shop had some great finds. The cafe was delicious! - I enjoyed my hamburger and fries. We ate outside with a gorgeous view! I am ready to go back anytime.

Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Texas, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I guess we weren't sure what to expect but decided to go anyway! WOW! What a great place! It was me, husband, 85 & 90 yr old parents and 28 yr old daughter and we ALL loved it! Very well done, pretty scenery! Definitely would go again!!!

Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ostrich Wanted: Theft of Bag of Pellets; Littering”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

After driving through several very cute, quaint small towns dotted down 67...Alvarado...Venus...Cleburne... then Glen Rose, we pulled into the city

and began to get excited as we passed the Dinosaur Valley sign, then...Fossil Rim Wildlife Preserve was on the horizon! This is the kind of thing you think is only for kids, you're too cool to think this is fun...yada yada shaddup.

Likely going down as one of my best dates ever.

It was super fun, the wildlife was wild and beautiful and at times hilarious. There was a scary cheetah...but I was only scared for whatever was making him pace.. Little tip, take a vehicle that is not, I repeat, not, low to the ground, as a general rule, you might want to be sure you have about seven inches of clearance. The road through the place in some places does not exist and there are massive potholes in some places that surprise you because you're looking at animals..not the road, then bam! Drink in your lap.

My Kia Soul was perfect for the trip, the animals could stick their head in the car comfortably... This, if done right, is a day trip if you take your time, an insane amount of pictures and stop at the halfway point for a burger.

There are a lot of deer, and those guys are everywhere and roam freely. Some of them will congregate and you will feel bad and want to feed them all. We bought one bag of pellets and were generous but had to be a little less so on the second half of the tour..so you might get two bags...just so you can give to every four legged friend you see. I took about 20-300 pictures, the trip from Dallas, leisurely through the tour, and back again took all told about seven hours with about an hour spent in the halfway point looking through the gift shop and having some lunch. I saw another review before we took the trip that was within a few weeks that made me a little hesitant but it was a beautiful day and the animals were everywhere and we had to use our Wildlife for Dummies guide (read: pictographic brochure they give you in the office) a bunch.

Another tip, for the price of 1 vehicle ($56) you can buy a membership that allows you to see several different attractions, I would recommend that, as it seems a better value for the money.

All told, it was a beautiful day, it wasn't too hot, it was fun and extremely memorable...near the end of the tour there's an ostrich that looks like he'd hold you hostage for your grub...this is the guy that my date shook the bag of pellets at and he stuck his head in the car (right past me OMG!!!) and stole the bag, dumped it on the ground and was busy eating as we pulled away, laughing hysterically.

Oklahoma
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We enjoyed the drive. Took about two hours to see the whole park. Bag of feed was kind of pricey at $8.50, but it's a must have to fully enjoy the park.

Katy, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A long walk with good sights”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A 30 minute walk takes you around all the dinosaur exhibits that have information plaques in front. Only problem was the 100+ heat that accompanies the summer vacation time. Best part for the kids was the fossil dig in which they get to keep 3 times collected.

Visited August 2013