“Dinosaur Valley - a great day trip from the DFW metroplex”

Dinosaur Valley State Park
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Glen Rose
More attraction details
Owner description: Search for dinosaur footprints at this state park located along the Paluxy River.
Fort Worth, TX
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Dinosaur Valley - a great day trip from the DFW metroplex”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We recently took our four kids (ages 7,5,3,2) and adult visitors from the midwest for a day trip. Our expectations were modest given it is a state park and as everyone knows our parks systems have very constrained budgets right now.

To sum it up - everyone had a blast. We went on a 105 F degree in mid-August. We all wore swimsuits under our clothing and brought plenty of drinking water and sun block.

The river was low and there were tracks, especially at site #2, that were grouped together with no water covering them. At site #1 there tracks visible but under about 6 inches of water alongside the "swimming hole".

After checking out the tracks and reading the signage we did some hiking up and down the river bank and took a swim in the swimming hole area.

As others have noted - I agree:
#1 - this is NOT a protected archaelogical site. It is a state park where you can explore and touch the dinosaur track remnants. If you go with these expectations you won't be disappointed.
#2 - Hazards - the rocks in the river are very slippery. To see many of the best tracks you have to at least hop across rocks to get to them. We saw many visitors in cowboy boots, dresses and attire not appropriate. Swimsuits, sandals/pool shoes and shorts/shirst are best.
#3 - Sunblock/Bug spray good to have - in the summer the sun reflecting off the river is instense. We also experienced some biting flys.
#4 - Glen Rose is a major speed trap - we came through town from DFW, returned at lunch and passed through again in evening. Every time we witnessed Glen Rose officers pulling people over on the main highway issuing tickets - Watch Out!

4 Thank gravesbl

Vidor, Texas
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Love this place! Bring your Camper & stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

Went once just passing through town and fell in love. Came back when summer started with an RV, some bikes and my bathing suit and had an incredible time. I would recommend to spend the night or the weekend. There are a lot of trails, paths, hidden beaches and the like that you can really only find by searching on your own. Going back next year.

Shreveport, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Disapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

My girlfriend and I rode on a motorcycle 235 miles just to see the tracks. I had been there some 15 years ago and remember seeing several tracks. The first stop we made had a keep out sign on it so we followed a trail others made but saw no tracks. We next went to the site where there were a lot of cars. Remember we were in riding clothes and not shorts or swim suits. We were to see what looked to be one track but that was hard because a kid was playing on top of it and made the water cloudy. To see I guess all the other tracks we would had to cross wet rocks and risk falling into the water so we left with seeing maybe one good track. I had been building your park up to my girlfriend but we both decided to not come back plus warn our other biker friends to go see the sites somewhere else. I suggest you warn us on your sites to bring shorts or bathing suites so you can see the best tracks. My trip several years back I was able to see the tracks with no problem. I can't believe you allow swimmers so close to the tracks as delicate as they are. I almost forgot, there was another man with casual attire on shaking his head and said I can't see anything. Please repair the site shut down and make it where all the paying public and view the tracks.

2 Thank LaRider
Muskogee, Oklahoma
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Pretty Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

We visited Dinosaur Valley State Park today and my overall impression was it was pretty good for the $5.00 per person entrance fee. We just went there for the day to see the dinosaur tracks. The park offers camping, fishing, horseback riding (I think), and hiking.
We did not stay too long as there were basically three locations for the tracks. If you are into hiking or mountain bike riding then you probably could have spent the day as there looked to be a lot of trails.

1 Thank Jason W
PUMAKIX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Go for the camping and light hiking, skip the dino hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

We took our 4 and 6 yo here, it has been many years since we as parents had visited the park. There may have been a time when the tracks were visible and impresive, but time has taken its toll and up keep and preservation does not seem to be the focus of the park. There was one site visible for tracks we took those in then went on the trails for a hike. That made for fun.. oh and good luck crossing the water. WOW!!!.

2 Thank pumakix