“Good park, but not what I expected.”

Dinosaur Valley State Park
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Glen Rose
More attraction details
Owner description: Search for dinosaur footprints at this state park located along the Paluxy River.
Missouri City, Texas, United States
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Good park, but not what I expected.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

So, overall, this is a good park. Miles of trails. Water holes, Dinosaurs. But all told I was disappointed. It just wasn't what I expected.

Terribly busy. Mostly families with multiple young (<10 years old) children. Parking 80+% full. Picnic tables 95% full.

Dinosaur tracks are all in or near the river. Don't bring a backpack or nice camera or tennis shoes to see them. Also, they're not the most obvious - get easily mud covered & eroded by the river. I was apparently spoiled by my last set of tracks - better protected in the desert, because I expected / hoped to see more.

SO, if you have little kids, want to spend the day splashing in water holes & picnicking & snow cones & giant dinosaur sculptures, this is a great place. For the experience I was hoping for...nature, peace, fossils, educational, chance to use my fancy camera...Less of a good choice. Not a bad park, but just come with reasonable expectations.

1 Thank Deweyz_123

woodway
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Dinosaur prints”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Who wouldn't love to see dinosaur prints! Bring a picnic and enjoy time splashing in the river, make sure to wear good shoes as there is plenty of walking

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Angela R
Dallas, TX
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great place for the family”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Well organized and clean. Highly recommend for a State Park experience. Don't forget to stop at Creation Evidence Museum while in Glen Rose

1 Thank viperdeal
Ennis, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun place”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The river and dinosaur tracks and shops are really nice. We had a great time. The gift shop has some nice gifts, and of course the children loved that!

2 Thank Lou A
Goffstown, New Hampshire
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Sorry to say, but a waste of time and money”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

If you are a hiker, or naturalist you may love this state run park, but I was expecting to see dinosaur footprints in all their glory, and was unimpressed with the viewing areas. First off 2 of the 4 areas we could't even find, they were not marked well once in the park. site 1 & 2 had limited accessibility, and sites 3 & 4 if you could find them were not reachable by all in the party. We were told site 2 was the best viewing area, but all it was, was a mud hole roped off, I think we saw something, but I am not sure. We were told by another patron to follow the river bed to site 3, as you couldn't reach it otherwise, but if we came upon it, we have no idea. site 4 was the same, never found it. No officials from the park warned us of any problems with access to the area. Site 1 had a viewing platform as you could see what appeared to be tracks in the pool of water, but getting a closer look was difficult for some in the party as the trail down was not maintained, and hard to navigate. The trip ended up being a nice walk in the park, and we got to use the bathroom, for $7.00 per person, a bit pricey. If this is how state parks are run in Texas they need some desperate help, and attention

Visited April 2013