“Great place for day hiking from the Metroplex”

Dinosaur Valley State Park
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Glen Rose
More attraction details
Owner description: Search for dinosaur footprints at this state park located along the Paluxy River.
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Have been going here for years as I have family that live in Johnson county near the park. Kids love the model dinosaurs. The river is quite low right now of course due to the drought conditions. We mainly go to day hike up the rocky hills which is a bit of a moderate hike. Very nice state park.

1  Thank cybergal5184

Reviewed May 30, 2011

The kids loved swimming in the river and seeing the dinosaur tracks (as did the adults). Didn't have much time to spend here, but we will definitely be coming back to hike and explore the park more.

1  Thank JonJ_12
Reviewed April 3, 2011

This was our first stop on our new adventure.."100 Places to Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up". I'm not a hiker..or even that much into nature. But the book said to go. :) We arrived..loved the dinosaur sculptures just inside the entrance..we got there fairly early, so there weren't many other visitors save the campers. We hiked down to the first set of tracks..kids got their feet wet and stood where dinosaurs stood so long ago. Got some nice pictures of Paluxy River and the tracks...then realized we had to climb back up. haha! Off to the second set of tracks. The hike down and across was easier but kind of a let down as most of the tracks had been cut out some years back. The kids spotted the playground soon after and it was all over. Swings and slides! Also the bluebonnets were lovely this weekend. So, eh for me...okay for the kids..but it didn't stop them from spending too much of my money in the gift shop on dinosaur toys! haha! I think if we were more into backpacking and hiking it would be more fun. We're just city folk, I guess.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

My family (all of us are adults) have started going to state parks (in Texas) to hike around and get out every so often. We drove out to this one and saw dinosaur prints. It was pretty cool. We went in February, in part, because of what I read here--to avoid a lot of people stirring things up in the river. The area had recently experienced a bout of ice and snow, so we had to deal with some muddy trails with a little left over ice here and there.

You do have to cross the river going rock to rock, which is fun for some, a chore for others. The prints are old and outside, so maybe expectations need to be adjusted somewhat. But for me, it was fun, like being a detective looking for them. And it is cool to see tangible evidence of dinosaurs once being in the same place as us. That kind of humbling feeling you only seem to get out in nature.

The park was pretty crowded in February--which surprised us. Lots of young kids around. So serenity is not the rule around the prints.

Some people have commented on the parks looking underfunded--yep, I think they are underfunded and that situation is not likely to improve any time soon. We talked about it with a lady working at a gift shop that supports the park. (It's in a trailer next to the big dinosaur statues that are nice to take pictures of--got a very sweet looking stuffed brontosaurus for my little nephew.) But we have been to several state parks in the past few months and as far as facilities go--this one was on par. I'd love it if there were more thorough visitor centers for science nerds like me. Still, for us, we enjoy just getting outside and walking around for awhile and seeing our beautiful state. Texas government may not love the parks (or a lot of other stuff that matters to us ), but we do. We got a state parks pass this year and plan to make the most of it.

1  Thank MaggieP6789
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I've been coming here as long as I've been alive, same with my parents and thier parents. It's cheap and makes a great litte family retreat and I can't wait to take my son to see the track and play in the swimming hole down the river here in a couple of weeks ^,^