“OMG ... Awesome little diamond in the rough”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hadden's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #17 of 31 Restaurants in Gilmer
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I have been working in this little country town Gilmer Texas. I was tired of eating lunch at all the local fast food places that are easy to find right off the strip. I just knew that there had to be something better. So I set out on a little adventure and to my surprise I found the cutest little sandwich shop, Hadden's Sandwich Shop. It is located on the corner downtown and it looks like and old café. I knew it had to be good by the old men all standing out side with toothpick in hand rubbing their bellies with satisfactions from the meal that they had, had the pleasure of eating. So I parked my car and went in. It was the cutest little place there were antiques everywhere and all the tables were different. I found that to be to unique and adorable as can be. As I walked to the back where the counter was to order I admired all the novelty memorabilia that was everywhere .I found a case filled with homemade pies on display right there at the counter where you order your meal and I had to have a slice of chocolate pecan pie. The menu was filled with such a verity of things to chose from. They have sandwiches of course and burgers and soups and salads and everyday they have a special and they have hamburger steak and chicken spaghetti everyday as well. With your chose of two sides , fresh homemade tea and floats. OMG .... it truly is a slice of heaven hidden in this small little town . I will be going back tomorrow and the next day to eat lunch. I will even be making special little road trips with my sweetheart to come and eat a meal at this Diamond in the rough .My only complaint is that I didn't find it sooner. My work in this town will soon be over and I will be moving on to somewhere else. But like I said I will be back. Yummmmmm

2  Thank dixiedarlynn1370

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

This is a sandwich shop, but they also have salads, rice and beans, and heavier daily specials. I took my 88-year-old mother to lunch here last week. All the waitresses and staff were friendly and willing to please. It is an order-at-the counter place, but after that, the servers take care of everything.

The food was great - I had the shrimp salad and my mother had rice and beans and chocolate meringue pie. The atmosphere is of a 1940s diner/drugstore, with plenty of local historical photos and documents on display; the space is expansive, but it has a nice warm and friendly feel to it.

By the time we left, which was probably 12:30 p.m., the place was packed. We will gladly drive from Kilgore to Gilmer to have lunch here again. On this visit, everything was perfect.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Very good, fresh-made pimento cheese. Chicken salad was interesting - we thought someone accidentally put the chicken in the tuna salad mix. Overall, really liked it all. The pies looked scrumptious, but we didn't try any, so we have a reason to come back.