“Typical chinese buffet restaurant”
Review of Buffet Village

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Buffet Village
Ranked #24 of 31 Restaurants in Gilmer
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We live in Gilmer and go here often, but I wouldn't say it is the best place we have eaten, but it is definitely one of the best in Gilmer. The grill is my favorite. Love the broccoli salad too!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

We've lived in this area for about 6 years now, and we've gone to Buffet Village more times than I can count, and taken friends and relatives. I'm not meaning to discount the experiences of the other reviewers, but I must say that I've never seen roaches in the place (or I wouldn't darken the door.) As for kids running around and patrons' personal conduct, that may happen, but there may be little the place can do about it. If you see that happening, tell a waitress and make sure the food items or utensils are taken away. Only you can decide if you find a restaurant too shabby for your tastes; that's a personal issue. You won't find many pristine, brand-new restaurants in Gilmer....there's probably simply not enough money in it.

I don't like buffet-type restaurants as a general rule because the food sits out and there IS always a greater risk of food poisoning, but quality-wise Buffet Village's food is about on par with most of the other similar restaurants around here, and they offer a Mongolian grill. You can also order off the menu. I will say that we've never gotten sick eating there.

The fare is pretty standard: salad bar, boiled shrimp some nights, some American food choices, cream cheese wontons, soups, egg rolls, some sweet-and-sour entrees, Kung Pao Chicken, Pepper Steak, usually some kind of pork, Cocoanut Shrimp, and the like. The Mongolian Grill offers various meats and veggies that you can top with sliced ginger or different sauces and they'll cook it for you. For dessert there are the usual pre-made items (I'm sorry, but these are usually pretty stale no matter where you get them), pudding, fruit, and ice cream (that you dip up, not soft-serve.) The ice cream is pretty popular.

I usually get the Mongolian grill because I can get the food without MSG, but I usually have to sample some of the Cocoanut Shrimp and get a salad and some sushi. The sushi isn't made-while-you-wait, but it's the only sushi here. My husband enjoys the Egg Drop soup, which is usually very thick and has a comfort-food quality.

The place is usually busy, so apparently a certain percentage of the population enjoys it enough to eat there fairly regularly.

1  Thank Caprina
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Have gone here a few times....just to appease my husband. He likes buffets so that he can pick and choose and find healthier choices than fast food. The last visit was my LAST...no matter how badly I hate to cook dinner, I will do it rather than darken these doors. A roach was crawling on the dessert buffet....NUFF said!!! Read the previous two reviews for other truths...no need to duplicate as they said it beautifully!

1  Thank ROADHOTMAMA
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I should have read the other review on here and I wouldn't have wasted my time and money. Bad food, dirty dining area, old tea. I won't be back for seconds.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We gave this place two tries. Both times the floor was covered in food. No effort to keep place clean during working hours. Saw patron licking fingers then handling serving spoons on buffet. Kids running around, one picked up food from Mongolian grill with fingers, took off with it then brought it back. Flies everywhere on the 'cold' bar area for salads and desserts. My son got stomach cramps after eating there. I won't even get take out from there... Totally disgusting.