“Great Texas Bar-b-que” 5 of 5 bubbles

City Meat Market
Ranked #4 of 35 Restaurants in Giddings
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, Texas
“Great Texas Bar-b-que”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

This place is worth visiting for the "cue" as well as the wonderful building it is located in. It's been around for a long time and the walls show the accumulated smoke. Great experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Old school BBQ at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Salt. Pepper. Smoke. Nothing fancy about it but some of the best I have ever had. No sauce needed but really good sauce here. Worth a trip.

st pete florida
“More BBQ for Breakfast Pilgrimage pt2”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

While visiting antique dealer buddies set up near Roundtop Texas I went on a "pilgrimage" on Saturday morning to Lexington & Giddings with a Louisiana dealer. This was our second stop. ( see related review of Snow's). There were no lines at 9:30 am and a few folks at tables. Housed in an old building with" character" not ambiance. But we came for the food!!!
The staff happily showed us the pits and the finished product. The rack of ribs looked super and as noted by another reviewer the rub was full of spice and flavor but not overpowering with the dry rub.. Hands down a superior product was at the origins of these well rendered, meaty, tender, tasty ribs. Snow's could take a lesson on where to start and that's with a better quality rib that's slowly cooked to perfection. Maybe being open 6 days a week makes a difference.
The brisket had great color well rendered but was tough. Flavor was good but they don't like overly smoked taste in Texas so MY taste buds were slightly disappointed. Red oak is okay but give me hickory mesquite or even fruitwoods any day. They served whole pickles rather then pickle chips so that was a real treat. I liked the sausage but couldn't compare it to snows as we didn't try it there. I would definitely go back for those ribs. The rated in my top 10 nation wide. (see some of my other reviews of my favs.) The photo I've posted of a rack is my startup screen on my smartphone and I show it to all my BBQ buds. They were even impressed by my photo at Buz and Ned's in Richmond VA. Wish I had ordered more here instead of sampling my friends and getting the full rack here instead of at Snow's. Texas Trend didn't rate this BBQ place as high as Snow's. They got it wrong on this day but then again any day is good day for Q and I'd come back here anytime I was in The neighborhood. Its only 1200 miles away but way out of my normal traffic pattern. Oh well I can drool every time I answer the phone.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dblbell56
Dallas, Texas
“Great BBQ Experience ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I've heard about this place, read about it, and drove by more than once but today I stopped and I'll have to say I'll be back. I really likes the ribs, very tasty. The sausage had a great flavor with course meat and not loaded with fat. Had a nice snap to it. Really like the sausage. Good sauce. I love the old building and you know you're in a place that feels like it has some history to it. If you're into Texas BBQ then you've got to add this place to your BBQ crawl plans. If the place was any more crowded I'd had to eat my lunch on the tailgate of my pickup but it was good enough I'd do that. It's just that good.

1 Thank sidebite252
Denton, Texas
“Overcooked & dry!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Sunday this BBQ joint is closed. So! On our return trip to North Texas, after driving five hours from Corpus Christi to Giddings, TX, we stopped as planned to have lunch at the City Meat Market. While waiting in line at around 1:15 P.M. on Wednesday afternoon. They announced that they were out of everything, but sausage. At that point, was totally,disappointed! The women taking orders said people call ahead to order, and their remaining briskets were reserved for people who called ahead. Hungry, we ordered the sausage which comes with bread and BBQ sauce. Immediately, we went to our van and opened up the brown butcher paper. Remember, we are hungry. The BBQ sauce was to sweet, and the sausage was overcooked and dry.

• Visited March 2014