“Best I've Ever Had!”

City Meat Market
Ranked #6 of 36 Restaurants in Giddings
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

A friend recommended CMM so we stopped in for lunch on our business trip. Ordering at the "pit", we tried the sliced brisket, sausage, and ribs.

The brisket was lean and tasty - very good but about what I expected. Next, I tried the sausage. Oh my... crispy casing holding freshly ground goodness perfectly spiced and juicy without being greasy (how do they do that?). The ribs were put perfection. Absolutely the best sausage and ribs I've ever tasted.

We will plan another lunch trip soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I had always heard that this place had good BBQ, but sadly it has usually been closed when passing through town. However, this time through Giddings it was just past 11AM so we stopped for an early lunch (early is recommended). This place isn’t much to look at and has a country store look to it. You order and get your meat cut right in the kitchen then take your meal and find a seat. Sitting is a bit limited and not very fancy so you may want to take your meal to go.

However, their BBQ is pretty good. I had the pork ribs and the sausage. The ribs were delicious and fell right off the bone. The sausage, however, was a bit disappointing. It was over cooked and a bit dry, but still had a fresh flavor of fresh ground meat.

They also had a strange homemade sauce on the table. I do not recommend this. It is a vinegar base and spicy hot, but was not to my liking.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

The food was great, What a fun experience. You meal and its size are completely up to you. You pay by the pound. Served on butcher paper with a Coke or sweet tea, it makes a perfect Texas lunch.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Even though I had just eaten lunch, there was no way I could pass up the chance for some more top shelf barbecue.

If you're used to the fast-paced urban lifestyle, don't go into City Meat Market expecting Whole Foods. In terms of the actual restaurant, this little spot is mostly just a meat market with some barbecue on the side. Although, I must admit that the smell of delicious pit smoke does make me feel a little lovey-dovey, so perhaps there is some romantic ambiance after all.

It was just a little before closing time when I arrived, so all they had left was some pork butt and fatty brisket. Perfect! I got a quarter-pound sample of each, as well as a small side of potato salad.

The potato salad had a great crunch from the plentiful veggies. It wasn't overly mustardy, which I appreciated. There was also a slight sweetness to the potato salad that made it very pleasant to eat.

My brisket had a very pronounced smoke ring and a great black crust. There was a good punch of both seasoning and smoke in each bite, and it quite literally melted in my mouth. I found absolutely no reason to ruin the meat with sauce. By the time I finished my sampling, I regretted not ordering several pounds. The pork butt also had a nice crust to it. I found even more seasoning here, and all the black pepper gave it a great bite. There was also a good smokey flavor throughout.

I can only imagine how phenomenal their barbecue is at peak hours. If you find yourself in Giddings for some reason, City Meat Market is absolutely worth the stop.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

1  Thank TheBarbecueFiend
Reviewed October 31, 2013

City Meat Market came out on top on our recent Texas BBQ tour. Enter the door and the aroma hits you square in the face. Walk to the back to order and you are in the 1950's. Brisket and Ribs laid out to be cut and weighed. Meat cutter yells out "tell me when to stop" "tell me when to stop" Stop and you get the best of both ribs and brisket, weighed, put on butcher paper, folded up and handed to you with white bread, sauce, and sides.
Atmosphere along with moist brisket and spicy ribs was the best of both worlds.