“Best Bar B Que in Texas!”
Review of City Meat Market

City Meat Market
Ranked #6 of 35 Restaurants in Giddings
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Best Bar B Que in Texas!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

On Hwy 77 headed to Rockport from Fort Worth stopped in City Meat Market for what looked to be an original and authentic BarBQ Joint. It was perfect in every way. Not a restaurant, not a cafe, but just a great tasting BarBQ joint. The meats come right from the pit to the paper and hands. Brisket, ribs, sausage were awesome. I will stop there every time I go there. It ranks right there with Coopers in Lano Texas. I'm one full and happy Texan today!

• Visited May 2013

Austin, Texas
“World Class BBQ! Don't Miss It!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The third corner of the Central Texas BBQ Triangle (my own appellation) along with Luling and Lockhart, this Giddings fixture is a MUST for barbecue fans. You will know you're in the right place if you are looking for some of the best Q in a state where smoked meat is a tradition close to the fanatic. No plates, no sides, few tables and a magic aroma sets the heart pumping, the taste buds tingling and "authentic decor" adds an authentic reinforcement that will ring true to BBQ fans from far and wide. The old building is steeped in smoky flavor and beautiful smoke stains decorate the walls and the antique stamped tin ceiling. Get here early in the day, especially on weekends, the treasure is limited - mid week is best. Sold by the pound, beef brisket, pork ribs, sausage (made on the spot), and sometimes pork roast, are excellent fare for a picnic or a gift for friends back home. Put another way, make sure to take away as much as you can! The chicken is super excellent!! I can't say enough good things about City Meat market. The banana pudding is wonderful,too. Well worth going many miles out of your way.

• Visited May 2013
“Rustic but the food is authentic”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Old fashioned BBQ pits, food is served straight off the pit. No plates, you eat off butcher paper but you don't care the food is so good. Their BBQ sauce is sweet. Seating is very limited. Friendly staff. We eat a lot of BBQ and this was great.

• Visited April 2013
Buffalo, New York
“Rustic Texas Pit BBQ”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We couldn't wait to try this place after seeing the videos on Youtube.
Got the chance while passin' thru this year.
It is a very old building that time seems to have forgotten.
The pickup is still parked next to the building with firewood in the truck bed.
We made sure we got there early, about 10:30 am, to be sure we got BBQ before they ran out.
We were the only ones in the place. The staff was eager to show us the fire box, which was flaming, and the pit that held the ribs, chicken, sausage, etc.
We always order Brisket wherever we go. We also ordered the pinto beans, and Banana pudding. They give you a container of sauce with your order, and white bread.
I was surprised when they took the brisket out of a pan of water to slice it. I can see the wisdom in this, brisket dries out very quickly if not kept moist.
The meat was moist, not dry. I tried it on the bread, with the sauce. I would not recommend the sauce at all. So then I took a piece of the meat and ate it by itself. You could taste the meat, and the smoke in equal proportion, not too smoky, with a good beef flavor.
We were warned that the beans were very spicy. No one liked the beans. We also tried to the banana pudding, which was okay, but again, nothing to write home about. I would rate the food overall, average. The main reason I wanted to go here was so my kids could see an actual Texas pit BBQ. The food wasn't any better or worse than the other BBQ places we have been to in Texas. But the small town feel, and the ancient building, are things you don't find everyday now.

• Visited March 2013
Austin, Texas
“rry and over salted and over rated :/”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The reviews were so high so we decided to try..we rushed there as fast as we could knowing they run out of bbq by noon and sure enough they did but we were glad to have gotten some sausage while my friends got some ribs and brisket..it was all too dry and over salted..would not go back here when there is much better bbq nearer to Austin n in Elgin..go to taqueria chihuahuas :)

Visited April 2012