“Good adventure down under in the caves”
Review of Inner Space Cavern

Inner Space Cavern
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Georgetown
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We always take guests to the underground caves. The tour is an hour and there are a ton of varieties of rock, stalactite, stalagmite, ribbon and formations to explore. Care a high powered flashlight with you so you can see more. They also offer more prolonged hikes/crawls in various holes (like 3 hours). Too confinded for me though. Kids and buy trinkets and other stuff at the top of the short train ride underground. Good tourist thing to do. Call ahead as they sometimes have school buses there and it can be a longer wait.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Took our son and daughter there and they really enjoyed it. Perhaps my daughter's first cave tour. I had a problem with my knee having undergone microsurgery, but was able to walk the paths anyway. Cave tours are always beautiful - some more than others. This one wasn't the most beautiful, but was interesting.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Our adventure to the Inner Space Cavern was recommended by friends whom we were visiting. When we arrived at the cavern ticket booth we had the choice of two ticket pricepoints. The Adventure Tour is a guided one hour and 15 minute tour. It is $19.95 for adults and $11.95 for children ages 4-12. Check their website for a coupon to save $1 per person. Although I didn't have the coupon with me, I did mention it to the cashier and she gave us the discount. They also offer discounts for AAA.

For $2 more per person, you can extend your tour by 20 minutes and spend some time in a less commercial area of the cavern. They will loan you flashlights so you can explore the area on your own.

For the truly adventurous, Inner Space offers a Wild Cave Tour that lasts about 4 hours. Our guide pointed out a few areas on the regular tour and told us that people on the Wild Cave Tour get the chance to crawl through a tunnel, and go down a separate hole to "wild" areas of the cavern. There are several important restrictions on this tour, including when it is offered - currently only on Saturdays - and it is limited to 4 - 8 people.

The weather in Georgetown was in the high 60's on the day we visited. The mines, however, are a consistent 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and 98% humidity. In other words, it got quite hot towards the end of the tour.

Our group included children, aged 8 and 9, plus teens and adults.

Be sure to wear comfortable shoes with some sort of grip as there as spots on the path that are wet and slippery. The formations of stalagtites and stalagmites were fascinating, and I loved the "soda straws". Our guide was very knowledgeable and shared some fun history with us regarding the cavern and the various finds that have been discovered within them.

Outside, there is a playground, picnic tables and a large pen with some animals - a baby zebra, donkey and some deer that you can feed for .50. There is also a spot that you can pan for gems. Buy some dirt in the gift shop ($6) and sift through it with a mining pan to discover hidden gems.

If you get hungry or thirsty, the Inner Space does offer hot dogs and other snacks plus drinks for sale. However, no food or water (not even bottled water or gum) is allowed in the cavern.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

A fun place to learn about caves. It is a great way to "cool off" during the summer. Tour is enjoyable and informative. This is not the biggest cave/cavern but is very easy to get to and you don't have to spend the day to see everything.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This place is just awesome! I have been here at least a dozen times since I was a child and now bring my children. It hasn't changed but is still awe inspiring!