“Extremely poor service and high prices. Food wasn't all that good either!”
Review of Gumbo's

Gumbo's
Ranked #12 of 158 Restaurants in Georgetown
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Outrages prices, terrible service; 18% gratuity added to which we object. Tips for supposed to be based on good and timely service. We got neither and will never go back. Tips should ALWAYS be up to the patron, not the restaurant. As long as the servers are going to get a good tip no matter what, why should they go out of their way to make things more pleasant for the customer?

2  Thank Dee N

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Having lived in Lafayette, we like the food and love the people. We recently made two trips to the Georgetown square to Gumbo's, once for Brunch and once for Dinner. Both times we were pleased with the result. Not having eaten at the old Round Rock location we had nothing to compare it to locally. The decor and exterior remind one of a New Orleans location. Nice outdoor seating both on the second floor balcony or on the sidewalk. The main room is tasteful and a bit crowded but still functional. It was very busy for Sunday brunch but the wait staff seemed to have it under control. Service was quick but not rushed. Eggs Benedict was excellent. French Toast with Bananas Foster was also good without being soggy. At the dinner outing we were again seated quickly. Mid week there did not seem to be a dinner rush. Some folks having cocktails. Again, the service was attentive. The chicken and jalapeno sausage gumbo was very good, tasty without being "hot". Salads were crisp. I especially liked the almond, apples and goat cheese with bacon dressing. The Jumbo grilled shrimp and dirty rice were very tasty. The blackened catfish over etoufee was also quite good. What we liked was that the food was not over-powered by the spices. Both visits were positive. Have not been in the last month but will go back and review again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice 2-level restaurant on scenic Georgetown square. As reported by others, service is friendly but pace is extremely slow. Atmosphere is pretty good and appears to be a good place for a large group if you're not in a hurry. Unlike other reviews I thought my meal (salmon) was very tasty though portion size was small and prices are on the higher end. We were not in a hurry as we had business clients with us and it allowed us to talk without being rushed, but I can see why others would object to the delays. I'd go back again if entertaining clients, but not so much for personal use.

1  Thank Darryl A
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Made reservation 2 weeks in advance for mothers day. We arrived on time, ordered quickly since we had a baby with us, 2 hours later, still no food. Several tables left without getting their food, we finally left too.

1  Thank Banditdogaustin
Reviewed May 6, 2013

It pains me to write this review. My wife and I have lived in the Round Rock area for years and were loyal Gumbo's customers at the Round Rock location. I'm originally from New Orleans so I have a good barometer for what Cajun food should taste like. Gumbo's in Round Rock was my favorite Cajun restaurant in the greater Austin area (beating out Pappadeaux's for example). With my heritage I'm a bit picky when it comes to gumbo, etouffee, and anything blackened since there are a lot of imitation Cajun places out there. Gumbo's of Round Rock had the best of each and was consistent. I could count on a perfect cup of crawfish gumbo every time. The roux was really a roux, the flavors and aroma were intense. You get the picture. Then to my dismay the Round Rock location closed.

Months later the Georgetown location opened and finally my wife and I made the 20 mile trip to downtown Georgetown to get our Gumbo's fix. We were terribly disappointed...

The waiter's initial greeting included a comment that the restaurant was identical to the Round Rock location....the menu, the chef, etc. As we were passed what looked like identical menus (and prices), we were very excited.

We ordered our usual....

Appetizer: Popcorn crawfish
Salad: Mixed greens with apples and goat cheese (for my wife)
Entrée: Bowl of seafood gumbo (for my wife) and bowl of crawfish gumbo (for me).

Everything seemed great. The service was nice, the atmosphere was great (we sat outside on the 2nd floor balcony). Then the food started to arrive....

Appetizer: Portion was cut in half. Still tasty, but I felt pretty cheated.
Salad: Portion was cut in half. Apples were soggy.
Gumbo: Portion was smaller, but it was NASTY. Absolutely nasty. There were pools of oil floating in the it. It was very, very bland. There was very little seafood or crawfish and a ton of rice. It was BAD. Neither of us finished it.

We were shocked and saddened. I could have lived with the smaller portion sizes, but the horrible gumbo? The restaurant is named Gumbo's and to fail at that? Why? So disappointing. Needless to say, we will not be returning.

I really hope the owners read this review. I would be happy to return if the food quality is brought back up to par, but until then the Georgetown "Gumbos" location has become yet another imitation Cajun restaurant.

1  Thank Ryan F