“Good alternative to Tex-Mex”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ruby K's Cafe Bakery & Catering - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dallas, Texas
“Good alternative to Tex-Mex”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Loved finding a place with reasonably priced American-style food, because we are so tired of Tex-Mex and overpriced, overrated American food in Georgetown (you know who you are). The method of cooking without deep-frying is refreshing. My chicken-fried steak was a tender, flawless serving, with just enough crust for crunch and flavor. Fried cabbage was tangy, bacon-y, wonderfully seasoned and of perfect texture. The grilled potatoes were a bit crusty, well-seasoned and fork-tender. My wife ordered chicken parmigiana; it was tender, not dried out, and the marinara sauce was spicy, with a nice black-pepper kick, and just the right balance of sweetness and tomato tanginess. Downside: The menu said this was served over angel hair pasta, but it came with spaghetti, without warning of the substitution. Upon asking, we were told they were in the process of updating their menus. We also noticed that another table was served fettuccine that turned out to be spaghetti. These unannounced substitutions, and watery iced tea, keep this review from being a five. We were served complimentary cheddar-herb biscuits that were plump and tasty. Finally, we took a slice of moist, just-as-it-should-be carrot cake home for dessert. The prices are very reasonable, the portions large, and the server was downright enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about the menu (other than the pasta faux pas). Once this restaurant settles in to the new location, we think it will be the best just-good-food location in the downtown area, and it already is an outstanding value.

• Visited August 2013

Georgetown, Texas, United States
“I'll Follow This Place Wherever It Goes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

My only problem with Ruby K's is that it used to be my little secret back when it was Ruby's in Jarrell,, then she moved to the first Georgetown location and the word started spreading, and now at the new location seems everybody knows about it and they're busy, busy, busy! I've loved Denay's cooking for years now, and am delighted to see the success of the restaurant as everyone else learns what a wizard in the kitchen she is.

I went to the new location with a friend shortly after they opened, and for a brand new location things went very well and the food was as usual delicious. We had to park down the street for that reason, as all of their parking was full, and the restaurant was packed, though having come for lunch a bit early we didn't have very long to wait. And, as usual, I took a take-home box with me because the generous portions are more suited to my husband than me!

Georgetown is developing quite the culinary scene, and Ruby K's is one of its shining stars.

• Visited June 2013
Georgetown, Texas, United States
“New Location - Same Great food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ruby K's moved to the old Chantal home location to be able tos erve more people and be in the Downtown Square (The most Beautiful Square in Texas!!!) and serving a slightly larger menu, but all taste home made and are at a price most can afford. We are so happy to have them in the Square.

Staff is professional but friendly. Management actually converses with customers and the staff serves the food-nearest wait staff to food coming from kitchen serves the food rather than waiting to the assigned person to get to the task!! Everything about Ruby K's is of the hisghest quality and best of service.

Round Rock, Texas, United States
“Good Homecooking!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I went last week and it was good.
Good solid food and a nice atmosphere, it could have been a little cooler...*it didn't feel like the ac was on very low.
I ordered the half portion of the Chicken Fried Steak and it was more than I could finish.
Husband ordered the Chicken Cordon Blue and LOVED it.
Fried Cabbage, Mashed Potatoes, and Carrot Salad was tasty.
Mac & Cheese was a little rich for me.
Ordered the Chips and Cilantro Salsa and they were fantastic; though they did run out of chips so we only had one plate of the chips...wish there was a little plate of veggies that they would have brought because the salsa was outstanding and we hated to leave any.

• Visited July 2013
“Not at all what we hoped it would be.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We first tried the restaurant the week before they moved to the new venue. The service was slow but we chalked that up to the upcoming move...the food was very good.
We went for lunch today at the new location and I found it very disappointing. My husbands catfish was good but my simple BLT was served with soggy bread, under cooked bacon and no avocado. I asked for the avocado and was brought one thin slice.
It took us far too long to even get the waitress to take our bill and payment. Will not be going back.