“Really creative food, environment, meh!”

La Playa Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 152 Restaurants in Georgetown
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At La Playa Mexican Cafe, our goal is to give you a memorable dining experience with our combination of flavors, ambiance and award winning service. With a passion and dedication to detail, we're certain you'll be thinking of us long after.
Georgetown, Texas
“Really creative food, environment, meh!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have lived in Georgetown about six months and several people have told us to try La Playa, but we have not made it there until this week. If the place had just a bit of character, it would rate 5 stars, but that detail has been overlooked. The margaritas are about 7 on a 1-10 scale, but the food is both creative and delicious. I had the best tamales I have ever had, and my wife had very creative tacos.
The service was a notch above acceptable and the price was very reasonable. I would recommend it and we will go again.

• Visited May 2014

Austin, Texas
“Nice evening atmosphere, decent food”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

If you're in Georgetown of an evening and feel the need for a frozen margarita, this is the place to go. Comfy and pleasant with reasonably priced alcohol and overpriced food, La Playa is a good bet.

I am a fan of the beef fajitas with Tarrasca sauce (onions, mushrooms, poblano peppers), and I also like the fried avocado and the tortilla soup with chicken. A friend swears the cheese enchiladas are the best in town, so enjoy those, too! I don't know why a cheese enchilada plate would be $10, so I don't roll that way.

There is outside seating, but it's silly - out the front door and around on the side of the building facing busy Williams Drive with no shade. And for lunch, I think the place is way too dark. But for a happy hour margarita, I'll see you there!

Visited April 2014
Austin, Texas
“A HIDDEN GEM!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Upon recommendation of several friends, I visited La Playa for lunch. I was surprised to see the extensive menu, especially the seafood choices, in a strip mall Mexican restaurant in Georgetown.
The staff, especially the waitstaff, were prompt and competent. Chips and salsa[s] appeared immediately. A major plus was the verde sauce.
I ordered something I had never encountered, a seafood covered fried eggplant. It was incredible, but way too big for a lunch for one person. It could have easily been shared. Again, it was incredible.
I came back later the same week for Happy Hour. Well made well Margaritas for $2.22 all day on Tuesdays. Upon recommendation, I tried the seafood enchiladas. Again, excellent. I took Mole enchiladas to go; and my wife said that even after time in the car, that they were some of the best she had ever had.
This place is worht looking for. The highest recommendationsthat I can give.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank osohub
“EEHH?!?”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Service was ok, not real busy but waiter kept forgetting about us (6 people). They seemed more worried about getting the to go orders ready than seating us. The green sauce is good, I've had it on a previous visit but we didn't have any because they ran out. Fish tacos where ok, on flour tortillas with cheese, call me a purist not the way to eat fish tacos. Flautas are ok and the beef enchiladas are kind if bland. Beans are very good as was the queso with beef. I've had better, EEHH.

1 Thank Big1daddy
“Tex-Mex”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Good, classic Tex-Mex food. Everything was fresh. The chips and flour tortillas were hot and home made. The unusual green sauce (for dipping chips) was mild and very good. We had fajitas (2 different kinds) and they were excellent.

Visited March 2014