“Outstanding Texas BBQ.”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Garland, Texas
“Outstanding Texas BBQ.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Not another place I would rather get BBQ. Sandwiches are second to none. The only drawback is its all window service. No seating. Generally you will have to wate for your Q, but i'd wait a while for this. When i think about BBQ, I think MeShack's.

• Visited June 2014

Dallas
“Excellent BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

This place has quite a cult following:) It is indeed a little shack and you could easily drive right by it and not notice it.

But it is well worth the visit. We've always gotten the brisket when we've been. Superb!

Be advised, they do close down when they sell out so if it's later in the afternoon when you're thinking of going, you might call ahead. A few times when we've been, we got the last of the brisket and the folks behind us had to order other things instead.

FYI - I guess you could find some place to sit and eat outside if you wanted to but it is really a take out place. Grab and go. And enjoy!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank netamtx
“Pretty good bbq”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Nice taste, good prices. Definitely it's worth to try. Be careful as portions are huge!!! And you might want to make a phone call before you'll hit the road as they are closing when they will sold out.

2 Thank Zetkom
Spring, Texas
“Must Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Great brisket and "roll ups" which is quite simply sausage wrapped in bread with barbecue sauce. Be prepared to wait and don't expect a chair to wait in. The regulars know how long it will take for their food to be prepared and wait in their car. They do run out of food and it can happen early. Ribs are usually sold out by noon and once their beans were sold out by noon. We love going to Meshack's!

• Visited October 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Quite Literally A Shack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Mid-week barbecue is always a bit of an elusive luxury for me, so today I took full advantage of my open schedule and headed to Garland in search of more top tier meat. Meshack's is one of the only barbecue joints in the DFW metroplex that opens before 11:00am, which makes it the perfect pick for a carnivorous brunch.

This aptly-named joint is quite literally a shack. Some of the more humble and rustic barbecue spots lack plates and/or utensils, but here you won't even find tables or chairs, and the only menu is painted onto the outer wall. Despite its meager appearance, Meshack's has been churning out 'que delicious enough make Texas Monthly's list of "Top 50 BBQ Joints" for 2013.

I hungrily ordered a three-meat Mixed Dinner of ribs, sliced beef, and links. Their dinner plates automatically come with potato salad and baked beans, and there's no room to negotiation since those are the only side dishes available. The same amazing aroma that made the wait in line somewhat enjoyable also made the drive back to Uptown almost unbearable. I found myself glancing down at my smokey passenger every few minutes and licking my lips.

The potato salad looked a little like lumpy instant mashed potatoes, with no visible spices or veggies. That being said, it was interestingly sweet and had more of a crunch than I expected. Much like the potato salad, the baked beans also had a nice sweetness. Nothing about them really stood out, but they were a decent barbecue accompaniment nonetheless.

I started my meat trio with the hot links, which were really well done. All of the black pepper and garlic gave the sausage a great flavor, and there was a decent amount of heat to it too. Even though they weren't homemade (Smokey Denmark's from Austin), these links were rather excellent.

My brisket had a pronounced smoke ring and a dark black crust. The meat was very tender, despite being a leaner cut of meat. There was a good seasoning and plenty of smoke to boot. Although it wasn't needed, I tried the sauce for good measure. It had a slight sweetness that paired well with the brisket.

The ribs were probably my favorite of the three. They had a deep red smoke ring and some beautiful bark. The meat took little effort to pull off the bone, but there was enough retention to avoid the oft-encountered "falling-off-the-bone" nonsense. There was also a great smokey flavor throughout. Too bad my order only came with four of these bad boys.

Meshack's had some pretty amazing barbecue, but it s a little far out of the way to become a regular stop of mine.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Visited December 2013