“Vara Guest House”

Ranked #1 of 1 Garden City B&B and Inns
College Station, Texas, United States
“Vara Guest House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the Vara Guest House for 2 and 1/2 months. I will not stay anywhere else in the Midland area after the time I enjoyed there. Alex and Cindy strove not only to accommodate myself, but all other guests that were there as well. I was thoroughly impressed with their facilities, rooms, cleanliness, and hospitality. I highly recommend the Vara Guest House to anyone, and any size party.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Chris F
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you Chris for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your thoughts and review about your stay with us. It was truly our pleasure to have you as our guest in Ruth's Refuge at the B&B this past summer. We wish you the best in the upcoming year as you pursue your studies and congratulate you on hearing about the successes you've already racked up at the university. Keep up the good work. We hope to have you back again next summer possibly if you happen to work in our area. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Alex & Cyndi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Gunter, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I absolutely love this place. My family and I have visited with them several times. It gives you the feeling of being at home. I have tried out 3 of their rooms and can't wait to sleep in the others. Probably the cutest one is the sleeping porch. Ruth's refruge makes me feel like I'm sleeping at my granny's house. That is my favorite room to stay in. Go to the website and look at the different rooms and you will see they are all unique.

Room Tip: I love the room called Ruths Refruge
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Tammie, thank you so much for another wonderful review about your stay(s) with us. We truly enjoy having you and your family as guests at our B&B and we look forward to having you back in the near future. We know you have many choices available for lodging in the Midland area...and we're especially thankful that you've chosen us time and time again. Cheers to a long lasting business relationship as you continue to visit the Permian Basin area. Alex & Cyndi
Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

There is a lot to say about the Vara House, so please excuse the length of this review.

I attended a funeral service in Midland and needed to locate suitable accommodations. My friends had secured several hotel rooms in Midland, but even with discounts, it was unreasonably expensive. Most of the hotels in Midland are overpriced in my opinion. So I researched other possibilities and located the Vara Guest House in Garden City. After reading the glowing reviews, I spoke with Alex (owner) and booked one night. A couple of days later he called me back and said that I could book an additional night as a cancellation had occured. So I booked two nights for the price of one at one of the Midland hotels.

I checked in to the Vara House a little after 7:00 pm, after driving in from Midland. It is around 35-37 miles from Midland, but at 70 miles an hour, it takes only a half hour.

The house is from 1907 and very neat and clean. The owners (Alex and Cindy) have done an excellent job in converting the room I stayed in (Cynthia Quarters), to maximize comfort and privacy. The room has all the amenities needed in a hotel room, plus the bed was very comfortable.

The Vara's offer breakfast for an additional amount, which is very convenient and I was treated to blueberry waffles, a tasty sausage/egg/pepper combination and fresh fruit, with orange juice and coffee. The next day I was treated to a spinach omelet with bacon and english muffin with fresh fruit. A nice alternative from the standard breakfast fare at a typical breakfast restaurant.

I enjoyed reading a book on the front porch and was even entertained by a couple of hummingbirds who were breakfasting at the nearby flowers. Very quiet and peaceful.

There is plenty of things to do if you want at the Vara Guest House. There is a workout area, sauna and I'm sure Alex will be glad to show you around and make your stay memorable.

All in all, a very nice stay with very nice people. Do yourself a favor and check out the Vara Guest House. I think you will feel the same way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark T
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you Mark for taking time out to express your thoughts and review about your recent stay with us at our B&B. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest. We make every effort to treat all of our guests in a way that we'd also want to be treated when staying in a bed and breakfast. It's one of the reasons we chose to convert our home into one knowing that we've truly enjoyed our experiences at other B&B's as well. It's just a different atmosphere in a B&B...more of an intimate setting where you truly get to meet others and converse in ways unlike that of a typical motel/hotel. Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to hopefully having you back when you're in the Permian Basin area.
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Garden City, Texas was the last place on earth that I'd have expected to find a good B&B, but Alex and Cyndi Vara have opened their home to guests and created a nice, quite place to get away from it all. I booked at Vara House after looking for accommodations for a business trip to Midland and finding only overpriced dives. Vara House was listed on the Midland Chamber of Commerce web site so I thought I'd give it a try. This was my first stay and I arrived very late in the evening (close to midnight) after a seven hour drive but was welcomed with a genuine and warm smile by Alex Vara who gave me an orientation to the amenities and showed me to my room (Cynthia's Chamber). I was apologetic for arriving so late, but Alex assured me that it was no problem at all. After an enjoyable visit and tour it was off to bed. I had a great night's sleep in a very comfortable bed in a cool, quiet room. The room and grounds were spotlessly clean and the claw foot tub was just plain awesome! Garden City is certainly not a destination for most, but if you're working in the Midland/Odessa area this is a wonderful alternative to the way overpriced and just plain pretentious hotels. Vara House is cozy, clean, comfortable, and worth the commute even if you're working in Midland or Odessa. I'm looking forward to my next stay and can assure you that you can't go wrong with Vara Guest House.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you Mr. Parr for taking time out of your busy day to write such a wonderful review about your recent stay with us. We are truly humbled by your kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you and having you as our guest in the B&B. We look forward to seeing you again should your business travels require you to be back in the Permian Basin area. Until then...we wish you safe travels to and from your destinations. Sincerely, Alex & Cyndi
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I happened to find Vara Guest House last minute, the night before I headed down to the Midland/Odessa area for a business trip. The availability for any hotel was slim, and the prices are outrageous in that area for anything, let alone something nice. They were priced much better than most, and only a 20 something mile drive from Midland. After driving nine hours from Tucson, and then getting stuck in traffic from 1-20 being closed off due to a major accident, I couldn't even make it there until around 11pm. Alex waited up for me to get there, was extremely hospitable, and even provided some nice conversation after a hectic day. I definitely felt the feeling of "make yourself at home" was truly genuine. The room was wonderfully decorated and cozy, the bed comfy, and the whole house just adorable. There is a great little front porch to relax on, but the real outside retreat is out back where all the guests congregate and chat every night, maybe even grill some food up over a glass of wine or beer, under the very plentiful stars in the quiet country location. I had only planned to stay the first night and find something closer for the rest of the trip, but the place was such a nice oasis in what can be not-so-nice West Texas, that I decided to stay there the rest of the trip. Absolutely worth the little extra drive. Vara guest house added a little of a vacation element to my business trip, which was unexpected and appreciated. Alex and Cindy are the nicest, most genuine people that really make sure you have everything you need for your stay. Being able to use the kitchen at free will was so nice as well, saves you money on food, and not having to eat unhealthy. I will most surely be back to stay should my next business trip to the area require a hotel stay, because it is just so much better than any hotel you could find!

Room Tip: I stayed in Cynthia's chamber and it was perfect. Private bath with granite counter top vanity...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Marie...Thank you so much for the wonderful comments pertaining to your recent stay with us here in Garden City. It was truly a pleasure meeting you and we hope we'll have an opportunity to see you again when/if you make it back to the Permian Basin.
Highland Haven, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently celebrated my son's wedding in Garden City and needed a place to house 10 adults and 2 kids. Vara House was perfect! Thank you so very much! Breakfast was delicious and they let me use their kitchen facilities to prepare lunch and supper for all of us. Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
do42axv, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
We're thankful we had the opportunity to serve your lodging needs especially for such a wonderful celebratory occasion of witnessing your son unite with his bride in marriage. Congratulations to the bride & groom and to the parents on both sides. We look forward to the possibility of having you back as our guests in the future.
Trent, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I'm not big on this rating stuff, but I'm submitting this for Vara's Guest House; they deserve it. It's a great place to stay for any reason. Mine happened to be business.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Vara Guest House, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you Trent for taking time out of your busy day to post a review about your extended stay with us. It was truly our pleasure to have you as a guest in La Casita. We look forward also to seeing what life is like in your neck of the woods back in Iowa. By the way...we love the music of your band....Volcano Boys...especially the drum sounds you perform in the background. Great Stuff!

Been to Vara Guest House? Share your experiences!