“Believe the bad reviews”

The Victorian Condo-Hotel Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Austin
“Believe the bad reviews”
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We had to stay at Hawthorn Suites at The Victorian Resort as a group booking for an event in Galveston. I had read on Tripadvisor the bad reviews and was very skeptical. Our group did not choose the Victorian Resort, it was choosen for us. One room our group stayed did not have hot water most of the time, another had hair in the bath tub and one of the beds in their room, another did not have heat the first night there. They were moved to another room the second night. In still another room, one of the beds broke while someone was getting in it, it resulted in brusied ankle and a cut on her leg. Our rooms were dirty, old, not fit to stay in. The breakfast was unedible, the eggs were runny, the sausage was really greasy and overall gross. We ate in our rooms instead. I would never stay there again. It was not worth the money even with the group discount. Beware of the extra fees on your bill too. We were very disapointed, it lived up to all the bad reviews. You have been warned!

Cheer Power Competitors

• Liked — Checking Out
  • Disliked — Staying There
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank cheermom318

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
dallas, tx
Reviewed December 3, 2006

I really enjoyed this trip. Galveston was a great get away. The hotel was across the street from the beach. It had two pools, one that helped keep the kids busy, and one for the adults. The breakfast had everything you could have wanted, eggs, bacon, and hash browns. When you have 2 teenagers it is a huge savings to have breakfast paid for in the cost of the room. The Hotel was a great hub for all of the activities that we wanted to do as well. It was close to the beach, moody gardens, Schlitterbahn, and the strand. We loved it and would return again.

• Liked — The HOT breakfast.
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank guestwithpets
Texas
Reviewed November 1, 2006

I was a little nervous after reading the reviews on here, but the Hawthorn was fine for our family. No, it is not a 5 star hotel, but then it is $84 a night for a suite.

Our suite had a nice master bedroom, pull out couch and a nook with bunk beds. It was perfect for a family of 6.

The room was clean, the beds reasonably soft and the bathroom adequate. The elevator worked fine and the people were friendly. Our room had a balcony view of the pool and the ocean.

The breakfast was okay, nothing spectacular, but then we didn't expect spectacular... just basic.

We would have no problems staying here again.

• Liked — The room set up and the view
  • Disliked — No real problems
  • Tips/Secrets — Get room 3302... we loved it!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank wcr2
houston
Reviewed October 23, 2006

As with at least one previous reviewer, we stayed here as a result of an Escapes invitation. To begin with, the elevator wan't working. A major inconveniece with luggage to say the least. After being in our cramped room for about a half hour, we heard the door start to open. It was the cleaning service. This was strange as a card had already been left saying the room had been cleaned. This left us with some concern as to these peoples' real motivation. After this, we did remove all valuable when leaving our room.

We had quickly surmized that the pillows they had would be inadequate and asked housekeeping if we could have 2 more pillows. They said NO. No explanation - just NO. We've never had this happen to us anywhere before.

The bathroom was not clean and neither of us opted for a shower that day. The tub really needed scrubbed and disinfected before use.

The beds were among the most uncomfortable we have ever slept on. Of course, we really didn't manage much sleep on these. What a miserable evening!

We went down in the morning for the free hot breakfast and could barely get two bites down of the overcooked and not too hot eggs. The sausage looked limp and one bite was all it took to say no to this. Even the toast wasn't very good.

While our "Escapes" trip had us booked for two nights here, we opted to check out right after breakfast. No one should have to stay in a place like this.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — STAY AWAY!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank debned

Travelers are raving about these Galveston hotels

Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2006

We stayed at the Victorian as part of a tour deal. If we would tour the Escapes! Timeshare condos, we would get two free nights at the Victorian, a $50 dinner gift card, and a coupon book. We had to pay a $48 booking fee for the room and agreed to go on a 90 minute tour of the property. I had read a previous posters experience and was not pleased. So when I went to check in at the Victorian I pointed out to the desk clerk my letter stating that I was to receive a newly renovated suite. I told her that I wasn't pleased about the reviews I had read on trip advisor and that if she wanted to avoid future complications with me that I had better have a decent room. She said she didn't know what was written on trip advisor nor did she seem to care. She went on to explain that the renovations were being done in phases. Then she told me that she would get me as close to the newly renovated rooms as possible! I said "that's not good enough". We were unable to check-in at the appointed time and they asked us to come back in one hour. So we went down to Fish Tales to have a beer and watch the cowboy game. When we returned, the lobby was full. It took about 20 minutes to check-in. When we got to our room it was stifling hot, about 95°. So we opened up the front door and the sliding glass door and blew the hot air out and cranked the air-conditioner. It didn't take long to cool off, thank goodness.
Soon there was a knock at the door and someone brought us a hotel directory and a big serving fork in a plastic bag. We already had a hotel directory and we never did figure out the big serving fork. We decided to go down to the pool but when we got there it was freezing cold and they told us that the heaters were broken. So we decided to go to the hot tub..... I have never seen hot tubs that dirty in my life! It was disgusting. There were wads of hair and dirt on top of the bubbles and a disgusting yellow brown slimy scum that looked like baby poop all around the sides. We backed away in horror. There were people in these hot tubs! Incredible... I was afraid I was going to catch something just being in the vicinity. On the way back to the room we had to dodge the ant beds and make sure we didn't stand in one place to long or risk being bitten. On a good note, they had a very cold fridge, a nice TV and enough room for three people. It states that it sleeps six, personally I think that would be a bit too crowded. The next day we went on the tour and the property there is beautiful also a bit expensive. The breakfast was just OK. The scrambled eggs looked horrible but were surprisingly not too bad. They had sausage and toast, cereal and juice. One day they had Texas shaped waffle irons but they were broken the next day. The Lady who was running the breakfast area kept going outside to smoke and quite obviously did not want to be there. They try to tell you this place is a restaurant called "Garibaldi's" but don't believe it. It's just your run-of-the-mill, average breakfast room at any hotel USA. People would put their trash bags out on the walkway and nasty leaky stuff from the bags would leak out all over the walkways and spill over onto the cars parked below. The whole time we were there it was never cleaned up. They have renovated rooms to where they have a little entrance with a burglar bar gate but you cannot lock the gate so the burglar bar gate is useless. I stayed at the Victorian about 12 years ago and it was pretty nice. But it has become rundown and fallen victim to the epidemic of people who don't care. The bed was the most uncomfortable bid I have ever slept in, without exception. I would have gotten more sleep if I had laid down on the concrete floor of the parking garage. On the last day of our stay after we left, I noticed that I had lost an earring. I have called the hotel repeatedly and left messages with the person in charge of lost and found and they will not even return my calls. Sadly, the Victorian has seen it's better days but with a name like Hawthorn Suites connected to it I would have expected better.

• Liked — Location...Walmart is next door. Beach, shopping, food all close by.
  • Disliked — Poor service, breakfast...just hoped no one would get sick, The Bed.....
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from the Victorian.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank buddhafuldreamer
Bakersfield, CA
Reviewed October 12, 2006

Front desk staff was disorganized and lacked knowledge. They lost our reservations and lost our credit card info. While waiting in line to check in and check out, virtually every guest in line in front of us had complaints about their rooms. Then they sent us to a room that hadn't been cleaned yet. We were then sent to another room and it was filthy. The carpet was worn and stained, the beds were extremely uncomfortable (I had pain in my back and neck for days afterward,) paint was peeling off the walls, there were bugs in the bathroom. The shampoo bottles in the bathroom were already partially used. The majority of exercise equipment in the gym were broken. The front of hotel needs a ramp as an older man was walking down the steps at the front of the hotel with his luggage and he fell down the stairs. The front desk staff made comments about how it happens often. There never seemed to be a manager available. This hotel was old and dirty and I would never stay there again. I can't believe I was charged over $200 for my room. They should have paid me to stay there.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank pjc123
Waco, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We had stayed here in the past and it was okay. This time the maintenance was lacking, the room was musty smelling and they advertised newly renovated. The other guests were obnoxious and rude. They were in the hallway most of the night yelling. And they weren't using the Queens english. Even though the price was reasonable, it isn't really a deal, if you don't enjoy the stay. We will not be back to this property.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff not aware of what was happening on property
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else