“Condo 3119 is a DUMP”

Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Keller, Texas
“Condo 3119 is a DUMP”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived to see a nice pools and fairly new exterior paint, so we were hopeful. That hope fell when we opened the condo door. The enitre space had never been updated it apprears since the building was errected. The carpet, furniture and bed spreads were OLD/1980's. We got the rude awakening that the nicely equiped kithenette was two burners (we found out the next morning that only one burner worked), 5 plates( we have six in our family, 4 spoons and a few knives and forks. There was only one spatula...the wooded one was splinted and gross and a few plastic cups warped by the heat of the dishwasher. There was an upleasant and quite possible unsanitary drip, that fell in the bathtub continuously. There were holes in the curtains in the living room and the shower curtain was torn. The towel rack/bar was leaning and barely hangng onto the wall. There were knobs missing on the leaning bathroom cabinet doors. We ended up buying ALL plastic cups/plates/untensils because the partical board shelves in the cabinets were so disgusting and rotting. We ended up spending more money eating out because we could not use the "well equipped kitchenett" as we had originally planned. Next time we are going back to SeaScape...or just staying in a hotel. Feel sad that my precious husband works 75 hours a week and he busted his butt to give us a nice vacation! Shame on the Condo owners for renting this dump and shame on Victorian Condos for not inspecting your property and takinc care of your guests!!!

2 Thank DaLana B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We checked in on Tuesday and proceeded to the room assigned to us. We had been told the day before that our room was on the first floor; we were put on the third floor. Not a problem, we had better views.
The staff called around 7ish to check on the room; at that time all seem fine and we said so. We proceeded to cook dinner, and when we began washing up we found that we had NO hot water, at best the water was room temperature. I called to the front desk and was told she would have someone up to look at it.
We left the next morning to go to Schlitterbahn Water Park. Upon return to the condo we went to the pool - very nice and then back to the room to cook dinner - a benefit to staying at this property we thought.
When we found that we still had no hot water I called to the front desk again and said the problem had not been fixed. She offered to send someone and I told her that no it was 845 pm now and I had children to get to bed, and that they had had all day to fix the problem.
When I went to check out the following morning - a Thursday, I explained that I was disappointed and that I thought the $159 per night plus taxes and fees was excessive given the situation. The clerk told me there was nothing he could do. I asked to speak to a manager and was told to wait a minute. I did and another clerk told me they didn't have the authority to adjust the bill and that they had no record of my call from Tuesday and that when I called Wednesday I had refused to let them fix the problem.
I again asked for a manager. While I was waiting for Mr. Stacy I was told by another guest that I should quit my 'witching' and find a reason to be greatful, this diatribe went on, in front of staff who did nothing to stop it, for approxiamately five minutes. There was another lady at the desk, an 'owner' complaining about the quality of her pillow.
At that point Mr. Stacy proceeded to have me stand outside his office while he and the second desk clerk stepped into his office and "read what was in the red book" and then proceeded to talk about me and my situation.
I was told that there was nothing they could do. That essentially I should have made myself available to their repair man, and since I had not the issue was on me.
I was angry, but we left.
Upon retuning home I checked with the bank on my ability to dispute the charges and was told I had 48 to do so.
Friday I called the hotel again and this time spoke with the owner, Mr. LaPort's, assistant. I explained the problem and was told how sorry she was. She then put me on hold and went to speak to Mr. LaPort. She came back on the line and said that Mr. LaPort would have the Hotel Manager Tava (sp?) call me when she returned from vacation on Monday and in the meantime would refund $25.00 per night to my card. I agreed, foolishly.
I did not receive a call on Monday. Honestly - I was not concerned. I figured that Tava had lots to get caught up on after returning from vacation. On Tuesday morning I called and spoke with Tava. I explained who I was and what the problem had been. I even explained that I understood why she hadn't called me back. She proceeded to inform me that she had not intended to call me back becasue Mr. LaPort had told her about the situation in the staff meeting Monday and that the problem was settled. ? I explained that this was not what had been indicated to me and she told me that it was done. She then asked if I needed anything else, quite rudely - clearly not an opening to a dialog. I asked if she would consider increasing the discount - she said no. I said that this would be reflected in my review. She said that was fine.
The property itself was, for lack of a better word, tired. It was clean - though the musty smell was strong at times. But, it is an oceanfront property and I understand the constant damp of seaside living.
The view was decent. We had a room at the rear of the property facing the street as opposed to the pool, but we still had a great view of the Gulf, and the WalMart parking lot, quite popular among fools at night.
For us the location was ideal. We were there to go to Schlitterbahn and it is a five minute max drive. The seawall is right across the street. Grocery stores were close by - as were several fast food options. Sitting out on the balcony in the evening was great - it was quiet, you could here the water at times.
All in all it was fine for what we paid for it - with the exception of the hot water problem, and had the hot water worked or I had been treated more fairly, I would have given it a better rating. On a normal day I would say it is a fair price for what you get, especially when you consider the cost of two rooms at a regular hotel.
I have tried to be fair here. I would go back if not for the 'hot water fiasco', and in this I mean the response from the owner and management. I would have been fine with a $100.00 discount on the $379.50 bill. I think that would have been fair. The $50.00 I have been promised seems like "yeah, yeah go away we don't really care", especially with Tava's disregard added to it.
Would I recomend the property to a friend - yes I would! I would just say check everything when you get there and call quickly with any problem.
Also - The pots and pans provided are NOT nonstick. Bring Pam or something. Also dishsoap, sponge, dishwasher soap (well you get one) are not provided. So plan ahead - paper towels, napkins...all that kind of stuff. Also coffee and coffee filters are a good idea.
Hope this helps someone.

Room Tip: Check everything as soon as you get to the room and report any problem immediately. Also bring your...
6 Thank kweber12303
Irving, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had considered staying at one of the regular hotels but, with having older children, we would have needed two rooms. Since the cost was comparable AND we would have a small kitchen to utilize, we chose the Victorian. We were able to have breakfast in the room and could have fixed and eaten other meals if we had wanted to do so. Our room was on the 3rd floor of building 8 facing the ocean and Seawall Blvd. The view was wonderful but I would caution light sleepers from having such as room as noise from the traffic on Seawall Blvd. lasts well into the night. We were also near the trash dumpsters (or maybe it was the dumpsters at the Sonic which was across the street to the east) as early the next morning you could hear them being dumped. Moderate to heavy sleepers will not be bothered by the noise though. Having the condo directly across from the beach and near a street corner where you have a light for crossing to avoid getting run over was convenient and our son and daughter loved the Sonic's location as they were able to easily go across the street to get lunch from the beach. The Victorian also has two swimming pools and spas. We used the pool that was closest to our unit, Waterfall Lagoon, which is big enough to really swim in and was very clean. This pool ranged from 3 foot plus to 5 feet deep. The other pool, which we did not visit, has a design for smaller children. We also did not visit the spas. The pool was a nice way to relax and really swim after being at the beach. Outside showers are available to wash off the beach sand and sea salt before entering the pool to keep it clean. If you have forgotten to bring anything with you, there is also a Walmart conveniently located across the side street behind the Sonic. Overall we found the condo to be clean and well kept with lots of towels available for use, bar soap, a small container of conditioning shampoo, a hair dryer under the sink in one of the bathrooms, a broom and ironing board (don't recall seeing the iron but surely it was there!) in one bedroom closet, and one packet of dishwasher detergent for running the dishwasher prior to leaving. The only thing missing was a set of sheets and pillows for the couch bed (converts to a queen). We probably could have called and asked for them but there were 3 pillows on our bed and she had her blanket with her, so we just made do. If you would need more than one room at a hotel, their price is really good!

Room Tip: Certain rooms have ocean views as they are along Seawall Boulevard but be aware that the street stay...
1 Thank amathteacher
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

The condos are well located. Not too close to pleasure pier but right across the street from the beach. It wasn't spotlessly clean. It did fit my entire family of 5 comfortably. Shower had good pressure but not the bathroom sink. We had enough towels and linens for all the beds. The pools are great. We a view of the ocean. .. and Wally world. I liked the layout of the room. Just wish it had been a little more updated.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank teamvf
Rowlett, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We usually stay at Casa Del Mar for a low price suite in Galveston. The kids have gotten too big for the bunk beds there, so we tried the Victorian. The suite was larger than the ones at Casa Del Mar. Our first room had a toilet that didnt fill right, the maintenance was there very quickly to fix it, but it malfunctioned again, they fixed it again, but still not right. So we requested they move us to a different room, which they did. We had requested a 3rd floor room because we don't like to hear people walking above us, but the room they had available to move us to was on the 1st floor. We did not hear anyone anywhere around us, to the sides, above, outside, nothing, although people were obviously next to us 'cause their stuff was in the landing. Very good sound insulation. We had a very nice ocean/pool view, which was a free upgrade they gave to us. A large pantry/closet was near the kitchen which was large enough for our food (on shelves) and also to stow our extra suitcase. There was a mini fridge, stove, microwave, coffeemaker, dishwasher. Nice seating area for 4 with a barstool at the kitchen bar also. Not super new or fancy, but we werent looking for a 5 star hotel, we were looking for somewhere inexpensive near the beach to shower and sleep and eat breakfast, which was exactly what we got. The daybed nook area was a big hit with my teenage daughter, plenty big enough for her to sleep and she hung out there reading, too. Also there was room for bags under the daybed, which was handy. The balcony was good for drying our beach stuff and sitting and enjoying the ocean view. The pool looked really cool, but we didn't go, we went to the beach instead.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that do not have an ocean view. We were in building 5 and had a nice one.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had put a three bedroom condo on reserve for my daughter and three of her friends for a weekend of summer fun. I had stayed here back in High school and college (80s and 90's). The check in area had been updated and looked nice. Once we got to the elevator all of the facilities true colors started to appear. The elevator was a mess with coke and chips stuck on the floor. The air conditioning vents on each floor were rusted through and a personal hazard if someone was to grab a vent on accident. We got in the room and the rooms had not been updated in years. The walls had door knob holes and the frames had been put together haphazardly with putty and paint. By 10:20 pm, the kids had settled in when they came out of the room and they had been invaded by flying termites. They brought out a white facecloth with 32 flying termites they collected off the bed. I called the front desk and all they had was one room condos to swap out for us. Im not letting 12 and 13 yr old girls stay in a one bedroom condo by themselves (call me over protective). They cleaned the room and bed and left quickly. Upon checkout they just wanted my cash and I didnt even get an apology when I addressed the problem after Management asked me about my stay. I would NEVER RECOMMEND this to anyone!!. I am a world traveler and have stayed in some crappy places, and this is one of them. For $383.00 / night, it was a complete ripoff!!

Room Tip: We had a Gulf view room, but not worth the headaches!!. Avoid this place!!!. The pictures below ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank salezmun66

Travelers are raving about these Galveston hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

They ask for a 2 day minimum, I figured out why once you pass through the front gate you can't turn around, walking to your room wondering why every room has iron bars you finally figure out you in da hood. I will not ever be back I will spend 500 a night elsewhere to make sure I feel safe.

• Stayed July 2013