“stylish hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel

The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Houston
“stylish hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

This hotel was perfect for a little weekend getaway. There is a rooftop bar with a great view, and the lobby has a nice little restaurant. It is within walking distance of several restaurants and The Strand, and is about a 5-10 minute drive to the Seawall and beach access. The room was a good size with hardwood floors and high ceilings. The only drawback is that we had a room facing the lobby and the piano player played until late in the evening. If you are a more of an early bird, it will keep you up.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

Don't expect a trendy, ultra-modern hotel. This is a nicely modernized, historic hotel with high ceilings, hardwood floors, big windows and a big lobby. The bed was very comfy. Free Wi-Fi was nice.

My one nightcap at the bar was very pricey and the late-night bartender seemed bored.
Otherwise, the staff was really friendly- granted I was there on a Tuesday in late March.

I got a great deal on my room (around 1/2 the listed rate) and that makes any room better to me.

Their pool and spa options were off-site, I didn't use either. Parking on the street in front was free when I was there- as the meters weren't functioning? I didn't complain.

My only complaint was my room (can't speak for others) had no desk/chair combination that allowed a person to sit and type or even eat. The two chairs in the room were comfy but they were too short for the table. The solution for me was to go to the lobby- which had a ton of seating and many arrangements that let you get work done.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

I got a great rate over spring break, I usually stay at the Galvez but since I could use their pool it was fine. The Tremont House is a lovely historic hotel and I loved being downtown. It was nice to have the best of both worlds! The staff was super friendly and I became addicted to the Marquis Chocolate Mousse Cake!
Unfortunatly there were issues that kept me from sleeping well. I was placed right next to the "Mardi Gras Gate" which is lit up at night by thousands of watts. My drapes would not close completely as the mechanism was broken and my room was like daylight. I reported it the next day and it was never fixed. I pinned them shut from then on but only the bottom part where I could reach.
The street noise was bad! motorcycles, trucks, drunks, I bought ear plugs.
The housekeeping was eratic. The fist day they did not come at all, from then on I would place the placard on the door asking for service. Sometimes my bed was made, sometimes not...weird....
The rooftop bar was not open or welcoming, hopefully better later in the season.
Overall though was good for the price, I will go back but make sure I am not at the front of the hotel near the noise and mardi gras gate!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank lomozizzle
oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

After booking at this hotel and reading comments of small rooms, pricey parking,e tc, I was a bit worried. No need! the parking is F-R-E-E, rooms are very clean and huge! From the moment they open your car door, until the moment you leave, you are treated like royalty! We stayed in 331, huge with a flat screen TV. MY husband and I went down to the bar where upon finding out that they did not have frozen mixed drinks, they offered to make me a smoothie and let me add my choice of spirits. Everyone was very friendly and happy. The heated towel rack was a bonus! The pictures do not do this hotel justice, book here now, you will not regret it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank chefstacey2007
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I always look forward to staying in a historic property and the Tremont House did not disappoint. My room was simply charming and while updated the owners clearly invested in updating while keeping the historic charm of the space. The room was well appointed and had a fantastic bed. My only complaint about the room would be that there is a lot of noise from the neighboring area (the price you pay for staying a block off The Strand), some things the hotel could have done is provide ear plugs and/or a sound machine as some of my other favorite hotels have done in similar situations.

The lobby area was beautiful with a nice bar area and small cafe. I camped out in the cafe for lunch one afternoon and stayed in one of it's internet booths much longer than anticipated as the coffee was great, the staff was friendly, and no one else seemed to know the cafe was there so I had the place all to myself. I have since gone back to the cafe (though I am not staying at the Tremont any longer) as it's a much more pleasant place to have a cup of coffee and check your email than Starbucks (though it serves Starbucks coffee).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

This is a place to stay if you want to party at the bars nearby and you can sleep soundly during the day. It's beautiful, very nicely appointed. The rooms were clean, although the chairs in our room needed cleaning. The bathroom had a heated towel rack, but Galveston is warm so this is nice, but not necessary. I like a hard bed, but this bed was too hard for even me. The alley side of the hotel is TERRIBLE. So far, two mornings out of two I've be woken up by an extremely loud garbage truck while it's still dark out. Yesterday morning we had employees in the alley yelling at each other for about an hour before we finally called down to the desk. The music from nearby bars echos through the alley and up into your room. You can't open the window, although it sounds as if it were already open, so the room is stuffy at night.

Nice food in the cafe, close to some fun shops, the hotel seems elegant. The lobby is beautiful and a nice place to set in and read during the afternoon. The cafe is nice and serves Starbucks. It's also open pretty late and nice and early. It is not a full restaurant, but there a plenty within walking distance.

Great place if you're 20 something and like to hit the town all night. Oh, but don't expect it to be easy to get to your room - we had cleaning carts parked outside our door (and I mean 4 carts) all day each day.

Oh and the "spa" and pool are offsite at a sister hotel not within walking distance. Transportation is not provided.

I'll post pictures.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kerrville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

I stayed at the Tremont for a Riders in the Sky concert, which was a few blocks away from the hotel, and I liked it a lot. The check-in was pretty smooth, I loved the hotel's decor inside and out, the beds were really comfortable, the room was big and elegant, and I like looking out at the city from the rooftop bar. We tried the Cafe for lunch, and although it was expensive (about $50 for me and my family) I loved what I got (A BBQ chicken flatbread, it makes my mouth water thinking about it.) If you try the Cafe (which is in the beautiful atrium in the hotel), get one of their paninis or a make-your-own flatbread. There were a few slight problems, like the chair in the room being kinda itchy, but nothing too bad. To top it off, this place is not very expensive, about $100 to $135 a night, which, for what I got, is really a bonus, and it's close to the Strand and actually, the cruise terminals, so this is good for a stopover before or after a cruise in Galveston.
Bottom line, this is one of the best hotels on the island, if not THE best hotel on the island, so I highly recommend staying here if you come to Galveston.

P.S. I didn't stay on the 3rd floor, but I hear it's haunted. Owooooooo!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business