“Wonderful Hotel”

The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed June 11, 2006

All I can say is WOW. What a beautiful hotel.

I'm a resident of Houston, and since Galveston Island is only about an hour away, my family has only taken day trips there. Fortunately, we had some out-of-town guest that wanted to spend a couple of days in Galveston, so for the first time, I booked a room for the trip. I can't believe what my family has been missing. I will never miss another opportunity to stay at the Tremont in the future.

The trip was perfect, and I've never said that about any trip. My family and our guest arrived in Galveston on a Thursday about 11:00 a.m. Unfortunately, check in at the Tremont is not until 4:00 p.m., but fortunately, since we had reservations at the Tremont, we had pool privileges at the Galvez (which is a sister hotel on the Seawall). The Galvez is just across the street from the East beach, so we spent the early part of the afternoon swimming and body boarding. When we had our fill of the sand and salt, we walked across the street to the Galvez pool, where the kids swam and we had cocktails. While everyone was enjoying their pool time, I drove over to the Tremont, which is about and mile away and checked everyone in. I then went back to the Galvez to rejoin the family. After we had enough of the pool, we drove over to the Tremont, which everyone in our party was impressed with. It has 15 foot ceilings, crisp white linens, beautiful hardwood floors, and wonderful architecture. How could we not be impressed? After everyone showered and changed, we walked a few block along the stand, which is just one street down from the Tremont, and had a wonderful dinner at Willie Gs. So not only did we have a wonderful day at the beach, which was walking distance from the Galvez, we also had a wonderful evening on the strand, which is walking distance from the Tremont.

I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2006
16  Thank SanchezFamily
There are newer reviews for The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Reviewed June 2, 2006

WOW what a wonderful hotel. The room was beautiful with tall ceilings, woods floors, wonderful linens, etc. Hotel was very quiet, it was like we were the only ones there !!! The personnel was wonderful as well. In addition, the hotel is conveniently located in the Historical district. A must to see !!! We will definately be back !!!

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank awuensche
Reviewed January 23, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Tremont Hotel for one night prior to our cruise out of Galveston. I had booked the hotel based on the reviews from Tripadvisor, and we were happy with our choice! Upon arrival, the check-in was speedy and very friendly. We were early and our room was all ready for us. It was very spacious, with tall ceilings, a king-size bed, and a large bathroom. It was clean and quiet...perfect for a relaxing start to a vacation. We had just flew in from NYC so we decided to take a quick nap, only to be woken up by someone walking into our room and turning on the light. Before our eyes could focus, the lights were shut off and whoever it was had left the room, obviously realizing the room was not vacant. We assumed it was the cleaning service and never forgot to put the "do not disturb" sign out again.

Since we were up, we decided to do some exploring, but found nothing to do on a Saturday night. Most bars and restaurants were closed for the season, and what was open was similar to fast-food joints. My suggestion, come for the summer and don't plan an extended stay in the winter for anything other than business. We could just tell the city is charming and bustling during the warmer days, but it lacked personality during our January stay.

On the morning of our cruise, we called room service for a bite before our departure. Almost an hour later it had not yet arrived, and when we called down, they denied ever getting our call. So, we cancelled it and decided to walk around and try to find something more efficient to eat. After a few sandwiches from Quiznos (the only place open on Sunday), we arrived back at the Tremont just in time for check out. We had a little time to spare before boarding our cruise, so we sat at the bar, had a few glasses of champagne and enjoyed the piano playing. We were told this gentleman has been playing every Sunday for decades, and he was fantastic! We then took a walk up to the roof-top terrace which had a superb view of the Strand District and of the cruises arriving into the ports. It must be perfect to sit up there on a warm summer night and enjoy the surroundings.

On our arrival back in Galveston after our cruise, we actually decided to walk back to the Tremont Hotel and have brunch before our ride to the airport. The bellhops held our luggage aside for us. Although the service in the restaurant was extremely slow, the food was outstanding.

For the price (we paid a little less than $100 for the Saturday night stay) and location inside the Strand District, this hotel was the perfect stay for our pre-cruise experience. I don't know if I will ever visit Galveston again, but if it's for leisure, I'll be sure to book it during the summer months and definitely at the Tremont Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2006
11  Thank MicheleNY
Reviewed January 6, 2006

We stayed at Tremont House prior to embarking on a cruise out of Galveston. Our stay was for one night - which happened to be Christmas Night 2005.

We were greeted warmly at the curb, our rental vehicle was promptly handled by the valet and our bags whisked away by a very friendly bellman.

My wife and I were assigned Room 302 which had high ceilings and was beautifully appointed with fine furniture and high quality draperies and bed linens and a LARGE king bed. The bed, itself, was ultra comfortable. The room and bath were meticulously clean and had many extra touches - like a towel warming rack using warm circulating water! Room service breakfast was served exactly when requested and was prepared perfectly.

My sons were assigned Room 320 which contained two queen beds and equally fine appointments. If anything, there room was a bit larger than ours and they were more than pleased. (See pictures of the rooms and hotel!)

Before departing for our cruise I used the fitness room which was handy and well equipped. Extra towels and chilled water in the fitness room were nice touches.

We dined in the hotel restaurant on Christmas Night (one of the few business of any kind open in Galveston that night). Food there was superb (I have reviewed it elsewhere). Served to us were the best crab cakes I've ever tasted (and I've tasted MANY)!

One last point. American Airlines lost our checked baggage and did not deliver them when promised. I left the details and phone numbers with the front desk when checking in. We were worried due to our imminent cruise boarding when the bags did not come the next morning. My wife and I went for a walk and, about 9:00 as we were coming back, a van pulled up with our bags. I questioned the driver about whether they had heard from American. He said no but that he HAD heard from the Tremont and he was delivering the bags post haste based on their "urging". THAT, my friends, is service.

My wife and I have stayed in umpteen hotels over the years, some the finest in the world. I would not hesitate to recommend the Tremont House to anyone should they be travel to or near Galveston, it is the epitome of comfort and has excellent service.

• Stayed: December 2005
31  Thank IrishYankE
Reviewed August 24, 2005

We took my elderly parents on a trip to Galveston and stayed at The Hotel Tremonte. It was a wonderful experience. The staff was extremely helpful and their handicap room was very nice. In the evenings, my husband and I would get away for a romantic evening at the Terrace on the rooftop. Very romantic place when the sun has gone down and you just want to unwind from the day. I would highly recommend this hotel. This is a wonderful historical hotel with high ceilings and a feeling of the past. This is a great hotel for a romantic weekend getaway. Would highly recommend a carriage ride from the hotel to view the victorian homes.

• Stayed: July 2005
11  Thank Adorable326
A TripAdvisor Member
santa Maria, CA
Reviewed July 29, 2005

The Tremont was a very charming hotel. The loby was very bright and comfortable with a friendly staff. The rooms were very large and comfortable. And the restaurant was very nice.
The Tremont is on the strand and it seemed to be on the quiet side of town. The hotel was also very quiet. We went over to the Hotel Galvez, the sister Hotel, and it seemed to have more families there and it seemed to be busier.
And they have a very nice rooftop lounge. It was a little to warm for us, but it would be nice on a cool night.
The parking was $10.00 a night, but we never had a problem parking on the steet in front of the hotel. If you start your day before 9:00 A.M. the parking is free.

Jill S.
Santa Maria, CA

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 18, 2005

A friend from Colorado joined me in Galveston at the Tremont. We drove down from Conroe and enjoyed everything up to the check out time when the car was brought to the front to load. The right headlamp and casing was shattered. I reprted to the desk, An hour later they responded.
Tremont stated they had questioned the bellman who parked it and he said he had not done this damage. When I walked down to the lot from the hotel, there was my headlamp glass and part of the casing on the ground next to the post he obviously had hit when parking it.
Up until this point we had enjoyed a great restaurant, service and accomodations. Do not assume your car is safe unless you take photoes and document the condition of your car before the valet service parks your car.
I have a long memory and have spent hundreds of dollars in Galveston since that time but never at the Tremont. Try San Louis Resort. They stand behind the consumer.

• Stayed: July 1999