“Restored historic property”

The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed January 9, 2012

The hotel is a well-done restoration. The only problems are that hall noise travels and most recreation facilities are at the sister Hotel Galvez some blocks away. The Tremont is near the port area where there are a number of restaurants and shops while the Galvez overlooks the beach - and noisy seawall drive (called a mudwall by one reviewer of Galveston sites).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,269)

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This past December (2011) I stayed at the Tremont for the 4th time during Dickens on the Strand (http://www.dickensonthestrand.org) weekend in Galveston. Every year it just gets better and better. The staff is very professional and helpful in everything. The only problem we had was we were trying to borrow an umbrella and the door man said it was fine but the manager was not in agreement. There was a break down in communication between the manager and door man but it was somewhat straightened out. I will still stay there no matter what. The Suites are great on either side of the hotel. I recommend staying here for any visit to Galveston.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room. IF you get a room on the interior and newer portion of the hotel, you'l...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My husband and I wanted a bit of time for ourselves before we entered the holiday relative visits. We couldn't have done better than the Tremont in Galveston.

First of all, despite what I've read in some other reviews, the Tremont House makes no secret of its location in historical downtown Galveston--AWAY from the beach. In fact, that is one of the things about this hotel that makes it a perfect get away for a couple who wants something beyond the beach--especially a - how shall I say this- um, more *seasoned* couple. If your interests are party, party, party, beach and junk food, this area of Galveston may not be for you. If, instead, you're interested in history, art, great food and eclectic shops, the Tremont House is a great location since all of those things are just steps away.

The staff here is friendly, helpful and will do everything possible to make you comfortable and happy. The on site food is tasty (although you'll most often decide to try some of the amazing restaurants just around the corner or down the street); the morning coffee and breakfast offerings (and staff) are excellent. A standard room here is clean and comfortable, but like others, if you don't want noise from the street, try to get an interior room on a higher floor; we were on the 4th and heard NOTHING when what was apparently a big thunderstorm blew through. If you want to splurge, go for a suite. When we expressed an interest in returning and perhaps staying in one, we were allowed to tour. Suites are large and beautiful.

There is a lobby bar, but if weather permits, check out the roof top bar after 4. The view of the Strand and historical old Galveston is quite nice.

Valet parking is offered, but is not mandatory since there is on street metered parking. The cost is about the same, so why wait for a valet?

There is no pool on site, but you have access to the pool at the Galvez (which is another delightful spot in Galveston-but not what we wanted this time).

I truly can't say enough good things about the staff here. When I managed to get a last minute appointment at The Spa at the Hotel Galvez, they hustled me right over in the shuttle. When you arrive, there is usually someone there to open the door for you--same for departures. The staff is always smiling and helpful.

We love it here. It's classy without being stuffy, convenient to beautiful shops, dining and pubs... We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melz50
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We've stayed here before and recently went back for Dickens on the Strand. I love it even more now! Honestly, this is one of my favorite hotels period. If it was in San Fran or DC instead of Galveston, it would be $500 a night. This is the perfect location for Dickens on the Strand!!! We had a room where the doors opened up to the center lobby area and were able to listen to the live enterainment while laying in bed. I loved it!!! So relaxing.

I also love the rooftop bar to sit out on and relax and sunset. Mixed drinks are a little pricey at the rooftop bar, but you certainly can't beat the ambiance or watching the sunset. After having a couple of pricey mixed drinks, we ultimately ended up buying a bottle of champagne which was actually not bad priced. That is the way we will go from now on.

Amazing location close to strand, shopping and restaraunts! Can't beat the location ANYWHERE on the island!!! Will definately come back next year for more Dickens and will stay here again!

My only small complaint is that the room service isn't the greatest. Neither the service nor the food is stellar. There are so many great restaraunts within walking distance that there really isn't any reason at all not to just eat somewhere that is REALLY good. We like Yaga's and M&M's for lunch and dinner. This is also a breakfast place that is called the ?something? Pharmacy just up the road that serves really good breakfast that I highly recommend. Another great place to eat is Guido's. It is only a short drive away. Their crab/cheesecake appetizers was to DIE FOR.

Another thing I love about this Hotel is that it seems to attract more couples and a slightly more mature crowd. My husband and I are in our 30's so I don't mean elderly. I just mean that it doesn't seem to attract as many obnoxious partiers or people who let their 12 kids run around unsupervised...which is generally what I have experienced at its sister hotel down on the beach.

Again, HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend. It is always a great time!!! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2011

Thanks for your review. I am glad you found your stay so enjobable. The Tremont House is great for couples as you mentioned. While families and everyone are welcome the hotel is perfect for couples get a ways while families traveling with children often prefer Hotel Galvez and Spa on the Seawall. Sorry your room service experience was not what you preferred - we can do better. By the way, we don't think San Fran or DC have anything on Galveston! Please come back soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

We booked a cruise out of Galveston leaving Sunday Nov. 27th 2011 and needed a place to stay. We decided to pick this hotel because it was really close to the cruise ship terminal, and it was a Wyndham Grand hotel so I knew my expectations would be high.
This hotel did not disappoint. We had a great two night stay here, and everyone was very friendly. The Valet service was $15.00 and the young men were helpful and polite. While walking down the hallway housekeeping would say hello and wish you a good day. The bedroom was a standard room and had high ceilings and a great view of the cruise ships. We never ate at the hotel, but did have coffee and drinks downstairs, a lovely atmosphere.
I'm taking another cruise next year, and I'll be booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room looking towards the water.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at The Tremont House A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2011

Thank your for stayinig with us before your cruise. We are just two blocks from the cruise terminal and if you book our cruise package you can leave your car with us while you cruise so you don't have to move your car to a lot and you save by not paying for cruise parking. We look forward to seeing you on your next cruise.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Stayed one night on 26 Nov prior to our cruise. A lovely hotel in the downtown district great old building but recently refurbished to a very high boutique style standard, lovely comfortable bed and bathrooms. Nice piano bar in the evenings for a drink. We had a 2nd floor room and would agree with the other comments that the oustide rooms can be slightly noisey and and trash men appear to arrive in the middle of the night but otherwise a great location for one evening before a cruise very handy for the cruise terminal. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Choose either a high floor or interior room as outside street rooms can be noisey
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I've stayed here probably 18 times in the last 5 or 6 months. It is simply one of my favorite placds to stay, period. It's more of a boutique hotel than your average Wyndham. I've probably had the msot friendly service here than any other place I've stayed. It's a historical building which one of my good friend's mother once owned as it was in their family before it was converted back to a hotel in the 1980's. If you like being downtown, this is the place to stay in one of the most historical cities in Texas. Walking distance to many attractions, restaurants. I should know, I lived around the corner up until 1997. The rooftop bar has had a wonderful make-over and has an excellent view of downtown. Definitely check it out of weather permits.

Room Tip: No pool on site, but you have privilages at the Hotel Galvez. Small gym on site, but again you can g...