“Fantastic!”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Kansas
Reviewed January 16, 2006

This is THE place to stay in Galveston Island.
I would not stay anywhere else. I have to be honest..we did not love the Galveston Island area itself...but we loved this resort!! There were many days where instead of heading over to the horribly crowded beach we stayed at the resort and enjoyed the fantstic pool and waterslide that my children loved! If we ever go back to Galveston Island we will definately stay here.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,516)

Reviewed January 3, 2006

If you are looking for a great hotel that has great service this is the place to stay. The pool is heated so you can go in the winter. Great slide that goes into a cold pool. The rooms are spacious and the hall ways are not bad either. The entrance to this hotel is also great got to see it to understand. We got it for $119 minus our 10% AAA membership. It was well worth it and if you get that price you should stay.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank Muhammed K
Reviewed November 17, 2005

The San Luis is an awesome resort. The hotel lobby is beautiful. The rooms are very clean. The view is great, overlooking the gulf. The best part of the resort is the pool complex. My children had the best time. The slide that winds through the rock waterfall was very entertaining. The heated grotto pool underneath the waterfall is relaxing. The main pool is huge and heated. I would recommend this place to anyone coming to Galveston. It may be a little pricey, but it is well worth it.

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank OutlawCruiser
Reviewed November 13, 2005

It sounds from the other reviews you cant be a frequent traveler or go during season.

We(spouse) went off season and had a wonderful evening. We loved the the appearance of the lobby it was gorgeous. Our room had a view that would take your breath away. Our only complaint was the size of the room and yes the bedding was horrible. I think you can get a better comforter at the $1 store.

We ate at the Steakhouse where the service and food was remarkable. Get the sponge cake with the chocolate pouring out - the best dessert ever! YOU NEED a reservation - we didnt know and almost ate somewhere else - so glad we didnt. After dinner we went to the bar - great piano playing.

The pool was great - swim up bar - not open because of the season but it was cool seeing it with a hut - palm trees oh my - i live in NY. water slide hurt my ankle so only went on twice but i couldnt even believe they had - hot tub was great.

Breakfast was good but service lacked after being treated so well at the steakhouse the evening before, but it was still good

So because of the price we only stayed one night then stayed at Quality - BAD mistake stay there the whole time.

Everyone kept asking if we were married and refered to us my mrs and mr. Did you just get engaged? it was neverending...we were just bf gf at the time - now we are engaged!

Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank hb3467
Canadian, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2005

I have been going to Galveston Isle, every year since I can remember. I was born and raised and currently live in the Amarillo area. I am a true Texian. I am now 37 years old. Fond fond memories of my childhood are now being past down. I love this resort. WE load up the car and drive down every year and will continue to do so. Flying is a great option as well. Go into Hobby, rent a convertible. Go for it. I can take the kids, or just the wife, and even just me and brother will fly down for a quick weekend. This resort is fantastic. You cant beat it. I have tried and stayed at EVERY place there is to stay on this Isle, and I promise you, this is the one. ITs pricey. Yes, but oh so worth it. Other hotels are going to be on the old side, or not on the sea-wall, or no balcony. YOU must, have this balcony view. The pool, is just perfect. Get a top floor reservation, its a little more, but makes it that much better. You must stay on the top floors. Again, there are other hotels that are very nice, but they just dont have the view. They dont have this pool. They DONT have this balcony. Try it out. No regrets. Remember, your on vacation...splurge ! Nothings worse than to leave the Isle and think" Gee..I wish I would have stayed there..."...At least try one night. I cant see why anyone would not enjoy the stay here. Pick the time of year, not so crowded times, and be smart about it. This place is the ONE. Im going back in January. Never been in the winter months. I look very forward to it. ;)

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2005

Loved the Resort. We have stayed at the San Luis Resort twice, once in October 2004 and again in March 2005. In October we had just spent two nights at the Hilton but changed to the San Luis because the pool at the Hilton was freezing cold. Loved the pool at the San Luis Resort. It was perfect for the end of October and the pool was open late into the night. The rooms were ok, the best part was the balconey overlooking the ocean. Service was very good and everyone was very friendly. We liked it so much that we stayed an extra night. We had a return visit in March and it was just as good.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank Travelwiz1
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Just spent the weekend at the San Luis resort. Husband's 50th birthday so we splurged for the "best." Had three kids with us, ranging from 17 to 10. Got there after fightting Houston rush hour traffic, only to find they had us on a smoking floor. Youngest with asthma and that absolutely would not work. I had originally requested 2 double beds on a non-smoking floor. They only thing they had available was a king size bed but would give us 2 air mattresses. Wow, not what we had bought in for at $259 a night!!! One of the air mattresses went flat midway through the night to boot. Next day got switched to double beds on a non-smoking floor and it was a better night. This is a very pricey hotel with very little to show for it. We had to haul our luggage down to be stored while they switched our rooms the second day. Cart available WITH a bell hop and I refused to pay extra for what should have been a service for free for the mess-up. Coffee available downstairs and in the room, but absolutely nothing else in terms of a continental breakfast. We have stayed at condos on the gulf coast of Florida for less money with much better amenities. The pool was way too crowded and the water was pretty cloudy and dirty. The slide was fun and our youngest really enjoyed that. Absolutely would not stay there again. Looked like there were quite a few other hotels around that would have probably had more to offer a family. Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc. We plan on returning to the area in December and will look elsewhere for sure!!!!

• Stayed: August 2005