“H2O Pool Bar”

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Groesbeck, Texas
“H2O Pool Bar”
Reviewed August 13, 2009

This is the 2nd year in a row where the H20 Pool Bar over charged my credit card for drinks. Neither the bar manager or hotle would even return my calls or would say they would investigate and call back but never did. There really should be an agency to investigate these practices.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank sheryl711

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2009

After hearing about the luxury of the San Luis for years. We finally went for Fourth of July. It was packed!! There had to be people all over the place who were not guests there. There were lines for the elevators, lines for the bar, lines for the pool bathrooms, lines everywhere. The pool was much smaller than I expected, shallow and was a nice 95 degrees - in the water- the bar scene spills into the pool and they all were smoking and their ashes and ciagette buts were floating everywhere in the pool. Every seat was full and since the water was so dirty and gross - we never went back to the pool after the firat day. The service was non-existant - we called for fresh towels and they never came , we called again and they never came again. The sushi bar only has four seats which were filled with grungy people smoking. The room smelled of mold and the windows were covered with bird poop - so much for a view! The bathroom was small and unventilated. I wish we had stayed somewhere else.

1 Thank Always4travel
Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Likes: Beautiful hotel interior and exterior. Nice pool area and bars. Kids center on the 4th floor is small but but made my 4 year old happy, and the two ladies working were very friendly. My four year old didn't want to leave! Bathroom of the "premier" rooms are lovely. Nice staff. Quite. The valet value/charge is great: $10/overnight regardless of number of times in and out.

Dislike: Cafe was overpriced. Halls of the hotel were hot. The pool bar (called H20) and pool itself are opened to the public so anyone can use them during there open hours. Our door was not aligned, so it was very load when opening and closing the doors...so was our neighbors.

Things to note: Half of the hotel has newly remodeled rooms, referred to as "premier rooms". I didn't know this when booking online and got a regular room which was nice, but nothing better that of a holiday inn, and for the price I paid was expecting something a little nicer. I ended up moving rooms to one of the premier rooms and it was definitly worth it. Now I felt like I was more in a luxury hotel. So if you go be sure to ask for a premier room. If you get to the pool late note that some of the floats and noodles in the pool are the hotels and for your use.

We stayed one night here and one hight at the moody gardens hotel. I have two little ones, and the moody gardens hotel was better for my family b/c of all the entertainment and activity the hotel had that focused on children. This one would be better off with no children.

texas
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We stay at the San Luis every summer and we have never encountered any problems. The staff has always been great, rooms clean, poolside service wonderful. As a matter of fact we are going back for Thanksgiving weekend for a mini holiday vacation. Maybe the people who have problems with the staff and such are problems themselves.

Michigan
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Me and my colleagues stayed here for 3 weeks while working on a local oil rig. While the amenities are nice and the room was clean, I can't recommend this hotel to anyone on business.

The pool/bar closes at 11:00pm, so you have children and drunks roaming the halls from 11:00pm until whenever. Twice I had drunk people sliding keys in my door and pulling/twisting the handle until they realized they were at the wrong room. Adding to the noise is the fact that right in front of the door to your room is tile flooring, and about a one inch gap under the door. The people being loud outside sounded like they were in my room.

The company I worked for paid for our hotel stay, so I wasn't really out any money. But I would never spend my own money at this hotel, especially considering what they charge.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Darkrunner
Houston
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Hotel is nice and clean, and rooms are quiet with very nice toiletries from Molton Brown. Now...the bad part. Service at the pool is terrible. Empty cups littered the pool area during the entire duration of our stay, which we did not expect given the price point of the hotel. Lots of employees standing around with very few actually helping guests. I took my family to a poolside table in hopes of having a nice lunch. First, we waited 15 minutes for our drinks to arrive after placing an order. They had been watered down once they arrived and in desperation waiting for the waitress to come by to get us refills, I actually got up and got my own from the bar. I was not the only guest who had to do this. After waiting almost an hour for our food (hamburgers and grilled cheese, not a complicated order) I finally had to walk up to the server's area (wouldn't have been able to get our waitresses attention otherwise) and canceled our order. My whole point here is that, if you are going to the San Luis to relax poolside, have some drinks and some food in a clean environment, I strongly recommend staying somewhere else. For basic lodging (which was all we were really able to enjoy) there are much more cost-effective options available. Will not be going back.

Houston, TX
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The bright and cheery colors around the pool are a nice contrast with the blue skies and sea-foam green ocean. The San Luis also has cabanas and a poolside bar if you need to chill in the shade.

The San Luis Resort is kind of a disco too, so you will feel like you are in Cancun.

The bar menu is expensive, but the food is refreshing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo