“Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Louisiana
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have stayed in all of the upscale hotels on the seawall and I must say this is the absolute best. Every room has an ocean view. While the inside is fantastic, the poolside is beautiful, especially at night. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. While valet parking is pricey, you can self park in the back of the hotel for free. Their off season rates are incredible. Well worth a try.

Room Tip: The higher up you are, the better the view.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thanks for staying with us when you visit Galveston. Great note that we do offer lots of complimentary self parking to our guests. See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Last weekend I decided to take some time to myself and traveled to Galveston, TX. This is my 5th time of staying at this hotel.. I absolutely love the San Luis. This time though I stayed on the top floor. Only the 15th & 16th floors have floor security (w/ room key on elevator). The view is spectacular. While the room is nice and there is a continental breakfast available on the top 2 floors, my favorite are the balconies. Each room has a spacious balcony and they all face the ocean. Not too many other hotels in Galveston have this. Cost was $179.00 for one night (AAA or Landry's card is 10% off). Surely not your cheapest but also not your most expensive hotel room in Galveston. The hotel was still decorated for the holidays and looked lovely. The staff was very courteous and efficient. The night was chilly but I sat at the H20 bar next to the heated pool. There was a fire pit and standing heaters going strong. Everyone was having a grand time. I thought of going inside for dinner but hated to leave so I ordered a hamburger. Delicious !! The drinks were tasty also. The hotel is located on the main street with easy access to other restaurants and shopping. The Pleasure Pier can be seen but is a 2 mile walk. I will be staying here the next time. !!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Musictchr2
Thanks for choosing to stay with us as a repeat guest! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have not stayed at the resort yet. However, I wanted to write this review in favor of the reservation department. Melanie in reservations is the main reason we picked this resort. I called several in the area and she was the only one interested in why my husband and I were coming to Galveston. Once I explained why she was more than accommodating to me. Out of all the places I called she made me want to come stay at The San Luis Resort! Thank You Melanie for taking the time to talk with me about our upcoming stay! I am sure it will be a great stay for our Honeymoon in May 2014!

1 Thank Brhea713
Thank you for your great compliments on Melanie in our Reservations Department! She is an asset to our team and we will share your feedback with our management team
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have stayed here three times, in the VIP penthouse floor rooms. It is pretty and the view is outstanding.

However, it's not worth it.

The food is overpriced and not that great. My bed linens had two holes in them this last time. Since we were the only ones staying on this floor this time, they didn't realize (?) we were there and didn't serve the continental breakfast until we called to ask where it was. I also had to request two robes, since they only left us one for two people.

One has to pay extra for a microwave and fridge in some rooms.

This place tries very hard to be swanky, but it's just not. My days of giving them leeway for improvement are over.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RiverBirch1967
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We certainly apologize for no breakfast being served. We typically stock our guest rooms with only one robe but will gladly bring additional if they are requested. We do have some equipped with a microwave and mini-fridge- our reservations team is happy to upgrade our guests if tell us you would like a room with these amenities. We hope you enjoyed your time in Galveston.
Seabrook, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Went down to the San Luis on a Fri. night after the Holidays. The Resort's public areas are very nice and modern. Check-in was a breeze.

Had a clean room but our first disappointment was when we pulled down the bed covers. The sheets were a greenish-grey color. They were thin and wrinkled. The San Luis is still using pilled blankets that need to be thrown away. I always love the feel of nice Hotel Linens; white, crisp sheets. The San Luis needs to upgrade.

We had Dinner Reservations at the Hotel's upscale Restaurant, The Steakhouse, for 7:30PM. We arrived at 7:25 and were asked to sit in the Bar until they had a table available. I noticed empty tables, but we sat down and waited. At 7:55 we saw a couple go in and say they were there for their 7:30 reservation. They were escorted straight in. So it was time to complain. We were told that these people originally had their Reservation for 6:30 and they had changed it to 7:30. That excuse didn't make sense to us, and 5 minutes later we had a table, (even though it was in the middle of the walk path to the Rest Rooms). The food was delicious but we did have to wait 20 minutes between our Appetizer and Salad Courses. When we inquired about our Salads, they appeared soon after. After Dinner we decided to walk outside to H20, the Hotel's Premier Outdoor Bar at the Pool. They advertise the Pools are heated and they had heaters and a fire-pit going on the Patios. Thought we could get an After Dinner Drink, but we soon realized this is where parents dump off their children. It was 9:30 at night and no one was in the Pool except screaming kids. No parents to be seen. They were even sitting at the Swim Up Bar. Not my idea of a quiet way to end our night. So I don't think we will be back to the San Luis. Guess we will have our next Vacation Weekend at The Tremont or The Galvez.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PartyMartiniHouse
Thank you for staying with us. We have shared your feedback regarding The Steakhouse and H2o with our managers to follow up on your comments.
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was going to stay at the Hilton next door but the 2 receptionist weren't one bit friendly or nice so turned around and walked next door. Beautiful entrance, lovely Xmas smell, got an excellent rate for 2 adults and 2 kids and got and upgrade to the top floor. Beautiful rooms with stunning views across the sea. Good Molton Brown Toiletries. Kids swam for 2 hours in the heating pool. We seat by the heaters having a few drinks watching them. Continental breakfast available on our top floor. Overall a very nice stay, Think it was one of the nicest hotels we stayed in during the Texas trip but a lot of it is down to the very nice staff. If a hotel has a good manager the staff know how to treat clients well and I certainly felt that all the staff I came across in this hotel understand the hospitality industry ( Porter, waiters, poolside bartenders, receptionists, Caretaker ( an a minor issue with the lift).... Top Marks to this hotel manager for having such a good crew.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Happy Holidays and thanks for staying with us during your time in Galveston. We're glad your family was able to enjoy our heated pool and complimentary continental breakfast on our VIP floor.
Magnolia, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We checked into San Luis Resort January 4. When we got to our room we discovered there was no cable TV. I called the front desk and was informed they were doing a cable upgrade and it would be back on shortly. I really wanted to watch the NFL wild card game in my room. Two and one half hours later we went to the front desk and talked to the manager. She said there was an equipment failure but if we wanted to go to the outside bar or second floor we could do that. There was no effort to make the guest happy just a take it or leave it attitude. No offer of a comp. We checked out of that hotel and went to the Tremont. Best move we could have made.

3 Thank Ron47e
We recently upgraded our television system throughout our hotel and the upgrade affected each guest room during the installation. We have multiple tv's at our outdoor bar as well as our indoor bar and should have suggested those options to you. We apologize for this inconvenience but hope you enjoyed your stay in Galveston.