“Great hotel!! Great staff!! There are a couple if improvements needed.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The San Luis Resort

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Denton, Texas
“Great hotel!! Great staff!! There are a couple if improvements needed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during a conference and I was very happy that they chose this hotel again. The staff were all very courteous, professional and helpful. Starting with Byron and all the others at the desk to the wait staff, housekeeping, etc.. This resort is one of the best in Galveston for business conferences or just a good relaxing vacation! The only improvements I feel are needed is (1) The air conditioners in the rooms are the loudest I have ever heard. They will wake you up when they turn on at night. They also probably need a good ac cleaning on the indoor units as the one in my room had a musty smell.
(2) This one is not such a big deal but the wifi needs a boost of some kind. It will drop out and has a pretty weak signal most of the
time. It is free wifi so I hated to even mention it, but most cheaper hotels offer free wifi that works better. I don't know if it has to do with size of the hotel or what.
Overall I always enjoy my stay here and would recommend it if you head to Galveston.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We've recently upgraded our guest room internet speed so we hope you'll see an improvement the next time you stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
La Porte, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed a long weekend for our 23rd wedding anniversary and had a fabulous time. They knew it was our anniversary from when I made the reservations and it felt like we were treated like royalty. From the hotel bar to The Steakhouse, everything was wonderful and I don't think I could have had a better time. Even the spa was the best I had ever been to. I am thinking about booking a long weekend for my birthday in December. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Happy Anniversary! We're so pleased you chose to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back for your birthday later this year!
Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and her siblings met here for a few days and it was an enjoyable experience. I did not expect it to be as crowded, since it was late August and we were there Sunday thru Tuesday. I learned later that school had not started yet in the area.

The facility was nice and all the staff was helpful, knowledgeable, and were courteous. The on site restaurants were good but a little pricey, but I guess it is the cost for convenience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thanks for staying with us for an end-of-August escape! We're glad you enjoyed all of our amenities and appreciate your feedback.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have stayed in many hotels in Galveston and we like the San Luis the very best. The rooms have always been upscale, very comfortable, quiet, and clean. There is a small balcony and from many of the rooms you have a view of the beach. The hotel is very attractive--not new but not antique, just very nice. One time we had a little problem--the room they gave us had 2 queen beds rather than a king. So we called the desk and they gave us a free upgrade to an even better room with a king bed. Sometimes there has been a live band at the outside bar. And it's right on the beach. It can be pricey but we have found dates when we have been able to stay for about $99 per night. And there is a (24 hr?) IHOP restaurant on the corner of the parking lot plus Landry's Seafood across the street. And you can stay here and leave your car for a week while you're going out on a cruise. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a view of the beach
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We love repeat guests- thanks for continually returning to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!
Edgewood, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

What can I say about the San Luis Resort? I can say that all three times I’ve stayed there it has been for a conference. I can say that all three times I’ve had exactly the same experience. So, I guess I can say it is consistent.

This trip I spent most of my time in the lower level Conference Center. The meeting room was fine and temperature comfortable. The continental breakfast and snacks had a nice variety, and was plentiful. We had a buffet lunch one day in the restaurant, and it was very good with attentive service. We had lunch the second day at the Grotto. I enjoyed it as well.

The guest rooms to me are quite dated, but the room, bed, and pillows were comfortable and clean. The bathroom could use a remodel, but the amenities are very nice. I didn’t have any hand towels in the bathroom so I used the extra bath towel. The towels were almost threadbare. Probably the most bothersome thing in my room this trip was the death-rattle the AC had when it cycled on and off. It was very unpleasant, and I was glad for my habit of carrying earplugs when I am on the road. It is also nearly impossible to cool the room to a comfortable temperature at night.

I wish I had time to enjoy the balcony in the evening, because it is my favorite part of the hotel.

I am not sure though if I would choose this hotel for a holiday. I think it’s fine for a conference, but I prefer the accommodations at Moody Gardens.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
Thanks for sharing feedback about your stay during a conference with us. We're pleased you were able to experience Grotto- it offers some amazing views of the Gulf! We are remodeling our bathrooms, so the next time you are visiting you can request a guest room that has been refreshed. Thank for you staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family of 4 adults & 3 children (7, 8 & 11) just spent a 3 day weekend at the San Luis Resort. Great stay as we believe a Holiday is what you make it. Staff all very helpful & pool area kept very clean.
Only gripe would be the bedroom, they can certainly do with being refurbished! Our bathroom was tiny & a bit grotty!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We love guest feedback and it's because of you that many of our rooms will be upgraded in the coming months! Thanks for staying with us!
Jonesborough, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

To be fair, I was there during the last days of summer vacation time, and the place was packed! It is very large. Turn in between the IHOP and the property, and take that road to the back of the hotel - there is a free, covered garage parking behind the hotel. This was not immediately obvious to me (signage would have been nice), but I knew there had to be another option besides the IHOP parking lot and valet parking (expensive!).
This is a very large hotel that hosts conventions, weddings, business conferences, in addition to vacationers. I think one of the problems is that it is trying to be all things to all people. The pool area looked very nice, but it was too hot to swim the day I was there (heat index of 110).
Strengths: I got excellent service from Bryon and other staff members. I needed computer access, and they made it happen, letting me use the computer at the concierge desk.
Weaknesses: The "business center" is really out of date and tiny for a hotel this size, which is why I needed Byron's help in the first place.
Room: I was put in a one-bedroom in the "condos," which is the smallest one-bedroom I've ever stayed in - actually a tiny studio. This was fine for me, as I was there by myself on business, but two would have been a crowd. Also, housekeeping had forgotten to check the balcony, so I found a coffee cup with old coffee and an empty pack of cigarettes out there. But again, they were super-busy. I slept fine, noise was not a problem, and the wake-up call service person was extremely courteous.
Bottom line: If I had payed for this property, I probably would have been less satisfied, mostly due to the sheer numbers of people they were trying to juggle the Monday I was there. A hotel can get too big, and I think the San Luis has jumped that shark, at least in early August. If I were coming here on vacation, I might try it on the off season. I really did appreciate the service I received, though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BedfordFalls
Thanks for commenting about the service you received. We pride ourselves in providing five-diamond service to each and every guest. We hope you'll return this fall, when the weather is a bit cooler and the summertime crowds have faded.